Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is my kid potty trained now?

Two weeks ago we went cold-turkey from diapers to underwear with DS. At first we set a timer and made him go potty every hour, then increased the time to every 90 minutes. He only had a few accidents that week. Last week he started telling me when he had to go, yay! No accidents since then. We just got back from an 800 mile, 5 day trip with no diapers and no accidents. He goes 10-12 hours overnight in underwear. The last time I asked if he wanted a diaper for bedtime he acted like I was trying to cut his leg off.

So, is he potty trained now? Should I expect setbacks? Is it safe to put his diapers in storage, or should I keep them out for awhile? Sorry for the silly questions, but he's my first so I don't know what I'm doing.

Advertisement

sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Is my kid potty trained now?

I would consider this potty trained. (newly potty trained)

I'd put most of the diapers in storage. But, keep a few out just in case he gets sick. He'll still have accidents if he hurts himself, or gets way too busy to stop.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd keep some prefolds around to clean up accidents with, and like pp said maybe some for a rough day. My 4 year old daughter has been potty trained for a long time but we still have didn't-make-it-in-time accidents every so often. And we still have to remind her to thoroughly wipe after #2 and to flush solid waste. So imo potty training extends well beyond getting rid of the diapers if you know what I mean.

Even so, congrats! It's a nice milestone.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would consider him potty trained and put the diapers away. But expect setbacks and accidents for the next couple years. Every once in awhile my 5 yr old will just have a rough day and still have accidents. They are getting rarer and rarer but they still happen. My 8 yr old was close to 6 before all accidents finally stopped - they were rare but sometimes she'd have a rough day.

In my experience though once they are telling you they need to go the accidents truly are accidents and not frequent enough to need diapers again. They get wrapped up in what they are doing and don't go running for the bathroom until its just too late. They hate it and do their best to not let it happen again.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yup, newly and successfully potty trained. Congratulations! Your son made it sound easy. He must have great control.

It's been about 2 months since DD fully potty trained and I just put all of DD's diapers away. Expect a setback or two with an illness, change in routines, or something really exciting like Christmas happens. DD wet the bed during her nap on Christmas day. She's rarely even wet her diapers during a nap, so it was a rare occurrence.

I'm not sure if keeping diapers out for use is worthwhile. DD's setbacks have been individual events and not a series of accidents. It wouldn't have made sense to slap diapers back on her. If anything, she's learned from her accidents that she needs to go pee before naps and bedtime like mommy asks and not resist.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks! Definitely not expecting perfection from him, but I wasn't sure if he'd suddenly start to resist "unnerwear" and demand diapers again, or what, when the novelty wears off. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about the whole thing, though.

Thanks, danner, it IS a nice milestone!

ETA - I have a 14 month old who is still in diapers, so there are plenty around if needed. But we had a "goodbye, diapers!" party where we packed up all of the ones that my son specifically identified as his.

Last edited by sisu; 01-02-2013 at 11:56 AM.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
But we had a "goodbye, diapers!" party where we packed up all of the ones that my son specifically identified as his.
So cute! Congrats!

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote