Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #141
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: January Stash Game Chatter thread

I haven't prewashed anything...all my fabric is currently nicely organized and color coded, and folded, and I can't take it apart. It's pathetic, yes. So far though, the skirts I have washed look totally fine, so that is good. Good to know on the mixing of fabrics!

I need a new iron! I think I will look at target today. Ours is so old.

Silly question... short of getting a mat and a rotary cutter, how do you make sure that your lines are actually straight when you cut them? Those two things together are pricey! And I know I will get them in the future, but in the short term, any ideas?

Advertisement

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #142
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know about short term...but definitely wait for a fifty percent off sale on those things at Joann's. Then get a coupon you can use with the sale and they're not so pricey after all. I love a good bargain.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #143
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Great job everyone!! Those skirts are really cute!

I haven't done much crafty since Monday I have been trying to figure out school for the kids, well mostly math. We are about done with our books, and are working about a half a year behind and well I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay half a year behind, or try to catch them up and get them on level by our next year's start or just sure up their math to now and wind up a year behind (our math is actually advanced and this doesn't really bother me) or what I was doing. I have finally decided on that, but then had to put effort yesterday into what we were doing for Girl Scouts last night.

Maybe today...
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #144
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I don't know about short term...but definitely wait for a fifty percent off sale on those things at Joann's. Then get a coupon you can use with the sale and they're not so pricey after all. I love a good bargain.
I did this with my cutting board It isn't the huge one, but it isnt the little one either. Ended up being like $20, instead of $50. Just couldn't do that, and fabric, and cutter, and I figured a cutter was useless without a board anyway

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #145
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I made my first attempt at sewing mama cloth today. The first three are regular day pads, the next three are liners. I wasn't sure how much needed to go in them...the pads have 1 layer flannel, 1 layer towel, 1 layer fleece. The liners just have 3 layers of flannel, and are reversible--there are different prints on the other side.

Did we figure out if the Mom bonus thing is just one time use? I don't know how to figure up my points.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #146
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa View Post
Silly question... short of getting a mat and a rotary cutter, how do you make sure that your lines are actually straight when you cut them? Those two things together are pricey! And I know I will get them in the future, but in the short term, any ideas?
Do you have chalk or washable markers? That is what I use to with a ruler. (I stole my chalk and washable markers from my kids )
For big things, I used a yardstick from home depot. (Which I still keep in my craft room.) I would cut the end straight. Then measure every 12" or so by putting a dot. Then I would connect the dots. Then cut along the lines.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #147
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They were 40% off and I had a coupon...just went ahead and bought it today

And now, there is 0 reason for me to go into joanns, right? Like, 0. The red tag ends tomorrow. I might hop in to this cute little local consignment fabric shop I found (!!!!), but that cant happen often as the hours are weird.

Now, to come up with some fun projects!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #148
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Rdesonia- I just wanted to say thank you for being so patient with me and answering all my annoying questions I promise I am listening even when it doesn't look like I am

I went out and got a new iron today, too! Ours was old and kind of rusted at the bottom (wow, we iron *so* much around here...). It isn't fancy, but feels super nice after my old, dying one Planning on trying another skirt using my new mat and cutter and ironing board and your tips!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #149
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just did a french seam practice...I like it! Although, I think I will do smaller seam allowances....It seems like a pretty big bump inside based off that video. But it was really easy to understand

Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #150
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I learned to sew a little from my grandma, a little from books, a little from patterns, and a lot from making mistakes. (Ah... the joys of life before the internet!)
I don't mind you asking questions and completely understand if you don't do them "my way". I find sewing like cooking. Give 5 people the same ingredients and tell them to make chili... you'll get 5 different tasting chilis. You kinda have to figure out how to do it your way and in your own rhythm.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote