Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Treating fevers

My DS has been sick for about 3 days now and I'm having a hard time getting his fever down and would love some advice. It got up to about 104.5 but Tylenol has gotten it down to about 103, but not any lower.

I called the ped's office yesterday, and they suggested alternating tylenol with advil, but poor DS just keeps throwing up the advil (thank goodness for tylenol suppositories.) I'm offering lots of liquids, but he just won't drink anything, and I'm giving him lukewarm baths a couple times a day, but his fever just won't budge. The poor kid has also lost about 2.5 lbs (which he didn't have to lose in the first place.)

I suspect he has the flu - high fever, respiratory congestion, coughing all with a sudden onset. Unfortunately, DS vomits constantly whenever he has a cold, or respiratory illness; he swallows all the mucous and it makes him throw up.

I've been thinking about taking him in to the ER since I worry he's getting dehydrated, but I know they prefer to have flu patients stay home since there's not much they can do about it anyway. What can I do to make him feel better?

Advertisement

Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Treating fevers

I would take him in to be seen by the ped. The weight loss would worry me as well as the consistent high fever
Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

what's the rule? No liquids kept down for 6 hours? If he refuses to drink for that long, I would take him in so that they can make sure he's not dehydrated. but, if he's getting some liquids in, I would worry less. It does sound worrisome, though.

I don't know about advil? Does it count the same as ibuprofen? We were told you could alternate tylenol and ibuprofen, so if advil and ibuprofen are different, you could try that. but if they're the same, then I guess that's not helpful.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, advil is ibuprofen. If he can't keep the advil down maybe try motrin which is just a different brand if ibuprofen. It could be the inactive ingredients that are messing with his belly.

But if he's not keeping anything down at all and you are worried about dehydration, try at least taking him to the doc, if not the er. At the very least if hydration is a concern they can give iv fluids to keep him hydrated.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would be concerned about dehydration more than the actual temp. Do you know signs of dehydration? How often is he urinating? Can you see the little white moons on his nail beds? Limp or listless? If you pinch a piece of skin on the top of his hand does it go back right away or stick up a bit?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

An age old trick you may call it is vinegar socks. Here is a link in case you don't know what I mean. Hope it works!!
http://www.mom2momkc.com/forum/viewt...p?f=100&t=5923

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
I would be concerned about dehydration more than the actual temp. Do you know signs of dehydration? How often is he urinating? Can you see the little white moons on his nail beds? Limp or listless? If you pinch a piece of skin on the top of his hand does it go back right away or stick up a bit?
I am pretty concerned - he's still refusing to drink much, though he did have about 2oz of water about an hour ago. He's had 3 wet diapers today, though they weren't very wet. His skin is still bouncy, but his tears seem to be drying up. I'm going to let him sleep for the next few hours, but I'm taking him in to the ER in the morning. The ped doesn't have office hours until Tuesday so that's out.

He also seems to be a little confused, but it's hard to tell with a 2 year old. I'm worried.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had to give my 3yo a bottle just to get her to drink...and she hasn't had one in 2 years. She was more than happy to comply. Hope that helps :/ otherwise just go in. Is your childs mouth wet...lips moist...circles under the eyes...how fast does the skin on top of the hand recoil if you pull it up and let go (under 3 sec is good)...etc. You probably know all this but can u bribe with something? We are fighting influenza A here ;( I know its tough.

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsgreen View Post
An age old trick you may call it is vinegar socks. Here is a link in case you don't know what I mean. Hope it works!!
http://www.mom2momkc.com/forum/viewt...p?f=100&t=5923
Also google egg whites to reduce fever

We are dealing with a high fever here tonight too and I was just googling home fever reducers

Hope your little one gets to feeling better!
www.hyenacart.com/littlebitbusy
mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
mkrisel
Registered Users

Our pediatrician told us to be concerned if we went 8 hours without a wet diaper. They also suggested using a syringe to give Pedilite (sp?) every 20 mins or so. Said this keeps most babies out of the hospital for dehydration if you can get them to take any fluids. It worked for us. Jugs and hope it passes soon!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote