Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Re: HS Check in. Dec 31-Jan 13

Happy New Year to everyone!
We are still taking our break this week and next week too. I'll be trying to get a schedule planned out for the new curriculum we'll be starting. Good luck to all of you starting back!

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am another non-blog reader here. For one thing they come off very rosy-colored and while I know it probably doesn't look that way in real life, it can wear you down. For another thing time is an issue. If I start looking at blogs, I can plan out tons of great ideas...unfortunatly that leaves little to no time to do them.

cedavid--what new curric are you starting?

We are gradually starting back with some regular school stuff. We did some reading and math this morning, and watched our first signing time movie. The kids liked it...I was a little bummed that they already knew all of those signs and several more to boot from what I had taught Kennah, so I'm wondering if I should have started with series 2. It's good review anyway, and since they enjoyed it I'm not complaining.

As for Keegan's reading stuff...I'm not sure that it's working the way it should be working. Right now I'm just trying to hang on and wait for the explosion that's supposed to be coming. I hope we get there soon.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad to hear that I"m not the only one that has felt overwhelmed by reading the blogs. I have gotten alot of great ideas from them, but like you said, after I print, gather, buy, organize.....there is very little time to implement them.

Jen_batten-what you using for reading? I have 9 yr old that is still struggling with reading well, I blame myself for juming around alot and not using a consistent program, I really need to come up with a better plan. He got a kindle for Christmas so that has sparked an interest in being able to read more fluently, I"m hoping we make some progress soon
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #24
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Me too. I don't read blogs at all for that reason, at least not hsing ones. Lol.

I like bob books and alpha phonics for reading practice. We use MFW k for teaching reading.. also there is a phonics rap on YouTube that works.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
croark
Registered Users
seller

Great HS day for us! The 6 yr old dd even asked to do a little even though I wasn't planning on starting her back til next week. My 10 yr dd seems to be enjoying most of her stuff. She's not loving the 5 Finger Paragraph book (I don't blame her) so I think we'll have to scratch that. The pictures you are supposed to look at and make a paragraph about are too corny. The system itself is working great, just not the pictures to inspire writing. So I'm going to have to come up with my own pics for creative writing (at least until we begin our Story Starters book).
The 3 yr old practiced cutting (her version of "do school too!") and enjoyed pouring and playing with dry rice and beans. The rice and beans is an idea I got from a blog a long time ago! So I guess blogs aren't all bad ;-)

cedavid, I actually enjoy the scheduling/lesson planning. As long as I can do it for a whole month to 3 month time period. Anything less than that gets to be too much. Do you like doing it or is it more of a chore?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
3boys_mom
Registered Users

I can't wait to jump back in with this thread. We are still 'off' until Monday. I will be spending tomorrow and Friday making sure I am ready. I need a new plan. I am not happy about how some things have been going. Certain things get left out and I don't like that.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #27
3boys_mom
Registered Users

I see some new names. Welcome!!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Good first day back. We didn't do history, but that was my fault for not checking to make sure we were ready to move to the next phase. Our curriculum goes through four phases -- the initial reading, then digger deeper, then hands-on activities, and then some more creative things (typically acting or some sort of creative writing). We will start that back up tomorrow.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #29
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well we moved christmas evening. The girls are having some trouble adjusting to it. They miss being to see there nana and pop every day. We only took a couple days off for christmas break I was hoping keeping there school schudel would help them settle in to a routeen and feel better about the move. I am now trying to find free things to do and learn in the stl area we are going to take a tour of chocolate chocolate chocolate and see how they make candy not sure what subject I should put that under. I think I have decided on math u see for first grade and explode the code for reading does it also cover language arts? I still need a history program and something for science any suggestions? I would love to hear them. Still not sure if we should go with time for learning or not. Other than that we are doing great and I am looking foward to the new school year. We will be making frequent trips to my parents this year to help them out and build my 53.

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #30
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mysweetseven--Last year we did Hooked on phonics. After that we did My Father's World K. And started MFW 1st. He is only 6.5, so the fact that he is not reading fluently isn't really a big red flag yet. He is showing lots of signs of dyslexia so he just went to the pediactric optometrist, he is having us ONLY do word families and color coded spelling for right now. It's a drag. We've got about 3 1/2 weeks of that left, then we go back to the optometrist to see what they say.

So far, we have done diddily today. I am trying to get the kids new leap pad set up and it is being a pain. Hopefully we'll do something later though.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote