Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
princessgirl409
Registered Users
seller

Anyone has experience with children having the mumps?

My six yr. old woke up Christmas Eve with very very swollen glands on the left side of his neck. Because we were at my parents, I just took him to their local "fast food doctor's office" i stead of our pediatrician.
The first person we saw was a physician's assistant. He looked at him and said he thought it was an ear infection "because his ear was a little red." He said they would give him an antibiotic and the swelling should clear up with the ear infection.
Then the dr. comes in and said he wants to look at him. He did blood work to check and see if it was viral or bacterial. It came back viral. So they did more blood work to check for the mumps. We won't have those results for a few days.

Here are his symptoms...very slight cold like symptoms(runny nose and very occasional cough). The swollen glands on one side. The swelling will go down a little, but just out of the blue will swell back up and become very very painful. He will be in tears with it. Beyond that, nothing at all.
He was vaccinated for the mumps but did not receive the booster.
They put him on an antibiotic ear drop and a steroid and told me to give him motrin for pain.
I am just not sure about any of this...I don't really feel it's the mumps, but have no idea what it could be.

Advertisement

dd 4/09 dd 1/11
dd 12/13 (24 wks) expecting twins 1/15
princessgirl409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
musicmom2x
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone has experience with children having the mumps?

My oldest was fully vaccinated for mumps and up to date when he got it. I had only heard of it like a boogey disease that no one ever gets anymore, he had the VACCINE! for heavens sake. But yes he woke up screaming 20 minutes after bedtime one night with half his face swollen almost unrecognizable so we went to the ER where they drew blood and said it would be weeks for the results and he was fine and to go home. So still in a state of semi panic with no answers I took him home and put him back to bed. It wasn't another 20 minutes when he was up screaming again and the OTHER side of his face ballooned up. Back to the ER we went where they assured me it was most likely mumps but there was nothing for it, I should just take him back home. I was terrified. I had no idea what to do. I tried insisting that they admit him because I didn't know the first thing about mumps or caring for him and I was completely panicked. They looked at me like I was stupid for not knowing how to care for my sick child and sent me home. I took him to the pediatrician first thing in the morning and asked him how often he saw mumps. This office sees half the kids in our county which is rather large so when he said their office saw maybe one case a year I was flabbergasted. I mean how did he even pick this up??!? If the MMR is so controversial and ineffective (in my personal experience) I would just as soon my children don't receive it at all. So his brother's haven't.
JUst to relieve your fears though the swelling went away fairly quickly and I didn't notice any other symptoms so it was just a freak thing for us. Since your son had the vaccine I am sure it will be short lived as well! Oh and yes it sounds exactly like mumps and I would just give motrin for the pain of the swelling.

Last edited by musicmom2x; 12-26-2012 at 02:29 PM.
musicmom2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
princessgirl409
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! Did your son's blood work show for sure that it was the mumps? My son really seems fine except for when the swelling happens. Did your son's swelling go down any at all or just stay huge the entire time?
dd 4/09 dd 1/11
Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
musicmom2x
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The swelling was intense for about 12 hours then it went away naturally and yes he was positive for mumps I think the sudden swelling has to be really uncomfortable but there was no lasting damage or anything. steam should help too...
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
princessgirl409
Registered Users
seller

See, that's what I thought happened with mumps. But my son's neck will swell really big and be extremely painful and then it will go down some only to swell back up again later.
dd 4/09 dd 1/11
Old 12-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
musicmom2x
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

any update?