Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
sashaz122
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toddler always sick :(

We've been going to daycare since September and every other week dd is sick. My work is giving me a very hard time and have basically said get alternate arrangements. We are alone here and I have no help available. When she's sick I try to work from home and we alternate with dh. But they don't want me taking any time off. I can't get a nanny on top of daycare! I don't know what to do

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Toddler always sick :(

what kind of sick is she getting?

just colds? or fevers and viruses?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Yup. That's toddlers. I have back up babysitters for those occasions when I just can't take any more time off work. It costs me a small fortune but there is no way around it. I will say however, I send her with a runny nose. To me, that is just a toddler, they all have them and it's gross but they aren't really sick most of the time. When she is genuinely unwell I keep her home.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
leyash
Registered Users
seller

See about getting her some immune support. Multi-vitamins work well with boosting immune systems.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
leyash
Registered Users
seller

I would only keep my kid home if they have a fever. And honestly, if she's having fever that often that work is getting on your case, I'd definitely talk to a doctor to make sure there's not an underlying cause.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

If it is colds or a cough I'd still send her.

Get a back up babysitter.

Switch to an in home sitter that has less kids(and thus less germs).

It will run it's course though. I'm guessing the toddler wasn't exposed to much before and now that they are they're catching everything. IT either happens in toddlerhood or in early childhood when they start kindergarten.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is exactly the situation we were in my oldest child and what eventually led to me becoming a SAHM. Both of our jobs were in jeopardy because he was sick so often that we both were taking off. Plus we were constantly sick too because of it. If he had a fever the DC would not take him. It was in in-home provider. Also it just broke my heart to drop off a sick child who just wanted to cuddle and sleep.

We have no family here and could not afford a nanny or back up sitter. It was pretty miserable so hugs to you I understand. Ultimately it was not sustainable and my boss had a talk with me about it so I quit when he was 16-17 months. It was the best decision on the long run and he was rarely sick after that until he started Kindergarten!

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Probiotics would be a good place to start, to boost her immune system.

Could you hire a nanny instead of daycare?

Have you changed anything in her diet that could be contributing to the overall sense of her being sicks?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

is switching to a nanny or aupair an option? I was a nanny for years before my kids were born & one family hired a nanny for this exact reason. if you have an extra room in your home a live-in nanny / aupair can be a very affordable option.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can totally relate. We started a new daycare around the same time and our oldest has been a nonstop trainwreck of sickness. She's only missed a few days due to fever, though. When I drop her off, every single kid is a hacking, snot-nosed mess (my kid included). It's just how it goes in the winter....