Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
TwistedBranches
Registered Users
Formerly: MommaCrunch82
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
Benedryl works the same as Dramamine.

And Dramamine has kids version as well for 2 and up.

But benedryl works great, here is a dose chart by weight.

http://www.acutekidscare.com/images/...rylDosingSheet
This. On a cellular level, they both act on the same receptor site.

Cool air, fresh air, clear view of the windows-- all wonderful suggestions as well.

Advertisement

Follow me on Pinterest! || Twisted Branches Woodburnings || TwistedBranches WAHM Thread
TwistedBranches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car/motion sickness?

We keep my dd in the middle row, she gets really pukey if she's in the back. And we limit reading and video games in the car. Keep vomit bags in it. And I'll be honest, we give her a little Zofran if she is really struggling. She seems to be outgrowing it a little now. We can do 3-5 hour car trips without vomiting now sometimes.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
srw.mutter
Registered Users
seller
seller

I get motion sick all the time... Fresh air always helps a little. But we live in the city, so it is always stop and go traffic. I'd try ginger chews or some kind of hard candy
srw.mutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
For dd1 it helps that she have a clear view of the front window. So she can't sit behind dd2's carseat because it is too tall and obstructs part of her view. We had to fiddle around with the best seat arrangement for her.

We never let the car get very warm. If it is summer we crank the AC and make sure a vent is directly on her. If she gets hot, she will puke. We try not to let her have too full of a tummy in the car but also don't let her get overly hungry either - both extremes seem to make her worse.

Windy days are her down fall so we are really careful with how much driving we do if it is windy (assuming we don't HAVE to be somewhere).

I've never tried dramamine with her since she's only 8. Eventually I'll probably try it but so far we just try to avoid her triggers.

THIS. Exactly. I have had horrible motion sickness since I was a little kid - my mom has the same problem. Ditto to whomever said no reading or looking down - that makes it SO much worse and impossible to recover from unless I get out of the car.

Unfortunately it's gotta be tough when they're young, but for as long as I can remember I sat in the front seat - especially when driving with friends/friend's parents. I always sat with the other mom and my friends sat in the back It was the only way I wouldn't puke. Or I took the middle seat and wore a tank top in December. Heat makes it 100x worse. I still keep my car cool all year long.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

NO toys in the car (or anything else they can look down at). Repeatedly tell them to look out the FRONT window (pretending they're the one driving is awesome...it's the only thing that helps me on the rare occasion I have to ride in the back seat of a car).
Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to have to sit in the front seat (I know this isn't a possibility anymore) and not read, play with toys, or do anything really. My mom would give me gravol for long car rides.
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not sure the age of your kids, but my DD had several motion sickness that started when she was 15months. We literally tried everything you can find anywhere - not eating/drinking, eating/drinking, ginger juice (not sure it's 'juice'), windows down a little, windows down a lot, shades on side windows, switched her side of the car so the tire wouldn't partially block her view, freezing cold air blasting year round, getting her to sing, toys, no toys, Motion Eaze and the last thing we tried was the chiropractor. And it worked!

Nearly everything had little to no difference. She was getting sick every single ride in the car, but the Motion Eaze and cold air dropped that to 95% of the time. The first day we went to the chiropractor she got sick on the way and not again for 2 weeks. After that she didn't get sick again for 1 month, then 2 months, then she got sick a few times in a row and even 5 times on one car trip. The last time she got sick was July 4th.

She's now 2.5 and we're still battling this. Every time I hear something that makes me think she's about to get sick I reach back and hold her hand and this also seems to help slightly by distracting her. We still have 'emergency outfits', trash bags and paper towels in the car and never leave the house without a diaper bag full of outfits.

If you're willing I'd try it. I know that my DH got sick nearly every time he was in the car until he was 10 so we're fighting an uphill battle here.
Brooke789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
ErikaS57
Registered Users
seller

DD1 gets carsick. Well, she hasn't actually thrown up in the car in about 2 years, but she comes close (crying and holding a barf bag).
What helps is cool air (directing the back AC vents towards her on high), not looking out the side windows (the DVD player DH has in his car helps a TON with this), talking to her (keeps her from looking out the windows), and not travelling when hungry or immediately after eating (that's kind of hard).

It has gotten a lot better as she has gotten older. She can recognize the signs, grab a bag, and try to focus on something else when she starts to get nauseous.
ErikaS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
ErikaS57
Registered Users
seller

Oh, sleeping is great too - if she's feeling sick and manages to fall asleep, she's fine again when she wakes up.
ErikaS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you sure you're placing the SeaBands correctly? The worst thing about them is that because they're based on acupressure they have to be placed just-so or else they won't provide any relief.

Spunkify is online now   Reply With Quote