Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

If you send your kids to Christian school...

What are you looking for in that school? What is important to you? Feel free to add anything and everything that is important to you.

Examples:
small class sizes
Christian curriculum
playground equipment
facilities themselves
teacher certifications

I am doing some research for my school. I would just like to get an informal idea of what parents are looking for. Thank you so much if you take the time to answer!

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you send your kids to Christian school...

When I looked for a school, price was a major factor. Also, do the beliefs align with what I believe? My girls have been to three different denominations of schools. All three were different denoms than the church I go to, but the beliefs were similar enough that I was comfortable. Mariah goes to a Lutheran school now. I like it for it's small classrooms, the combined grades (she is in a 3/4th grade class), and family like atmosphere. Everyone knows everyone else. I also appreciate the attention to music. Music is really important to me. Every teacher there has a piano in his/her room and can play. Music is huge there. I love that my daughter will have the same teacher for two years. Academics isn't a huge factor for me. I look more for the right kind of learning environment for her, but I am not necessarily concerned with the level of academics. I know that sounds weird, but I'm more concerned with how she adjusts in the classroom because of her needs. That's another thing. If a school can't work with my child then it's a no go. Fortunately she has an awesome teacher who understands her and works with us. So those are all important things to me.

ETA: I look for Christian curriculum too and the general christian atmosphere. .One school they went to was not very "Christian" in beliefs. It seems like they did their token bible class and lunch prayer and that was the extent of it. I love Mariah's school now because about 1/3 of their education is in bible lessons, memory work, hymn work, etc. They take time to pray for many things, not just lunch and snack or whatever. They seem very bible based. So that is important as well.

Last edited by DalesWidda; 12-30-2012 at 05:56 AM.
DalesWidda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

We looked at the ACCS (Association of Classical Christian Schools) website, and kind of went from there with phone calls and visits. We had a very specific list of thing we wanted (Christian and classical being the two big criteria), and that list probably would be different for each family, but when we found the school we wanted to send him to, it just sort of clicked at the interview for all of us, if that makes sense.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
aprilmadison
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't consider myself Christian but my sons go to a Methodist schools. They go there because the classes are small, the teachers are kind and nuturing, and the academics are the best in the area by far. The public schools around here suck, and there is one non-religious private school but it is for $20,000 a year, which isn't an option for us. The fact that my children learn about Christ doesn't bother me, I figure it teaches them history and morals. As long as they are learning to love others and not judge, it is a positive thing.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

The most important thing for me was the beliefs they teach. They had to align with what we believe. I would never send my kid to a school that taught things outside of our beliefs. The other things we considered were class size, academics, athletics, and teachers.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd is only 5 months old but we've started looking/thinking about private christian schools and these are the things important to me (in the order of important)

High academic standards
Beliefs and curriculum line up with ours
College prep/AP courses
Many different languages not just standard Spanish
Focus not just on reading/math but on other subjects as well
Lots of extra curriculars for the older grades at least intro music for younger
Price

I think that's it but we are just starting out so maybe I'm missing forgetting something!

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

I also would want to know their rates for getting kids into the college of their choice (sometimes schools skew their rates because everyone can get into community college but that's not the info I want)

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our kids go to a Montessori that happens to also be a Christian school. We like that tuition is $5000 a kid with a smal sibling discount, They also give a "paid in full" discount. The Class sizes vary from 8-16 students in primary, with 2 teachers in each classroom. Owen was in a class of 6 for the first two years and it was wonderful. The Teachers are awesome and we are all great friends. The school is like a big family and even the parents are very supportive of each other. The playground is kind of lacking, but it is not worth twice the tuition to us (we have another Montessori that is just as close with amazing gross motor play areas) I could care less about the Christian literature to be quite honest. We are Methodist and we are fairly loose in our own teachings.

Our teachers have Montessori certifications and some also have traditional teaching degrees.

THe building is old and they only have 6 classrooms and no comertial kitchen so we all pack lunch everyday.

To be quite honest we just wanted an option other than our neighborhood public school and we thought it might be the best choice for us. Owen is reading at about a 3rd grade level, his math is pretty high, he has a better foothold than most public school kids on science and geography.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I agree with what Tanya said the most. I would be very interested also in a well rounded curriculum, not focusing soley on academia. I think the arts and so forth are just as important. I would also want to be make sure their beliefs were lined up with mine...for example if they focused a ton on the Christian aspect but didn't believe in healing or w/e, that would be a deal breaker to me. The teachers would also have had to sign a statement of faith (I am conflicted on if I feel the students should have to as well- I think they should adhere to a code of conduct, but not necessarily be Christian).
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
We looked at the ACCS (Association of Classical Christian Schools) website, and kind of went from there with phone calls and visits. We had a very specific list of thing we wanted (Christian and classical being the two big criteria), and that list probably would be different for each family, but when we found the school we wanted to send him to, it just sort of clicked at the interview for all of us, if that makes sense.
Our school is a part of ACCS actually. However, the principal doesn't feel like we are really a classical school. So, in looking for a classical school-what are you looking for?

I ask because this is a major thing for us. We are going to decide what route we need to take to either be a) more classical or b) take off the classical name

This is my first year at a classical school and I can tell you I really don't get it. I'm not even sure I like the classical model, and do not really consider myself a classical teacher-which the principal is fully aware of LOL. So if we become truly what I'd consider classical, I am not sure I'd be as happy teaching there. I don't know...