Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #231
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2,013 Items in 2013!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art mama View Post
How do you guys count things going to the storage building? It's some baby things that I want to keep and memory type stuff. But it won't be coming back in my house unless I decide to have another one.
I don't count that stuff because I still have it in my possession.

Advertisement

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #232
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelephant View Post
+3 fleece soakers on FFS ready to go out on Monday

188/2013

I must say, I am so encouraged to see so many DS members participating, this thread is getting long already!
It is hard to find my old thread with my #s

adding to the list:
+8 stuffed animals
+1 game
+2 purses
+3 wool soakers
+15 BG pockets and inserts
+3 articles of clothing
+1 more bag of trash

216/2013

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #233
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Needing some advice about keepsakes, what to keep and when to say goodbye. I have a box of my grandmothers dishes in the attic. I DO NOT want to move more than we really have to and we will have limited storage space. They aren't all that valuable but...they were my grandma's. I guess I just need permission to not feel guilty about giving them away to a home where they will be used and keeping pictures and other keepsake instead.

Still decluttering in preparation of packing/moving in three weeks. Another 39 items so far today.

460/1553
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #234
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!

Quote:
I don't think I will. I'm sure I have plenty to get rid of without that! Plus that will help offset new stuff that manages to wiggle in...as hard as I may try to stop it!
I absolutely agree. I know there will be things I will move to the attic that I'm not ready to part with, and that's okay! And yes, new stuff will enter our homes. I'm attempting to do a "1 for 1" this year so that for every item in, something else must go (excluding groceries, toiletries, Rx) - but if I buy a new book, I have to get rid of something in order to keep the new book, if that makes sense. And it's not as if we lose if we don't make it to 2013. As Dec 2013 approaches and if we've only parted with 1800 things, it's still a win-win as far as I am concerned! I'm already thrilled with how much extra room we have in our closet and we're only less than a week into the challenge!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #235
momma_pea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleypippen
Needing some advice about keepsakes, what to keep and when to say goodbye. I have a box of my grandmothers dishes in the attic. I DO NOT want to move more than we really have to and we will have limited storage space. They aren't all that valuable but...they were my grandma's. I guess I just need permission to not feel guilty about giving them away to a home where they will be used and keeping pictures and other keepsake instead.

Still decluttering in preparation of packing/moving in three weeks. Another 39 items so far today.

460/1553
I just have to remind myself that giving things away that belonged to someone I love doesn't make me love them less. I know if my grandma doesn't love something she wouldn't have a problem giving it away so, I do the same.

It's okay to give things away to someone who will use them!
momma_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #236
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleypippen View Post

460/1553
I have some things like this that I'm on the fence on. Could you designate an area to store things you're not convinced you want to part with and then revisit the issue in a month or two? I have a box of my grandmothers dishes as well - it's all I have left from her but I think I'm going to either part with them or if I decide to keep them then they must become our everyday dishes and I'll have to part with my mismatched Pfaltzgraff sets.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #237
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've always been a pack rat and I have a sentimental attachment to things because of who they belonged to or came from. I'm getting better about that. And with every item i get rid of I remind myself that I will enjoy my life and family more without all the junk cluttering it up.

Edited for autocorrect :/

Last edited by Art mama; 01-06-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #238
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

460/1553
Would it be possible to make them your everyday dishes and get rid of your current set? I'm guessing Grandma would prefer that they be used by someone who needed dishes, if that was you or someone else.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #239
mollym
Registered Users

My Mood:

New here, but I like this idea. My first son was born recently, and during the pregnancy my policy was to accept whatever hand-me-downs came my way, then sort them out later. Well, "later" is here and I need to figure out what we can use and what needs to go on to a new home.
mollym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #240
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
How do you guys count things going to the storage building? It's some baby things that I want to keep and memory type stuff. But it won't be coming back in my house unless I decide to have another one.
I don't count anything unless it leaves my house outside of a garbage can. But, everyone does what they're comfortable with.
Plus, I don't have this magical storage area you speak of.

Quote:

460/1553
I've found many people who'd rather have those items. Can you ask her other relatives if they'd like them? That way, they stay with someone who cares for them.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote