Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to decide what toys are shared?

Mostly things belong to individual children who are expected to share, if that makes sense. For instance, the Legos mostly live in DS's room because at least half were bought specifically for him, but also because until this past year, he was the one who played with them most. However, just because they are in his room, that doesn't, mean the girls never get to play with them. The same with YDD's dollhouse. It lives in her room, but the older two play with it sometimes. Children are expected to ask before going into another's room to play with things, though.

The way our kids are spaced, I think, has minimized any issues we've had with this.

Advertisement

tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Gigi (4) has a few dolls that were purchased for her that she seems to have a special affinity for. If Will (17m) tries to pry them from her, I intervene on her behalf. Anything else, as long as it's age appropriate, I expect Gigi to share.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

No line here except their Corolle dolls. They each have their own special doll but can hold each other's. Everything else is fair game. My kids are 21 months apart and like the same types of toys.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
esmemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree. My twins share everything!
esmemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

they share
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kiddos are very separated in age so nothing is really shared. I did go through old boxes of toys and books... I let DS decide if he wanted to "give" stuff to DD. He was really cute and wanted to give her his old baby clothes I saved! No way was I going to give her his coming home clothes for a doll! (Someday I hope he'll be glad I saved him special stuff). He is 10 so very little of his current toys are age appropriate for her. He has some racquet balls that he plays wall ball with. He will let her play with them. (BUT ...I think that is because tossing them around with her is the only way he gets to play "ball" in the house)
If I have another, I think we will have share toys in the livingroom and personal toys in the bedrooms. I grew up in a large family and we had a few special... just "mine" toys.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

They share the majority of their toys but they still belong to a certain child Ex: DD's Easel it belongs to her but DS can use it if he ask DD. They do have toys that are just theirs as well. They both have Ipads that are their own and are not to be touched by the other child as well as a few other prized possession.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
Everything will get shared here except for 'special things'. Things that might fall into those categories will get decided over the years.
This. My kids have a few toys that are their "special" toys. Ds1 has a race car and ds2 has a tractor that I don't make them share. However...if they don't take care of it and put it away then it's essentially free game.

As for books...they share so far...except for ds1s library books...those we don't share.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #19
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

My boys have to share everything. If a toy is given to them, then they can play with it (and not share it unless they want to) for that whole day. Then after that, they have to share it. They are 5,4, and 2-1/2 (the boys) and so it's too complicated to have a special this or that because they all love the same things. Maybe that will be more of a thing when the youngest boy is 4ish. Baby Girl plays with whatever is on the floor! I make the boys keep chockable things upstairs so those don't get shared with her!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #20
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
My boys have to share everything. If a toy is given to them, then they can play with it (and not share it unless they want to) for that whole day. Then after that, they have to share it. They are 5,4, and 2-1/2 (the boys) and so it's too complicated to have a special this or that because they all love the same things. Maybe that will be more of a thing when the youngest boy is 4ish. Baby Girl plays with whatever is on the floor! I make the boys keep chockable things upstairs so those don't get shared with her!
This^ We share and take turns, because I'm not having two of everything they own- and even if we did, they would still fight over one for some silly reason! They each still have their lovey though and those we never ever make them share. C has a Eeyore that is down to a rag and D has light blue crocheted blankets thet he calls "gank".