Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why give Vitamin K at all?

If we circumcised I'd most definitely give Vit K, but we don't. If baby exhibits any outward appearance of trauma during birth, we give K. Levi had a nice size hematoma on his head, so we opted for K. We don't make a decision on K until after birth

ETA: I am referring only to the shot - I am currently researching oral K and may give that to bebe #3 regardless

Advertisement

Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!

Last edited by cinderella08; 12-29-2012 at 06:56 PM.
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurkeyp View Post
Here is a report on the importance of Vitamin K.

Warning: Infant death mentioned.

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data/...y-20121203.pdf
The baby was 33 days old. Typically by that age the baby should have had higher levels of Vitamin K, right? Before I get freaked out by this lone incident I'd like to know if there was an underlying medical reason for the low levels of Vitamin K. Since they baby's levels didn't come up on their own, would the shot have even helped at birth? Also, why the spontaneous bleeding? Newborns aren't prone to falls and head bumps. Was there an accident that should have received medical attention prior to the severe symptoms?
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The baby was 33 days old. Typically by that age the baby should have had higher levels of Vitamin K, right? Before I get freaked out by this lone incident I'd like to know if there was an underlying medical reason for the low levels of Vitamin K. Since they baby's levels didn't come up on their own, would the shot have even helped at birth? Also, why the spontaneous bleeding? Newborns aren't prone to falls and head bumps. Was there an accident that should have received medical attention prior to the severe symptoms?
Bleeds can happen at any time - in the first few days right up to six months or so. If crappy baby formula, comprised primarily of GMO corn syrup and sugar, contains added vitamin K, perhaps it is worth considering. Most breastfeeding mothers do not supplement their diets with sufficient vitamin K to protect their newborn, but we have available to us a simple, risk-free vitamin via safe, oral dose. The chances are slim, but the preventative measures are simple and completely risk-free. If you could offer me one simple risk to oral vitamin k, given after nursing, then I would love to hear it. But, there are none.

Look, I am as crunchy and natural as they come, but this is right up there with the "modern miracle" of hand washing. It just makes sense.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When DS2 was born, we initially declined the Vitamin K shot. However, he ended up staying the NICU for a week after he was born. The second or third night he was there, I popped in to visit right when he was getting a bath, and I noticed that he was bleeding a little on his foot. When I asked what that was, I found out that he hadn't healed up from the foot prick test he'd gotten that afternoon-- EIGHT hours ago. Since he was getting IVs (and eventually ended up having an umbilical IV insertion procedure) we decided that this was actually a good case for getting the K shot. We had them give DS2 the K shot that night, and he didn't have any more clotting problems from then on.

So I definitely think that if your baby is going to be in the NICU with IVs and such, it is probably a good idea to do it then. If baby is otherwise healthy and didn't have any birth trauma, I wouldn't get the shot.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
katiecornflakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
Look, I am as crunchy and natural as they come, but this is right up there with the "modern miracle" of hand washing. It just makes sense.
& Baby girl C (11/13)
katiecornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
Bleeds can happen at any time - in the first few days right up to six months or so. If crappy baby formula, comprised primarily of GMO corn syrup and sugar, contains added vitamin K, perhaps it is worth considering. Most breastfeeding mothers do not supplement their diets with sufficient vitamin K to protect their newborn, but we have available to us a simple, risk-free vitamin via safe, oral dose. The chances are slim, but the preventative measures are simple and completely risk-free. If you could offer me one simple risk to oral vitamin k, given after nursing, then I would love to hear it. But, there are none.

Where do you buy the oral, "good stuff"???
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Found this article interesting.

http://www.vaclib.org/basic/vitamin-k.htm

I'm still undecided. However, I don't think handwashing can be compared to giving Vit K. With Vit K you're introducing a substance INTO a child's body, when it sounds like the medical community isn't entirely sure why newborns are naturally "low" in Vitamin K and what the relationship is to hemorrhaging. (blood clotting involves more than just Vit K)
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #18
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With DS we told our MW to have it on hand and we would see how birth went. Birth was fine so we opted out. It will be the same for this some.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Found this article interesting.

http://www.vaclib.org/basic/vitamin-k.htm

I'm still undecided. However, I don't think handwashing can be compared to giving Vit K. With Vit K you're introducing a substance INTO a child's body, when it sounds like the medical community isn't entirely sure why newborns are naturally "low" in Vitamin K and what the relationship is to hemorrhaging. (blood clotting involves more than just Vit K)
That is a very through article, but unfortunately it only addresses synthetic vitamin k, not REAL, plant-extracted vitamin K. Yes, giving oral, REAL vitamin K is introducing a substance into a child's body - but hey, so is giving breastmilk, no? It's a natural substance, which can potentially protect a newborn from death, and there are ZERO risks to it (again, if given after baby has nursed).

My reference to hand washing was to point out that babies died before we discovered the importance of hand washing - doctors would go right from performing autopsies to delivering babies, and babies died. We discovered this wonderful, life-saving "miracle" of soap and water and there are ZERO risks to doing it, just like oral, real vitamin K.

Heck, I don't even wash/bathe/rub my babies for days after birth lest I interrupt their absorption of vernix. Vitamin K? Yeah, we do it... Orally, the green stuff, like chopped up kale. Oh and my DH "catches" them at birth, bare-handed... But he washes his hands first
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals
It is not simply a clotting issue to be considered if circing - babies are born with low levels because mom's k level drops off in the 3rd trimester and there is not enough passed through to baby, even with therapeutic dosages, to boost the baby's level to prevent brain hemorrhaging if the baby has a hemorrhagic disorder. Most babies do just fine, I think the danger is something like 1 in 2,000. But that said, if baby has an issue (despite being born full-term, without other risk factors such as prolonged or rapid birth, c-section, etc.) you probably will not know there is an issue until the brain bleed had already happened.

That said, vitamin K in its natural state and in an oral dose is not in any way harmful. In that fragile, "risky" period between when baby is born and when therapeutic dosage to mom results in high vitamin K levels in breastmilk, oral vitamin K (and the real stuff, not the synthetic crap) is a perfectly safe, convenient way to buy baby a little extra protection from brain bleeds.

Would I give it to my newborn at the moment of birth? No, because the first thing in their gut should be colostrum, but I do give it orally because it is simple, natural, and harmless, and could potentially prevent severe brain injury or death. I am not in any way a "nature is broken" kind of person, but this one just makes sense. That said, if I had the choice between the shot or nothing at all, I would do nothing at all. Thankfully though I am part of a community of educated, intelligent and resourceful people who respect babies and their peaceful passage into this world, and we have access to oral vitamin K1.
Agreed. My midwives offer oral vitamin K as an option of you want it. We gave it to my DD2 as she was born at home. I don't know why more hospitals don't do the oral.