Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:
Pencils, Pens and Papers

I apologize if there is already a post like this. I've been purging like crazy but I'm stuck on what to do with our "office" supplies. I don't have an office room or even a desk. We have a small filing cabinet that doubles as a bench, if needed, or as a table the kids can play on. We also have a file folder that stores in the filing cabinet for all the current bills, stamps, checkbook, etc.

What do I do with things like pens, pencils, note paper, the stapler, etc?

I have a chest of drawers in my bedroom that I keep our home schooling stuff in but I guess I wanted this stuff more easily accessible. I'm trying so hard to get away from having things on counters and tables, but maybe I need a small pencil box to keep in the kitchen somewhere? Help me, please!

Advertisement

jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pencils, Pens and Papers

I usually keep a couple of pens in a drawer in the kitchen. Most of ours live in the desk or the homeschooling stuff. Of course, I say this, but while deep cleaning DS's room this morning, found 2 glue sticks, half a dozen pencils (at least, though some he just got for Christmas), and 4-5 erasers (the large pink ones). lol

I did see a cool post about using mod-podge glue and food coloring to make a colored mason jar. You could then glue cool embellishments on it. Then, if you needed to leave a pencil holder out, at least it would be cool looking.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I keep all of mine of the back of our bedroom door in a shoe organizer. All the kid craft stuff too. Those things hold a ton!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

I keep a little metal bucket from the $ bin at target on my kitchen counter for pens. I also keep a small pencil box with pencils glue sticks and few crayons in my kitchen on a shelf for the kids to do homework. I like the idea of an over the door shoe holder but I already use those for items throughout the house.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

All good suggestions. I do have a drawer that I hadn't thought of. I keep the phone chargers in it. I also have some of those little buckets that might work. Thanks guys, for giving my brain a nudge.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
photocat
Registered Users

An idea I saw somewhere, someone had attached metal sheets to the inside of her cupboards, to hide all the stuff that usually gets stuck on the fridge. She used magnets, the same as you would to attach the bills, schedules and what-not to the fridge. We have done this, one in a kitchen cupboard and one in the hallway shoe/coat closet. I LOVE them!

Now, you could do this but stick a decent magnet on the back of a paper cup, or use a magnetic clip to hold some sort of 'holder' and stick it on the inside of a cupboard door. Not sure how it would hold a stapler though......maybe stick a magnet on it?

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We keep all that type of stuff in a box on the shelf. It is accessible but I dont have to look at it.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have an upper cabinet in the kitchen that has three shelves. One is medical supplies, one is lunch box supplies and one is office supplies. When we bought a bunch of blank CD's I kept the clear plastic lid thing. Like in this picture:

Flipped upside down in makes a great pencil/pen/scissor holder. Then I have a small basket for scratch paper.

I keep a a hanging file holder in my hall closet, like this:

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My setup may not work for OP, but it may for others with multiple preK/elementary kids like me. When they aren't reading, they are more often than not doing art projects, designing comics, or doing homework on our kitchen table. So I have a wooden tray repurposed from a Melissa and Doug toy with mason jars of crayons, pencils, pens, markers, scissors and glue sticks, fancy pens, plus the stapler and tape. It stays on the otherwise clear table all the time, which is why it also has salt and pepper . The nail polish remover is to clean the wipeboards and the shaving cream they play on the table with too. This could easily be scaled down for fewer kids or less artsy kids. Since it is out, they create more, and it looks cute.

ForumRunner_20130101_154145.jpg

Paper is stored elsewhere, but very close to the table with easy access for the kids.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have these small cups that mount to the wall that i store pens and other odd n ends in.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote