Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
mommy2babybean
Registered Users
seller

Snaps vs. Velcro

I am new to cloth diapering and getting ready for our arrival in May. My husband wants something fast and easy (no patience for "fiddling" with things). I have read that snaps last longer but velcro is faster. Any suggestions on which would be better? Thanks!

Advertisement

mommy2babybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Tristan's Mom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Snaps vs. Velcro

My husband was new to the cloth diapering...any diapering for that matter :-) He really liked the snaps better than the velcro. The velcro came undone, got stuck on other things, etc. The snaps do last longer. I'd recommend them.
Tristan's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
MuntryMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband prefers the velcro. He doesn't like to fuss with CDs at all for the most part, so I have a few pocket diapers for him to use but when those are used up (and we're inbetween diaper loads) I "fix up" a few diaper covers with pfs and keep those laid out and ready for him to plop the baby on, fold up and over and with a press or two, he has the baby all ready. She squirms a lot when changing and the snaps are more challenging. Also, she is tiny so we currently get a better fit with velcro than we do with snaps.
MuntryMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
MuntryMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Forgot to add that while he likes the velcro, and they fit her better for the time being, I'm thinking of adding more snap covers because I like the adjustability in the rise.
MuntryMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
mommorg
Registered Users

When I first started, I thought I would want velcro. But during my trial, I actually found that I liked the snaps better for fit. Once you know what snap settings you need, you know to always snap to that setting and can be assured that your setting is right. With velcro, I kept readjusting trying to get what I felt like was a perfect fit.

Overall, I found the snaps took me the same amount of time (or maybe either shorter) than the velcro since I had to do several adjustments on my velcro. Plus, snaps are easier to clean and do last longer. My husband, who was not enthused about cloth diapering, also preferred the snaps and has since become a big helper with cleaning and stuffing our cloth diapers.
mommorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Velcro offers more sizing versatility than snaps because you can stick it anywhere instead of in certain areas but, as you said, wears out much faster than snaps. It's also much harder for a toddler to get a snap diaper off (in my experience) than a velcro diaper and snaps don't stick to everything in the washer/dryer.

Personally, I like velcro for the newborn stash and snaps for the bigger stash that will be used longer.

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Double post

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I like fbos because you have snaps but qdjustability of legs too. I like snaps. They are fast as well. Once you get used to doing them & hold up better. Aplix I don't know about though.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan's Mom View Post
My husband was new to the cloth diapering...any diapering for that matter :-) He really liked the snaps better than the velcro. The velcro came undone, got stuck on other things, etc. The snaps do last longer. I'd recommend them.
Mine too. We used velcro for the newborn stage but after that, all snaps!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
daydreamr22
Registered Users

I really like velcro but after a while my son learned how to undo the tabs. They are a lot easier though!
daydreamr22 is offline   Reply With Quote