Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #51
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
We did a fairly regular day today. I cannot wait until we are done with this new reading stuff. I think Keegan is getting worse.

The kids have been enjoying signing time. They told DH we were learning it so we wouldn't have to talk to each other anymore, lol.

We need to be doing more in math. Right now it seems like my kids already know the stuff we are supposed to be working on (most recently measuring and graphs), so instead of finding something that they do need to learn we've just not been doing math. I'm having a hard time motivating myself to look into anything though...after all, if they already know the material then they aren't behind. But we aren't progressing either.

Is anyone else already starting to look forward to buying curriculum for next year? I probably shouldn't be, but I am!
I have been. I bought TT pre alg. For DD and MFW Exp - 1850 used. I'm scouring the net for a few other things used and then it will the consumables to purchase. U start planning my following year in May when I have all my things purchased for the next year.. that was confusing... Like I planned last May for 2013/2014.. so I have a list I tweak all year and then by December I'm sure what I will use and start buying used.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

Advertisement

thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #52
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
First grade history... I use MFW first grade and it focuses in on Biblical history. I've also used ambleside online year 1 and sonlight core 1 (intro into world history).. so it depends on what you want your future.years to look like. Magic treehouse are.great books! I think that's a great start.

Grammar and spelling.... I start spelling power and Primary Language Lessons by Emma Seryls in grade 2. Or when they are reading and writing well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #53
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Re: HS Check in. Dec 31-Jan 13

So today wasn't too bad. We hit our usual trouble spots but got over the humps and kept moving. Math went exactly as I expected and I was quickly reminded of how we started slacking. But we kept on trudging. I am hoping it will get better when they get in to things they "don't" know. A lot of what we are working on is obvious review. But the way the program is written, we can't just 'skip ahead' a little bit. We will make it through.

As for spelling and grammar...with my oldest we started First Language Lessons (grammar) in first grade. I don't think we really even finished both years (it's for g 1 and 2). Then we started Growing with Grammar in third grade, and have just been progressing through that series. We started spelling in 2nd grade using spellingcity.com

For DS2 we have picked up FLL here and there...but I am satisfied with GWG so I believe we will just pick that up in the fall (3rd g) for him. This year both boys are using Spectrum Spelling (found at Barnes and Noble) and I like how it is working for them.

Planning for next year...little by little I am starting. Money is an issue right now so I am not sure when I will purchasing anything. But I can research and plan.....
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #54
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Oh and I was also able to work with DS3. And it went great! We tried in the fall but he fought me. So instead of dealing with that I just waited. Well when we picked it up again today...he didn't want to stop. I hope that continues! I had planned to work with him this year and next as a K4 and K5 program. So if he 'starts' now I can still do as I had planned with him. He just turned 5, so if he was in the school district he wouldn't start Kinder until this coming fall anyway. He is slightly delayed due to his speech, so I am hoping the extra time in K (plus him seeing a ST~whenever that gets going) will have him ready for 1st in 2014.

It was an interesting day, given normally we've tried to get most of our lessons done while the girls are napping. DD1 has given up napping/staying in her bed at all. So she actually sat in with DS3 and had fun too!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #55
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are back in full swing as of today. Over the past 2-3 weeks, I've been planning each subject so that I could figure out what had to be done by when to be finished in mid-May.

Today went really well all things considered (we've essentially been off since Thanksgiving). The girls did grammar, math, spelling, science, and geography all in 3.5 hours, plus they both did some stretching and strengthening exercises. DS goes to prek from 9-noon, but he wants to work in the afternoon as well, so he did the first lesson of Saxon 1, a chapter in religion and a handwriting page. He still has a reading lesson to do, but he says he wants to do that in the library tonight, so whatever.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #56
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we had a bumpy morning I think the girls were tired of being in the house its been cold hear so we have been stuck in side a lot. I am trying to look at curriculum for next year there is just so much to chose from its a little over whelming. every time I think i have decided on something I run in to something else that I think well that sounds good. I have no idea how I am ever going to decide on it. I am hoping the girls are in a better mood tomorrow it should be warmer so we will venture out for a walk and to the swings for a while and that will help a bit.

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #57
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

First day back after break went way better than expected. I figured I would be dragging too, but iI woke up and made blueberry pancakes. The kids worked hard and were done by noon! Minimal whining and everything went smooth. I hope we have found our groove for the year.

I'm planning out some 100 day activities for Friday, the kids are excited and I hope we have a fun day. So glade to be over the half way hump!!
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #58
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

it was the first day back for us too after a 3 week break.. I was prepared for lots of complaints and tears but it went really well. Hopefully it will countinue..

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #59
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had our first full day back yesterday. It went better than expected, and I pushed to get it all done, it took until 5 o'clock to get all of the kids done but we did it.

Thank you ladies that made suggestions on the reading for my 9 year old that is still struggling. He did so much better yesterday I was really impressed. I am really wondering having the Kindle has giving him the extra motivation he needed.

We have our meeting with our homeschool advisor this afternoon, we have gone with someone new this year, she is really supportive and nice but I still get stressed about the meetings.

Hope everyone has a great day of school
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #60
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_marines_wife03 View Post
we had a bumpy morning I think the girls were tired of being in the house its been cold hear so we have been stuck in side a lot. I am trying to look at curriculum for next year there is just so much to chose from its a little over whelming. every time I think i have decided on something I run in to something else that I think well that sounds good. I have no idea how I am ever going to decide on it. I am hoping the girls are in a better mood tomorrow it should be warmer so we will venture out for a walk and to the swings for a while and that will help a bit.
I'm right there with you, I change my mind daily.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote