Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Pencils, Pens and Papers

These are all GREAT ideas! I'm so glad I posted my question. I'm going to think about which idea will work best in my kitchen. Thank you again!

Advertisement

jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
A little late but this is what I do.
Junk drawer in kitchen holds oft-used items. Pencils, pen, notepads, rubber bands, clips, scissors, tape, and junk.

Here is all the other stuff in one of these large bins. It sits on my craft shelf. Has envelopes, glues, extra paper clips and scissors, sticky notes, stapler, staples, letter opener etc. I only need to get it down once or twice a week at most, so its worth it to me to have it stored out of my kitchen, even if it takes a few extra seconds to open and access.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

Very Organized! I guess I just need to keep a few pens/pencils handy for quick access, but the rest could go somewhere else, like your bin.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to chime in - DH and I both tend to bring home one pen/day from the office (accidentally). DD is young but does like to color (limited to one end of a kitchen counter).
We keep a small can of crayons and DD-safe pens on the end of the counter where she stands.
We keep another jar (coffee mug, actually) of pens on a different kitchen counter. This holds things like sharpies and dry erase markers that I use for labeling food as well.
Another jar in our bedroom (at computer desk) holds more office-type stuff... highlighters, marking pencils, etc.
This gives us a central pen/pencil spot per floor. When they threaten to overflow I go through and weed out dried/used up/unnecessary stuff.
I am a big fan of reusing glass jars (spaghetti sauce, salsa, pickles) for these.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
Just wanted to chime in - DH and I both tend to bring home one pen/day from the office (accidentally). DD is young but does like to color (limited to one end of a kitchen counter).
We keep a small can of crayons and DD-safe pens on the end of the counter where she stands.
We keep another jar (coffee mug, actually) of pens on a different kitchen counter. This holds things like sharpies and dry erase markers that I use for labeling food as well.
Another jar in our bedroom (at computer desk) holds more office-type stuff... highlighters, marking pencils, etc.
This gives us a central pen/pencil spot per floor. When they threaten to overflow I go through and weed out dried/used up/unnecessary stuff.
I am a big fan of reusing glass jars (spaghetti sauce, salsa, pickles) for these.
I used glass jars too but got tired of the cluttered look on my kitchen counter. We have nowhere else currently to put stuff, like a desk, and I wanted them closed away instead of visible!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We homeschool in the kitchen, so I have a "nursery organizer" (basically a shoe organizer with different sizes of pockets) nailed to the wall in the kitchen. It does look a little funny, but it serves the purpose and keeps the table/counter free of clutter and keeps our pens, pencils and other school supplies easy to access. And anyone visiting knows (or soon realizes ) that we homeschool, so I don't really care that that stuff is out in the open, as long as its neat, serving its purpose, and out of my way.

I love TRADES!
Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #17
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

Still contemplating my choices. Thanks again!