Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Need help... maybe dairy allergy?

My EBF baby is going to be 8 weeks old this Friday. He nurses like a champ every 2-3 hours and is starting to sleep 4-5 hour stretches at night after cluster feeding in the evening.

For the last 2 weeks his poop has been green and smelly. He has hiccups a lot and spits up at every other feeding or so. But otherwise he seems happy, not fussy, and is gaining well. At first I thought it was a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, so I've been block feeding the last 5-6 days. It does not seem to be helping. I've been switching boobs every 3-4 hours, should I go longer before switching sides?

Also, how do I tell if it is a milk allergy and not just an imbalance? I do eat a lot of dairy, but never had an issue with my daughter. We keep kosher and tend not to eat a lot of meat, so I will have to change my diet significantly. Do I start an elimination diet, and if so, how long? Anything else it could be an allergy to? Could it have 'just appeared' as an allergy all of a sudden? It seems like the first 6 weeks everything was great. I go back to work full time in 2 weeks, so I need to get this under control!

Advertisement

Last edited by Van1300; 01-01-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Need help... maybe dairy allergy?

Sounds like it could be dairy. I would cut out all dairy and give it 2 weeks to see if things get better. My son got worse with his dairy allergy around 8 weeks.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had the green poops with DD, along witht he upset stomache and spitting up. Block feeding as well as dairy elimination is what worked for us. GL.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Mheagan
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son was diagnosed with MSPI at 2 months old. He was very gassy, had mucus and blood in his poop and would wiggle non stop (later learned because he was so uncomfortable). He also spit up quite a bit. My ped stated that mucus & blood is typical for milk intolerance, allergy I'm not sure. But If you need a good website www.mspimama.com is good. She has TONS of recipies for dairy free eating.
Mheagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

You will need to check labels as a family relative was told to eliminate dairy but then told sorbet was ok.... ingredient is milk in sorbet... good luck.