Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #181
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: January Stash Game Chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
Oh but you have to at least post pics.... I love to see diaper pics!
Glad to hear that...I felt like in Nov. everyone was probably sick to death of seeing me post nighttime pants. I'm waiting on fabric right now--I ordered it online since there's no fabric close to me.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #182
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am getting pretty good at simple twirly skirts! I tried a few ruffle ones, and they are not going well, and I am hating wasting the fabric, so for now, just making a ton of the same style of skirt for my daughter. I think she has 4 now, and I made two for two of my little sisters, so at least 6 skirts that look good so far!

I am also making two friends sets of 35 wipes from some flannel, plus working on making our family some as well.

I made 2 money envelopes. One with interfacing and one without (so it can be bent and put into a small zipper pouch) for a friend. They are kind of messy, but you have to look close to see it, and she loves them so anyway...we used some fun prints

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #183
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first fitted diapers. They are too small for a newborn! BOO! (That is a 14" doll! PS... They outer fabric is Vintage 100% cotton barkcloth. )

30 wipes.

2 shirts, 1 pair of pants, 3 capris, and a skirt

2 peasant dresses and a pillcowcase dress

I was going to use 2 sheets. After cutting up one, I decided to just upcycle one of them. Can you believe I got all the clothes in the last 2 pictures out 1 queen size sheet that cost less than $1 at a thrift store???

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #184
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I was going to use 2 sheets. After cutting up one, I decided to just upcycle one of them. Can you believe I got all the clothes in the last 2 pictures out 1 queen size sheet that cost less than $1 at a thrift store???
That's awesome!! I love upcycles!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #185
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Rdesonia- WOW! Those clothes are soooooooooo cute! Will be a perfect feel for summer too. Could you donate the diapers... would they fit preemies or like 5 lbs. babies?

Well, I didn't get much sewing done last night... I got the 3 boys in bed a little later than usual. Then Baby Girl woke up at 8:15pm (she goes to bed at 7pm) and I ended up holding her for 45 minutes (she doesn't feel good). By then it was 9pm and I knew I didn't want to serge while watching Downton Abbey (would never be able to hear it), so I just cut fabric for this week's challenge. Fabric, Grocery Bags! Here is hoping tonight goes as planned...
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #186
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Pads finished... I will not be making a living of sewing and selling these anytime soon. haha. Not the best stitching, but as they are for periods; I am not too worried.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #187
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
Pads finished... I will not be making a living of sewing and selling these anytime soon. haha. Not the best stitching, but as they are for periods; I am not too worried.

I had a lot of trouble with mine too. The curves (concave to convex) was horrible. I adjusted my tension and still not as nice as I would have liked. Then I saw one of the Wahms that makes cloth pads and she commented on a post a great idea. She said she takes off the blade (or puts it down) since they are all precut. I wish I would have thought of that. I kept having to fight with the fabric so it wouldn't get cut while I was trying to serge in the curve. I bet without the blade it would have been easier. (I hope I can remember that 5 years from now when I make more since the ones I made in 2008 are still functional ... just a little pilly like flannel does after lots of use. )

(Ps Today I did upcycle a wool sweater into a sleeveless dress. I just kinda guessed at size .... Oh my! I was way off. It was down to DD's ankles! LOL! I compared it to a few things she has that are too big... It's a size 5/6. At least it is proportional! )

Last edited by Rdesonia; 01-21-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #188
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Those diapers are cute but tiny Rdesonia! I second the preemie idea, or you could always use them as you DDs doll diapers. My girls have some of those.

Wow--that's a lot of MC! How many? They may not be perfect but I think they look pretty good.

As for me, I'm still waiting on fabric but I did get a shipping notification this morning so hopefully just another couple days. My grandma bought me a turtleneck for a dollar on clearance...I will choke in a turtleneck. I've wanted to try out that pattern for making a diaper, hat and pants from a shirt...so I did! I really need practice with knits.

I even made a couple extra things...hat, pants, doubler, diaper, mittens (the anti-sratch kind) and 4 really, really wonky wipes. I'm using a ballpoint needle...but how can I sew close to the edge without it getting lettuce-y? And what's the best way to do elastic on knit? On wovens I zigzag, but I'm guessing that wouldn't be good on knits since your fabric would stretch too. Any tips for me? I liked doing this, but it didn't turn out as neat as I would have liked, so tell me what you know and I'll try again with another shirt.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #189
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can zigzag elastic in a knit because it will just tighten up when you are done. (I have a broken zigzag that is meant for knits on my machine when I have done this.) I tend to channel set most elastic because I don't like exposed elastic. (it's a personal preference not a good sewing/construction reason)

I find that some stuff looks a little "wonky" when I'm done (where it stretched just a little while sewing) but after I wash it you can't see it. (But I use the stitches meant for knits so it allows the material to stretch or get lax a little. So the fabric will go back into shape after washing and drying.) I have actually almost thrown stuff away.. washed it... And was amazed at how I couldn't see the flaws at all!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #190
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Those diapers are cute but tiny Rdesonia! I second the preemie idea, or you could always use them as you DDs doll diapers. My girls have some of those.

Wow--that's a lot of MC! How many? They may not be perfect but I think they look pretty good.
24 mamacloths. I've been blessed with 7 day long periods so I figured I'd need a good amount. I was worried it wouldn't be enough!

Those clothes you sewed are adorable! I haven't worked much with knits so I'm not help, but think you did amazing!