Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Car/motion sickness?

Both of my girls get sick in the car. I did, before I started driving, and so does my Mom, and her Mom.... If you have kids/youself who get carsick, do you have any tips that help?

We've tried the armbands (seabands, I think) but they haven't helped. Mom and I have used some over the counter stuff (starts with a D...can't remember the name right now) which works, but my girls aren't old enough and I'm not a huge medicine fan anyway. We also try to crack/open the windows and sometimes stop for a bit, but it's not always enough. What do you do?

Advertisement

jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Re: Car/motion sickness?

We keep lots of plastic bags, towels and changes of clothes in the car and bought a couple extra carseat covers. When DS starts sounding like he's going to barf, we pull over and get him out of the car, but he usually needs to stay out of the car for at least an hour for the nausea to subside.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this too.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For dd1 it helps that she have a clear view of the front window. So she can't sit behind dd2's carseat because it is too tall and obstructs part of her view. We had to fiddle around with the best seat arrangement for her.

We never let the car get very warm. If it is summer we crank the AC and make sure a vent is directly on her. If she gets hot, she will puke. We try not to let her have too full of a tummy in the car but also don't let her get overly hungry either - both extremes seem to make her worse.

Windy days are her down fall so we are really careful with how much driving we do if it is windy (assuming we don't HAVE to be somewhere).

I've never tried dramamine with her since she's only 8. Eventually I'll probably try it but so far we just try to avoid her triggers.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dramamine. If they are 2 or older they can take half of a chewable tablet. I'm not huge on giving meds, but I wont make my babies throw up for my preferences DD just started getting carsick at Thanksgiving. We gave her half a tablet about 30 before we left and she was great the entire way home.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

you could try giving them ginger snaps in the car... or any of the pregnancy nausea things.

I get carsick, but it helps me if I close my eyes. Except in the times when it makes it worse.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fresh air, water, ginger ale. We use childrens gravol which is a chewable for two and older (I believe it is like dramamine in the US) if we are going on a winding trip.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is what we use.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motion-Eaz....5-ml/12346124
It works great, is cheap, available locally, and natural so I don't feel guilty giving it to dd.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
This is what we use.
It works great, is cheap, available locally, and natural so I don't feel guilty giving it to dd.

I will have to see if my walmart carries this!

I thought they had to be 4 for 1/2 a tablet of Dramamine? That's the name I was trying to remember. I have used it with sucess, and I gave 1/2 a tablet to my 5 year old once, but she said it made her mouth burn. I wasn't sure what was going on with that and I hated to have her take any more after that.

I should put the baby bjorn little potty back in the van. We used to keep it in there for potty emergencies, but now all the kids are old enough that they don't need it. I forgot when I took it out that it doubled as the puke catcher, and we got caught without it over Christmas.

We've also tried peppermints with no success (because I don't have anything with ginger, and thought I'd give it a shot, lol.). We stay away from reading or focusing on anything in the car, keep a change of clothes, and try to get them to look out the front, but my 3 year old will not cooperate with that at all. She loves to look out the side window (she's a sensory seeker) which I know makes it worse.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
This is what we use.

Yes! We used it on 7yo dd and 2yo ds who both have bad car sickness. Worked amazing!

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Benedryl works the same as Dramamine.

And Dramamine has kids version as well for 2 and up.

But benedryl works great, here is a dose chart by weight.

http://www.acutekidscare.com/images/...rylDosingSheet
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote