Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
Cathypie
Registered Users
seller

Can you lay LO down a little early, maybe 11. Wake them up 2 hours later, put them in the car and go to the gathering a bit late? That would my ideal situation.

ETA- you may still need an early bed time but sometimes that's nice.

Look out for autocorrect!

Advertisement

Last edited by Cathypie; 12-28-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Cathypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #22
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Re: Interrupting nap times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
WOW! I my son is up at 4:30 or 5 daily no matter what!

That's probably because he sleeps for 3 - 4 hours in the afternoon.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #23
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
We would interrupt the nap, go at noon, and stay til kiddo can't handle it anymore. Kids are more flexible than we give them credit for.
This exactly.

With my first, I was like the OP. After four kids, I have learned that kids (even my "inflexible" oldest ) can handle more than we think.

Just go into it knowing that he may be cranky the rest of the day, and even the next day. The later crankiness is worth seeing family, IMO.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #24
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathypie View Post
Can you lay LO down a little early, maybe 11. Wake them up 2 hours later, put them in the car and go to the gathering a bit late? That would my ideal situation.

ETA- you may still need an early bed time but sometimes that's nice.

Look out for autocorrect!
Great idea!
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #25
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If skipping the nap is going to cause a big problem in his behavior then I wouldn't bother. It would just be stress. If it wouldn't be a problem, then I'd go and skip the nap.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #26
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
We would interrupt the nap, go at noon, and stay til kiddo can't handle it anymore. Kids are more flexible than we give them credit for.
Agree!

Plus, it makes for a great excuse to leave early if your family starts to annoy you
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #27
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first was very inflexible about naps and bedtime, and we were given a hard time for it a lot, but it's what worked best for us. Now with soon to be 4 under 6, it's just not possible even within our own home to stop everything for nap time, so they've learned to be much more flexible.

With 1? We probably would have gone until he got too crabby and then left for a nap, now with our 3 they've gotten used to adjusting nap time so it's not as bad. Every child and situation is different, and you just have to do what works best for your family no matter what anyone else thinks!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #28
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter would sleep in her carseat...no matter where it was. So, I could just bring her carseat inside and she'd still sleep in it. She'd fall asleep in that thing til she was almost five years old.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd1 was very inflexible with nap time and at that age I would have put down as early as I could and then head over for dessert with everyone. We've done that for many a holiday where they think 1:00 is a great time to eat (and where every kid there is basically bawling because they are so hungry because they normally eat long before 1:00 and no one is letting them eat a snack because they'll ruin their dinner). With our kids we've always opted to just let them take their nap and maybe wake them up a smidge early and join everyone for dessert. It worked out nicely because the work of cooking and clean up was basically done and everyone could just sit down and spend some time with the kids. Vs when we tried to go early and leave when the crabbies hit big time, a lot of people barely saw our kids because they were busy getting dinner ready.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 AM   #30
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, it went well! We headed over around 10:30 (my aunt changed it back to 11). He fell asleep for about 20 minutes in the car, he was such a good boy and we were having so much fun that we stayed until about 3:30. He fell asleep in car on the way home and then when we got home, he cuddled with me on the couch for about an hour watching Little Einsteins and then went to bed at 7. Woke up at 5:30 today in a great mood! So, really, I guess I underestimated him.