Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #121
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: January Stash Game Chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
Oh, I adore those golden book prints and had completely forgot about them!! I had them on a must buy list this summer when I came across them and lost the list. I went to go find some and only found it on ebay . Any ideas were I could find it somewhere else? My mom always sends me fabric for my birthday so I'm making a list .
I found it on fabric.com I think in September. I needed more flannel pokey puppy in early December and there was only a few picks from that website left. There were maybe 7 different patterns...

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #122
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I did a hat yesterday and have a hooded cape in the works I plan to finish tonight and will take pics of tomorrow.

I am not sure how to figure points on them though. Do I just use the yardage listed in the pattern? The had was a pattern I created myself and it's about 1 yr old sized...It's 4 pieces that are about 10 inches across...
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #123
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I HATE silk binding!!! I am horrible at working with it (unfortunately I bought 2 yrds. of the pink whale minkey and binding at the same time I bought this so I have to do this again!). I followed Aesthetic Nest's Minky Blanket and Lovey Blanket tutorial for this set. Here are the pics:

Minky Blanket:

2 Loveys:
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #124
linzerin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

here's a few pics of my finished stuff So glad to have finally mastered the rounded corners on the serger!

42 wipes made from leftover michael miller flannel

Baby legs using http://rabitstew.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/diy-baby-leg-warmers/ tutorial and $2.50 knee socks from Target.

Now the focus falls on my unfinished crochet baby blanket. 30 days til baby, its time to get serious!
linzerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #125
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzerin View Post
$2.50 knee socks from Target.
I beat you on price... I got knee socks at the dollar store! Then I used the bottoms for ankle socks for me. Sometimes me and DD match!
I cut out a dress for myself but DH is working late so probably won't get much sew time till this weekend.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #126
ssboden
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is my first time making a soaker. Knitted felted And finished.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3379713003.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	129755
ssboden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #127
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here are the three skirts I have made in the past few days. They are really simple, and adorable!!! One with my dd, and then made two of my little sisters (9 and 7) a skirt as well in the fabric they chose Going to be a slight picture overload, because I am really proud of how much better my stitching has gotten just in the past week!

Last week I made two grocery bag holders (one for me to match my new kitchen, and one for my mom) and a draft door stopper that is super cute (even if the sizing is way too big. Left a LOT of space for seams...oops!)

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #128
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Wow I feel so lazy.

Not really, I have just severly underestimated how much time I have available to me to sew since I have a 3 month old, a 2yr old and 4yr old.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #129
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa View Post
Here are the three skirts I have made in the past few days. They are really simple, and adorable!!! One with my dd, and then made two of my little sisters (9 and 7) a skirt as well in the fabric they chose Going to be a slight picture overload, because I am really proud of how much better my stitching has gotten just in the past week!
[/IMG]
They look GREAT!
One of my tricks for sewing skirts is to iron the hems first. I cheat like I do with everything I can to make it quicker and easier. I take a piece of cardstock (any matte card stock will do so scrapbooking paper works but you can use old doctor appt card/business cards too!) I draw a line with a permanent marker 1/4 or 1/2 inch from the edge straight across it using a ruler. (Whatever measurement I want the seam to be). Then I fold the fabric over the card stock to the line and iron. I move the card along in the fabric fold as I iron. (The card stock is fine to be ironed over). I repeat that to fold the fabric 2x so there are no rough edges on the inside of the garment. It is the quickest method I have found to do a hem that will be "perfect" every time. It is also a great method for making elastic casings.

Have you tried french seams yet? If not, you will love them! They make the insides look nice and professional. (the insides won't be stringy after you wash them) Basic concept French seams on a pillow case dress so you can see it actually being used in the construction of a garment.

I know you are new to sewing so I hope you don't mind a few tips.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #130
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
They look GREAT!
One of my tricks for sewing skirts is to iron the hems first. I cheat like I do with everything I can to make it quicker and easier. I take a piece of cardstock (any matte card stock will do so scrapbooking paper works but you can use old doctor appt card/business cards too!) I draw a line with a permanent marker 1/4 or 1/2 inch from the edge straight across it using a ruler. (Whatever measurement I want the seam to be). Then I fold the fabric over the card stock to the line and iron. I move the card along in the fabric fold as I iron. (The card stock is fine to be ironed over). I repeat that to fold the fabric 2x so there are no rough edges on the inside of the garment. It is the quickest method I have found to do a hem that will be "perfect" every time. It is also a great method for making elastic casings.

Have you tried french seams yet? If not, you will love them! They make the insides look nice and professional. (the insides won't be stringy after you wash them) Basic concept French seams on a pillow case dress so you can see it actually being used in the construction of a garment.

I know you are new to sewing so I hope you don't mind a few tips.
That...is really confusing. I think I am going to have to read through that a couple times...haha!

And I tried a french seam really early on, and it made ZERO sense, but I should probably try it again.

YES! I want tips You all have seen and heard my poor woes in new sewing.

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote