Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
galesville1980's Avatar
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,364
Update 12/26

Saw the specialist today (norm we dont see him as he is very hard to get into, we see the women who works with him..but he had a opening at the last min today so i switched our 2:00 with her and saw him at (10:45). Anyways...he said she is the hard ones he sees as she has no signs/symptoms of asthma until she gets a cold. He still will not put a label on her as we are still unsure what is really going on. He said he is sure it is not food allergies, so we r not testing for that (i agree it is not as she again only coughs like crazy with colds, otherwise she is great). We r staying on the acid reflux meds and adding singular for maintenance and the neb when she gets a cold. We r trying this and we go back in 2 months for a check up. Praying this is our answer!

Update 12/25

The neb is working great!! We have a follow up specialist app tomorrow at 2, to discuss what outlr next steps are. Thanks for ur help!


When you use it do u notice a difference!? We are still trying to find out what is going on with dd...we r seeing a specialist and have been on alvesco/flo vent. When she goes into her spasm coughing and we give her the albuterol it does not help in the least! She still coughs her brains out for hr on end. We have done 2-8 puffs and still NOTHING!?!?! Whats going on?!?! I just picked up a nebulizer but if the inhauler does not make a dent will the neb work any better!?

Advertisement

__________________
***OPEN ADOPTION BLESSED OUR FAMILY TWICE***

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!

Last edited by galesville1980; 12-26-2012 at 01:09 PM.
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
stevensmom's Avatar
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: a little place called Home
Posts: 49,692
My Mood:
Re: Albuterol question!

we use the albuterol in a nebulizer with a mask for our 6 and 2 year old. It seems to help for a bit then they need another treatment within 24 hours
__________________
Erica , wife to Ben, momma to Steven11.06 Emily9.10 Matthew 8.13
Forever in my heart, always on my mind (3.09, 5.09, 12.11)
"Life's too short to buy green bananas"
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,304
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by galesville1980
When you use it do u notice a difference!? We are still trying to find out what is going on with dd...we r seeing a specialist and have been on alvesco/flo vent. When she goes into her spasm coughing and we give her the albuterol it does not help in the least! She still coughs her brains out for hr on end. We have done 2-8 puffs and still NOTHING!?!?! Whats going on?!?!
Whoah! 8 puffs at once!? You should only be giving 2 puffs every 4 hours. Albuterol does not always stop coughing, unless its from bronchospasm.

There are extreme risks to giving such a young child so much albuterol at once. I would see the doctor.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
galesville1980's Avatar
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,364
Re: Albuterol question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
we use the albuterol in a nebulizer with a mask for our 6 and 2 year old. It seems to help for a bit then they need another treatment within 24 hours
Have u ever tried the inhauler? If so did it not work for u? Is a nebulizer really going to make a difference if the inhauler does not work at all?
__________________
***OPEN ADOPTION BLESSED OUR FAMILY TWICE***

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
sojomisa's Avatar
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 5,465
Re: Albuterol question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galesville1980 View Post
When you use it do u notice a difference!? We are still trying to find out what is going on with dd...we r seeing a specialist and have been on alvesco/flo vent. When she goes into her spasm coughing and we give her the albuterol it does not help in the least! She still coughs her brains out for hr on end. We have done 2-8 puffs and still NOTHING!?!?! Whats going on?!?!
Do you use the inhaler attached to a spacer? We've found her nebulizer to be quicker at stopping the coughing and heavy wheezing. The inhaler/spacer works best for use when used at the onset of wheezing or mild/moderate wheezing. But her cough is in conjunction with her wheezing.

Your dd may need something different for the cough like claritan which can relieve nasal drip that can cause coughing. Or Nasonex. Or a different maintenance med like pulmicort.
__________________
Kim, a doing what works for us mama to S (06/01), J (03/03), M (12/07) and S (01/11)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene

Last edited by sojomisa; 12-24-2012 at 12:45 PM.
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
stevensmom's Avatar
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: a little place called Home
Posts: 49,692
My Mood:
Re: Albuterol question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galesville1980 View Post
Have u ever tried the inhauler? If so did it not work for u? Is a nebulizer really going to make a difference if the inhauler does not work at all?
the kids were too young for an inhauler...DS got neb treatments starting at 5 months and dd got it at 18 months.

the dr said that at that young of an age (even now) that the neb treatments get the medicine into their system better than an inhauler
__________________
Erica , wife to Ben, momma to Steven11.06 Emily9.10 Matthew 8.13
Forever in my heart, always on my mind (3.09, 5.09, 12.11)
"Life's too short to buy green bananas"
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
galesville1980's Avatar
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,364
Re: Albuterol question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Whoah! 8 puffs at once!? You should only be giving 2 puffs every 4 hours. Albuterol does not always stop coughing, unless its from bronchospasm.

There are extreme risks to giving such a young child so much albuterol at once. I would see the doctor.
Per dr 1 puff every five minutes up to 6-8 puffs total...this would be equal to a neb treatment
__________________
***OPEN ADOPTION BLESSED OUR FAMILY TWICE***

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
galesville1980's Avatar
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,364
Re: Albuterol question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomisa View Post
Do you use the inhaler attached to a spacer? We've found her nebulizer to be quicker at stopping the coughing and heavy wheezing. The inhaler/spacer works best for use when used at the onset of wheezing or mild/moderate wheezing. But her cough is in conjunction with her wheezing.

Your dd may need something different for the cough like claritan. Or a different maintenance med like pulmicort.
Yes we use a spacer..
She does not have allergies though so would claritan work!?
__________________
***OPEN ADOPTION BLESSED OUR FAMILY TWICE***

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,304
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by galesville1980

Per dr 1 puff every five minutes up to 6-8 puffs total...this would be equal to a neb treatment
I have never heard of that. I have had asthma for my whole life, my son has severe asthma and 6-8 puffs isn't recommended from a puffer from any doctor or dosage website I have ever seen.

There are serious risks to albuterol in puffer form, like heart racing and even severe coughing when given too much.

Personally I would go to the doc ASAP or the ER with her meds and explain your situation.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
galesville1980's Avatar
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody

I have never heard of that. I have had asthma for my whole life, my son has severe asthma and 6-8 puffs isn't recommended from a puffer from any doctor or dosage website I have ever seen.

There are serious risks to albuterol in puffer form, like heart racing and even severe coughing when given too much.

Personally I would go to the doc ASAP or the ER with her meds and explain your situation.
It is cause we did not have a neb on hand...so we called the spec over the weekend and he told us to do it this way. We went to er last night at midnight and er dr said we r doing everything right and that there was nothing more he could do.
__________________
***OPEN ADOPTION BLESSED OUR FAMILY TWICE***

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.