Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
asteiner18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check in. Dec 31-Jan 13

I am jumping in here!
I have a 3 ( 4 Jan 17th) year old and a 5 year old. We started school back on the 27th I think? I worry that they are behind but I think it will be good for me to chat on here sometimes and see what is *normal* I try not to get to caught up on what other kids can do but I also don't want to keep her home and then she fall behind :/

Advertisement

Angel wife to the love of my life Brandon and mother to Scarlette 5/07 Ruby 1/09 and with #3 due with another sweet daughter in September <3

Angel Murphy Photography
asteiner18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGlorylife View Post
What are you using for math? My oldest was really behind in math and we finally have caught up but it has taken 2 years and technically we are still 6 months behind- but she is in 8th grade and it'll be fine. We switched to teaching textbooks which has made it easy to keep track of and has made it easy for her to keep up and catch up. Just this year she was able to get all of 7th grade math done in 1 semester- I AM VERY PROUD!
Also I am not sure what your schedule is but if you could arrange her school schedule for when you are home even if its not normal "school hours" that may also help? I thought your idea of having her on the same rotation as the year round kids is a good idea but it does make it hard if she is not working- I'd suggest making her world very very small. again not knowing her age its hard but if she is old enough to be home alone I am guessing she is somewhere in the tween/teen age. No phone, tv, computer, nothing unless school work is done. She earns those things. Say if computer is important for her then for every math lesson she does she earns 10 minutes of computer time. So on and so forth. Its hard if you are not there to enforce everything but if she cant be responsible with school work then shes not resposnible and doesnt get the privileged of other things.
Hi there! We do use TT for math! She's doing Algebra I. (She's 15, btw.) That's so awesome that your daughter has been working so hard to get caught up. I wish motivation were contagious!

I have set up her school schedule to coincide with my work schedule as best as possible. I am home with her during "regular" school hours (keep in mind I have 3 others in public school so we do keep normal schools hours) on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. She volunteers as a pseudo assistant for a few kindergarten classes on Tuesdays at her siblings' elementary school (a few teachers pass her around; she works with small groups of kids that struggle to keep up.) Thursdays is home alone; this is usually a heavy reading day so that she doesn't get stuck on something she needs help with and stop working because no one is there.

Truth be told, we are a very, very busy family in the evenings. I have four kids all heavily involved in sports and activities. Football, baseball, gymnastics/tumbling, dance, soccer, girl scouts, etc. My homeschooled kid takes dance classes, tumbling, Crossfit and while I want to take them away as punishment, I'm not willing to do it because it's her only social outlet.

Recently, we have disabled the internet on her laptop. She has a cell phone but the new rule is that when we are home, it stays downstairs. She can use it when she takes a break, wants to sit with us for a few min, etc., but it stays with us when she goes back to her work.

Anyway, once she's caught up, which if she doesn't screw this up again should be this Saturday, then we can all go back to our regular schedule. However, at this point I am having a hard time trusting that she will do what she is supposed to.

ETA: I think it's just time for me to admit that she's likely not ready for Algebra I. This is even more heartbreaking because she's already repeating Algebra I, having taken it in public school last year.

Last edited by Psychomom; 12-31-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #13
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm jumping in as well, I've lurked for awhile off and on and love the idea of being able to share about how our weeks are going.

We fell behind somewhere around Thanksgiving I think......so we will be working hard to get caught up and stay on track. I need to make myself limit my time that I drool over all of the wonderful homeschool blogs out there, I get great ideas from them, but I also tend to doubt that we are doing enough after browsing them long enough

I have 3 (4 if you count the 2 yr old) kids that I"m homeschooling; DD (11)-6th grade , DS (9)-3rd grade, DS (5) PreK as well as a 2 year old that is joining in some of big brothers activities.

I also have 3 older boys, 1 is in college and 2 attend public school (12th and 8th grades).

This is a super busy time of year for us with all but the 2 year old active in multiple after school activities. About the time March rolls around I'm thinking we are ready for a vacation.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
LAF512
Registered Users
seller

We started back up yesterday after taking all of last week off. I was so thankful to start school back up. Our days just go so much smoother when we do school and stick to our normal routine.

I have my 7yo's schedule done pretty well, but I need to work on something more structured for my 5yo. Up until now, we had just been doing work sporadically. He's technically preschool so I wasn't worried about it, but now I want to have a weekly plan for him.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow! Welcome all of us newbies!

I had a crazy dream last night that I was forced to send my oldest 5 to school! It startled me. Lol.

Anybody purchase curriculum with your tax refund? I've been thinking and praying about that. If we bought everything I want our total would be way higher than I think we will get back. So I'm looking for and waiting for things used. Like I got TT for $100 for DD next year!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
croark
Registered Users
seller

Mysweetseven, I can't look at blogs. They make me feel crappy!!

We didn't school today. We are the MIL's having a late Christmas. I'm kinda bummed. I actually enjoyed school work yday!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
LAF512
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post
Mysweetseven, I can't look at blogs. They make me feel crappy!!

We didn't school today. We are the MIL's having a late Christmas. I'm kinda bummed. I actually enjoyed school work yday!
I feel the same way!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi there,

Sorry I said hello, and then disappeared. Hopefully I will stay more on top of it now that holidays are over.

We fell behind last month, although it only happened last month because we were ahead to begin with, and we've been falling short steadily since thanksgiving. We reorganized Monday, and started back today. Dd6 is catching up with her math, and we need to catch up with reading. Does anyone have experience with all about reading vs. phonics pathways?

Sometimes I'm thankful that she's the only one I need to worry about right now. Other times, like the last two weeks I wish they were all older and able to do more than cry and make messes . Everyone has been sick here since Christmas Eve and baby is teething on top of it...I have to keep reminding myself that I like homeschooling.

As for blogs, they only make me feel worse. I mean how do these ladies manage full from scratch meals, clean homes, fully educated and advanced kids, the extra crafts and activities, and extra curricular activities outside the home, while still having the time left for their hobbies? If I manage half that I'm beat.

Last edited by Britches~in~Stitches; 01-01-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
LAF512
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britches~in~Stitches View Post
Hi there,

Sorry I said hello, and then disappeared. Hopefully I will stay more on top of it now that holidays are over.

We fell behind last month, although it only happened last month because we were ahead to begin with, and we've been falling short steadily since thanksgiving. We reorganized Monday, and started back today. Dd6 is catching up with her math, and we need to catch up with reading. Does anyone have experience with all about reading vs. phonics pathways?

Sometimes I'm thankful that she's the only one I need to worry about right now. Other times, like the last two weeks I wish they were all older and able to do more than cry and make messes . Everyone has been sick here since Christmas Eve and baby is teething on top of it...I have to keep reminding myself that I like homeschooling.

As for blogs, they only make me feel worse. I mean how do these ladies manage full from scratch meals, clean homes, fully educated and advanced kids, the extra crafts and activities, and extra curricular activities outside the home, while still having the time left for their hobbies? If I manage half that I'm beat.
I am using AAR Level 1 with my 5yo ds. I also have Phonics Pathways right now that I am borrowing from the library and we are using it to supplement AAR. I honestly think we would have been fine doing just Phonics Pathways especially since it is SO much cheaper than AAR. DS does enjoy AAR a lot though.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britches~in~Stitches View Post
Hi there,

It helps to remember that what you read on a blog is most likely the best case scenario in all areas. I would say the vast majority of those homeschool blogs don't tell you about the crazy stuff, like the 2yo handing the baby some poop to taste (but yay he pooped in the potty), or the older child refusing to do anything and throwing her binder across the room scattering papers everywhere or burning that from scratch meal because you were helping your lo figure out a word problem. Yeah, something tells me that doesn't make for good blogging. Although, I must say that I'm tempted to start a blog about my day-to-day goings on just to make everyone else feel better about themselves!

We're starting a light load tomorrow and are back full force on Monday. I still have to finish planning science and history--looks like I would get off DS and do that!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote