Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Question about appetite suppressants

I am wondering if anybody has had success using any kind of appetite suppressant. I am starting to track my intake with My Fitness Pal (am very familiar with it, have used it in years past with weight loss success). I know the foods to help me stay feeling fuller for longer (avocados, almonds, eggs, greek yogurt, beans, drinking a lot of water...), and am wanting to start exercising more ... here's the BUT:

I'm still exclusively breastfeeding my 7 month old baby (nursing him 6-7 times a day) and feel SO DANG HUNGRY all the time. I'm practically ravenous at every meal and I find it hard to stop munching and taking extra helpings and snacking between meals. My calorie goal is between 1800-2000/day.

It is driving me crazy. Drinking a bunch of water doesn't help much....other than help keep up my milk supply for baby. I am looking into appetite suppressants and have never used one, but I'm feeling a little desperate at this point to make these hunger pangs go away til my next meal. Do these work? I am not one to buy into diet fads or the next newest product to help lose weight. I know they don't really work. The principles of losing weight are eating less and exercising more, I've done it in the past and I will do it again. I only need to lose 20-30 lbs. That's attainable. I just hate feeling so hungry all the time.

help!

Advertisement

Last edited by mariamommy; 01-04-2013 at 11:07 AM.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Question about appetite suppressants

I am not sure if they are safe while BFing. From what I have read they are not. I would be more concerned with that. I would try snacking on frozen fruit and cold veggies with 0 cal dip between meals. They are very low calorie and can satisfy craving really well. I know when I was craving snacks, frozen fruit worked really well for me.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't do the suppresants while breastfeeding. It sounds like you are doing what you need to now, give it a week or too and see if your body adjusts to the smaller portion sizes. If it doesn't and you are losing weight just increase your calorie content a little more. It may just be that right now your body is used to a fuller stomach (it can stretch out) so it's sending a hungry signal even though you've had enough calories. It will get used to smaller sizes though. Also the more exercise you add it the more you get too eat. Nursing makes me really ravenous too, you may just have to be a little more patient with the weight loss until you are done.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
I am not sure if they are safe while BFing. From what I have read they are not. I would be more concerned with that. I would try snacking on frozen fruit and cold veggies with 0 cal dip between meals. They are very low calorie and can satisfy craving really well. I know when I was craving snacks, frozen fruit worked really well for me.
That is a great idea. However (and there is no way you would have known this!) I can't stand cold (or frozen) fruit. I whitened my teeth a few years ago using the bleach gel from the dentist and since then I have the most sensitive teeth to cold stuff, its painful to bite into a refrigerated apple. I eat everything room temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursenmom View Post
I wouldn't do the suppresants while breastfeeding. It sounds like you are doing what you need to now, give it a week or too and see if your body adjusts to the smaller portion sizes. If it doesn't and you are losing weight just increase your calorie content a little more. It may just be that right now your body is used to a fuller stomach (it can stretch out) so it's sending a hungry signal even though you've had enough calories. It will get used to smaller sizes though. Also the more exercise you add it the more you get too eat. Nursing makes me really ravenous too, you may just have to be a little more patient with the weight loss until you are done.
I agree, and you're probably right. The "new year" may be making me anxious to get going already, lol.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Appetite suppressants are nothing more than caffeine. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
Appetite suppressants are nothing more than caffeine. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.
Really???!! I did not know that

Last edited by mariamommy; 01-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
That's why I liked WW over my fitness pal. I can "pig out" on as many fruits and veggies as I want, they are all 0 points. Is the 1800-2000 calories including extra for nursing? You get a good amount of extra points when nursing on WW. When I'm really hungry, lowfat cottage cheese or a banana with 1 tbs of pbutter helps satisfy my hunger. And make sure you are drinking a TON if water.
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your best bet is to eat when you're hungry, but make good food choices. Snack on whole foods, ditch the crap. And move! Bundle up and take the baby for a walk. Walking is excellent exercise!
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
Your best bet is to eat when you're hungry, but make good food choices. Snack on whole foods, ditch the crap. And move! Bundle up and take the baby for a walk. Walking is excellent exercise!
Good ideas. Four kids and a walk for me though don't really add up to calories burned, lol.

I like fitness pal, those calories are for when nursing, I should probably bump it up to 2500 per day since my baby eats almost no solids and just nurses.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started replying to your thread the other day but stopped. I was going to say "no way" but actually, after reading "wellnessmama"'s web-site last night, I changed my mind. If it's coconut oil you're thinking about using, then that might actually be good. Anything else that is unnatural I wouldn't be sure about. I also recently got hemp seeds to try.

I have or have had the same issues. I remember all too well those feelings of being ravenous while nursing (and, I'm still tandem nursing, actually. My 3 year old nurses 3X per day and my 15 month old nurses much more than that.) I would snack all day. Once I figured out the "filling" foods such as the ones you mentioned, I had trouble limiting some of them for awhile. Right now I'm working on eliminating grains; I've already mostly eliminated processed foods and am also trying to eat homemade baked goods only from time to time (I love baking so that's kind of tough but I try to focus on other things I enjoy besides baking - walking is one of those things I'd like to add in too!) I've been eating a lot of squash lately too - butternut, spaghetti and acorn (they are high in water content and nutrients.)

I agree with making sure you drink a lot of water!! I don't think I drink nearly enough. A lot of times I think hunger pangs are actually thirst pangs. I try to keep a water bottle around. I also agree with snacking on veggies if you're truly hungry. And I don't measure calories but was thinking of starting... but I remember reading a nursing mom needs more than the recommended 2000 calories a day... about 300 more I think.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is the best combination but this morning I first had a lot of water. Then for breakfast had sweet potato, coconut oil & Romaine lettuce (shredded). It was good and I am not hungry at all - I have no desire for snacks yet...

You might also try juicing... we finally gave in and got a juicer and haven't gotten processed store juices since. It's a nice way to get some truly fresh nutrients and water into your system. I mostly juice organic carrots from time to time since they are the cheapest veggies to get.

Hope this helps a bit and isn't too confusing!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote