Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
gghmommy
Registered Users

what are your newborn must-haves?

...besides the obvious place to sleep, wipe burps/spit, diapers, wipes???
and do ya'll re-use nipples, just sterilize or do you get new? Last time I kind of missed out on the third tri, so this is all new to me, also couldn't nurse, but I could pump, so I have all that stuff too, just figure it was all sanitized before packing away, may just do again to prep for newbie. thanks! also if you have hospital must haves? I had an odd hospital stay- totally unprepared and we did fine, of course my hubby and mom just brought me anything I asked for! thanks again

Advertisement

gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what are your newborn must-haves?

I would sterilize and re-use unless they are cracked or weak. Silicone can last almost forever, as far as bottle nipples go, just inspect them really well. Don't re-use pacifiers that have joints though. Solid silicone should be fine.

Car seat, clothes, wrap/sling, quiet toys for older kids, and some place to put the baby down so you can get a shower (bouncy seat or the like).
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The common stuff - cloth diapers, blankets, clothes, hats, carseat, baby carriers (woven wraps for me)

The don't need but want - Hygeia breastpump for milk donating (I EBF from the boob), muslin wraps, co-sleeper (mainly for in the living room so I can set baby down to nap when I do the chores that I can't wear for)
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My newborn must-have: Itzbeen timer.

Seriously that thing was SO helpful for months. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=almostcrunchy;16078169]My newborn must-have: Itzbeen timer.

Seriously that thing was SO helpful for months. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Hmm... I've considered something like this. I know they have things like this on iphone, but I don't have an iphone. With Sophie it was no big deal, because she was our first so I could easily keep track of everything, but with a second (and I babysit), I'm sure it won't be as easy.

As for us, we just got down all our baby stuff, and I'm fairly minimal in what I have because we move a lot. I have:
-clothes
-cloth diapers and wipes, pail liner and wet bags
-blankets
-towels, bath stuff, lotion, and a baby bath tub
-bouncy seat
-rocker seat (similar to a bouncy seat, but it rocks- I use it over a swing because we don't have room for a swing)
-bassinet (baby sleeps next to our bed for the first few months)
-nursing cover, breast pads, nursing camis and bras, manual pump, breastmilk storage bags, bottles, nipple cream, pacifier
-carseat
-babywearing gear (I have an ergo, a sling, and a moby)
-Changing table (DH built me one with DD1)... with shelves to store stuff on
-Diaper bag, changing pad

There are probably a few other things, but this mostly covers it. And obviously, these are not all needs. I could do without some of these things if necessary. But these are the things I enjoy having

Last edited by lisha622; 12-26-2012 at 12:15 PM.
lisha622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have the milkies milk saver and was amazed at how much I would leak on the side I wasn't nursing from! I could get 1-3oz a day just using that while nursing!

I like the disposable pads because putting them in the freezer they make great ice packs during those first few weeks when nursing was painful for me

lanolin I used after EVERY feeding those first few weeks

bassinet/cosleeper for our room. has wheels so can move around the house if needed and pull right up to bed.

peanut shell- I used at the very beginning and was the quickest easiest method for me at the newborn stage

infant gowns. I changed diapers before every feeding and the gowns made it much easier than unsnapping/unzipping anything. But I also had a super spitter so we went through 4-5 gowns a day!

swaddle blankets or the velcro swaddle things!

I used/plan to use more than that but those are the things that I don't think I could go without!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostcrunchy View Post
My newborn must-have: Itzbeen timer.

DDC, That looks awesome! Its now on my list

Kristen - Helpmeet to an amazing DH. Mama to seven blessings (and #8 on the way!)
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wrap, plenty of blankets for swaddling (love a+a), meals made ahead or gift cards to restaurants, zip or snap sleepers that are easy to do.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We live litterally like 5 mins/ fewblocks from hospital. So light. Outfit to come home in & baby too as it will be winter still... too cold to go home naked. I just reused for second from 1st...same for third coming.... I'm pretty laid back.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Momma2theJs
Registered Users
seller

Aside from the obvious, I LOOOVED the Milkies Milksavers. I started nursing with only one and I wore it on the side that I wasn't nursing on, but I soon realized that I leaked a TON while waiting for her to wake up to eat. I bought another and put them in my bra while walking around, doing chores, etc. if I felt full and she wasn't waking up yet. There were days I would collect 6-8 OUNCES of milk JUST from the savers. It was AWESOME. I never had to worry about pumping ahead to go out to dinner and leave her with a sitter through a feeding. ( I was NOT a good pumper, so it would seriously take me days to pump a bottle just to go out for a meal.) You don't realize how much milk gets wasted in those nursing pads until you start collecting it! I also love swaddle wraps/swaddle blankets and blanket sleepers!
Momma2theJs is offline   Reply With Quote