Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Homemade Floor Cleaning Solution

Follow up to my search for a better mop option. I would love some suggestions of homemade hard floor cleaning solutions. I have a mix of laminate wood and tile floors to clean. I have two little kids. Something that will clean and sanitize my floors, earth friendly and kid safe would be wonderful. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade Floor Cleaning Solution

half vinegar and half water. you can add tea tree oil or another bacteria fighting eo but its not needed, vinegar will disinfect.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh and it won't smell like vinegar after it dries.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd love to hear if anyone has some additional suggestions...when I've done just water/vinegar on our hardwood floors, I haven't been pleased with the results. I am used to a natural cleaner, but it left a shine that I miss. I tried applecider vinegar with some of my husbands lemon infused vinegar and that helped a bit...but...anyone else?
Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussionsmith View Post
I'd love to hear if anyone has some additional suggestions...when I've done just water/vinegar on our hardwood floors, I haven't been pleased with the results. I am used to a natural cleaner, but it left a shine that I miss. I tried applecider vinegar with some of my husbands lemon infused vinegar and that helped a bit...but...anyone else?
Yeah i miss the shine too, Its better if you take a towel before it dries and wipe it dry, but who has time for that. I use the vinegar on my kitchen and dining room floors (since they have to be mopped almost daily) and use Bona on my bedroom floor since it only needs to mopped about once a week. Honestly with my kitchen its going to have foot prints within a few minutes of mopping anyway so ehile I miss the shine I don't worry about it too much. Now my bedroom needs to be shiny.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Foxsma
Registered Users
seller

I use vinegar and essential oil, sometimes castile but I have bamboo floors. I've got a rubbermaid mop that refills like a swiffer, and a swiffer mop that I use disposable pads for if there's a really gross mess (you can just pop the top off a swiffer container and refill it).
Foxsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Ive been wondering this as well. I know a wood cleaner recipe that uses olive oil amd vinegar, but I wonder if that would be ok to use on wood floors? Would it be way to slippery? Too heavy of an oil?
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

Is Dr Bronner's safe to use on hardwood? I am looking for a hardwood floor cleaner, too. I use Dr Bronner's on my kitchen linoleum, but wasn't sure if I should try it on wood.