Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
OrchidMama's Avatar
OrchidMama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 216
Re: Dr might want to add formula at next appt.

hmmm...I'll ask about reflux medication at next appointment, although it has gotten much, much better. I hadn't thought about my diet either. I do always feel hungry, even though I eat often, even in the middle of the night. I have also considered an elimination diet. I already don't drink milk, since that definitely irritates her(blood in her poop). Kaleidoscope eyes, I have been tempted to find another doctor. We picked him because he has great reviews, but I think he already doesn't like me because I didn't want the Hep B vaccine.

Advertisement

OrchidMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: Dr might want to add formula at next appt.

She is too young for rice cereal IMO. Rice is not well digested by babies her age (not well until after ago one, actually) so adding the cereal is unlikely to help.
I agree with everyone else that as long as you feel she is doing well, and she's still gaining and hitting "milestones" in a reasonable manner, that there isn't a reason to be concerned. Some babies gain slowly and others super fast...but formula is usually not the answer as long as you are producing enough milk.
You might want to think about cutting out some of the main offenders like pasteurized milk and soy, and GMO corn. Those can definitely be problematic, so it's a good place to start. These can be hard for YOUR body to digest, which means that proteins may be getting into the milk in forms that are then hard for your baby to digest.
I agree with eating lots of healthy fats, also. grass-fed dairy (raw or not-homogenized, low-temp pasteurized), coconut oil and milk, butter, etc...are very good choices if you're not consuming them already. Vegetable oils are not nearly as healthy as they have way too many Omega-6 fats relative to Omega-3.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
CASMama711's Avatar
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,195
Re: Dr might want to add formula at next appt.

Reflux definitely affects weight gain and switching to formula probably won't help that. I would recommend trying reflux meds while you continue to nurse.
__________________
Christian WOHMama to DD1 7/07 and twins DD2 and DS 11/11
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 512
Re: Dr might want to add formula at next appt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
She is too young for rice cereal IMO. Rice is not well digested by babies her age (not well until after ago one, actually) so adding the cereal is unlikely to help.
I agree with everyone else that as long as you feel she is doing well, and she's still gaining and hitting "milestones" in a reasonable manner, that there isn't a reason to be concerned. Some babies gain slowly and others super fast...but formula is usually not the answer as long as you are producing enough milk.
You might want to think about cutting out some of the main offenders like pasteurized milk and soy, and GMO corn. Those can definitely be problematic, so it's a good place to start. These can be hard for YOUR body to digest, which means that proteins may be getting into the milk in forms that are then hard for your baby to digest.
I agree with eating lots of healthy fats, also. grass-fed dairy (raw or not-homogenized, low-temp pasteurized), coconut oil and milk, butter, etc...are very good choices if you're not consuming them already. Vegetable oils are not nearly as healthy as they have way too many Omega-6 fats relative to Omega-3.
This.

Also, I've heard lots of mamas say that chiropractic care has helped their child's reflux. If my baby had reflux, I would try that before meds. Most reflux meds interfere with calcium and magnesium absorption, so that would be one of the last things I would do, personally.

As far as eating goes, eat as much as you need to and only restrict the things that cause your daughter problems. Consuming calorie and nutrient dense foods will help your body to recover from the stress of pregnancy and handle the ongoing demands of breastfeeding. It also ensures that your milk is calorie and nutrient dense. I get irritated when I see things that say 1200-1800 calories is sufficient for a lactating woman. If a toddler needs 1200-1300 calories, surely a full grown woman who is also supplying food to another human needs more than that.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
mamacita's Avatar
mamacita
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,403
My Mood:
Re: Dr might want to add formula at next appt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
This.

Also, I've heard lots of mamas say that chiropractic care has helped their child's reflux. If my baby had reflux, I would try that before meds. Most reflux meds interfere with calcium and magnesium absorption, so that would be one of the last things I would do, personally.

As far as eating goes, eat as much as you need to and only restrict the things that cause your daughter problems. Consuming calorie and nutrient dense foods will help your body to recover from the stress of pregnancy and handle the ongoing demands of breastfeeding. It also ensures that your milk is calorie and nutrient dense. I get irritated when I see things that say 1200-1800 calories is sufficient for a lactating woman. If a toddler needs 1200-1300 calories, surely a full grown woman who is also supplying food to another human needs more than that.
Yes and yes. I seriously doubt that switching to formula would benefit your baby, and I think that any physician who steers you that way is not worth your time or money. There are so many benefits to breastmilk that will be lost if you switch to formula.

A chiropractor can be really, really helpful for reflux.

Hugs to you, mama.
__________________
Sarah - mama to sweet boys , my girl , and a newb !
mamacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
CASMama711's Avatar
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,195
Re: Dr might want to add formula at next appt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
This.

Also, I've heard lots of mamas say that chiropractic care has helped their child's reflux. If my baby had reflux, I would try that before meds. Most reflux meds interfere with calcium and magnesium absorption, so that would be one of the last things I would do, personally.
Zantac is one of the most commonly used reflux meds for infants and it does NOT interfere with magnesium absorption or calcium absorption from breast milk (it interferes with absorption from calcium carbonate supplements only, which are absorbed differently than the calcium in milk). Its one of the safest meds available and my DS was able to take it safely, even with 2 other heart medications that had thousands of potential interactions with other meds. Personally, I would rather my baby be on a relatively safe medication than to allow them to continue to be in pain every time they eat. Reflux is painful. Chiropractic care might be worth trying, but if it doesn't work or isn't a viable option for some reason, reflux meds are a very safe option to consider.
__________________
Christian WOHMama to DD1 7/07 and twins DD2 and DS 11/11
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #17
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 512
Re: Dr might want to add formula at next appt.

Good to know about Zantac. I know many Peds do prescribe Prilosec and meds of that class which do affect mineral absorption. My point wasn't to discourage meds, merely to point out that there may be other options worth looking into first. Chiropractic care and diet change would be my go to things to start, and if that didn't help or didn't help enough, pursue medication options. Many docs prescribe meds without disclosing the side effects and we take them thinking they're safe and only later find out otherwise. I think sharing information is important so we can all make informed decisions. I'm glad that your baby was put on a safer med that is helping her. Reflux is no fun.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
OrchidMama's Avatar
OrchidMama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 216
Re: Dr might want to add formula at next appt.

Oooh, yes, good to know about Zantac. So, chiropractic care for my little one? I didn't know chiropractors took patients that young. I already don't drink cow's milk, but today I found a little blood in my baby's diaper, so I am going to eliminate all dairy at least, probably other things as well, like wheat and soy. I cook most of what we eat. I cook everything in olive or coconut oil and drink hemp and almond milk. She's definitely hitting all of her milestones, and I really don't want to give her formula. I guess I can be such a pushover sometimes. Thanks for all the responses everyone, it gives me the confidence I need to tell the pedi no. He's not a bad pediatrician, just probably not the pedi for us.
OrchidMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
qsefthuko's Avatar
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16,730
Re: Dr might want to add formula at next appt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchidMama View Post
Oooh, yes, good to know about Zantac. So, chiropractic care for my little one? I didn't know chiropractors took patients that young. I already don't drink cow's milk, but today I found a little blood in my baby's diaper, so I am going to eliminate all dairy at least, probably other things as well, like wheat and soy. I cook most of what we eat. I cook everything in olive or coconut oil and drink hemp and almond milk. She's definitely hitting all of her milestones, and I really don't want to give her formula. I guess I can be such a pushover sometimes. Thanks for all the responses everyone, it gives me the confidence I need to tell the pedi no. He's not a bad pediatrician, just probably not the pedi for us.

My first son was dramatically helped by chiropractic care at only a week of age or perhaps even 5-6 days old. He is now 9 years old so I no longer remember exactly how old he was. Just that we hadn't been out of the hospital for very long. It couldn't have been more than a few days as he wasn't staying awake long enough to eat. I was force feeding him with a syringe. Making him wake up to swallow. Before leaving the chiropractors office he was demanding to eat. He nursed for a full hour. A big change from his previous 45 seconds(not a typo). I timed him because I thought for sure he was nursing longer.

It took a total of three visits but in the end he turned out fine.

Also thought to mention when my younger son was having blood in his diapers from dairy his weight gain slowed down and even stopped. Once I completely eliminated dairy from our diet his weight gain returned to normal. He was constantly nursing but had stopped gaining for whatever reason. For us it wasn't considered an issue though as he was a chunky little guy. He could afford some stagnant weight gain.
__________________
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #20
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 512
Re: Dr might want to add formula at next appt.

Look for a chiro that works with babies and children. They often work with pregnant women as well. I started seeing my current chiro while pregnant and he has an additional pediatric qualification.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.