Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #121
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****January**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Poor Buddy.

Ah! I spend months saving up for material right. In a heart beat I have to spend $60 on feed today! it wasn't in the budget to buy again this early. I'm feeding more than expected. That was 200 lbs of feed. there isn't much to free range atm. The big problem is the bucket and pvc pipe I made into a chick feeder. The older chicks and a cpl of the big hens can squeeze their heads into it. So I'm feeding them in the morning and those ones are eating the little ones food all day. This is not counting chick food for the bitties in the grow out pen and inside. Don't get me wrong, the eggs are buying lots of food, but too many old non laying hens. If it wasn't so bitter cold out I'd go ahead and process them now! It's rediculious feeding so many old hens that will never produce. That food should be going to the ones growing. :/ If the first batch of mea chicks were just a month older I'd heat the out-building and just process them all in there. What's so weird is the old non-layers eat more, hog , and guard the food. I still hand feed and they still start their crap. I have to spread the feed way out and in diff places.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #122
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah think about how much feed you're going to go thru before then. I'd butcher them now if it were me.

Well it looks like the cold snap did it's work, Tilly is in full moult and boy does she look silly. I thought I'd been seeing a lot of her feathers laying around lately and chalked it up to stupid livy getting her and pecking her too, but today I got the shock of my life when I went out to collect eggs. Half her neck feathers are gone! LOL She looks like someone gave her a mullet. I need to get a pic...
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #123
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Question of the night, what kind of light should I get to candle the eggs with?
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #124
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

LED flashlight, bright as you can find. The greater the lumens the better.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #125
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

oh my word.. I just realized something that made me totally dorky giddy... if I plan the covering out right, I could totally use the chicken tractor-hoophouses I had planned as greenhouses during winter- SCORE!!!!!

http://www.missmodish.com/modish/201...beginning.html
Old 01-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #126
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just what Liz said. I have a small coleman one with one bulb in it, but that think is super bright! Walmart, lol.

I love it Liz, great idea! I showd it to Ray yesterday, begging for one of those too, and said but what if I used it as a greenhouse? He still siad no cause I have to much on his list, lol.

I have to see a pic! Not Elly May is still moulting. She just finished her 3 days in the broody breaker. I went to grab her with wet gloves and her feathers stuck all over my hands. Ray about had a cow.

I guess I'm headed out to let the turds out. And feed them all.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #127
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Haha, poor ray! I'll get a pic of her later if Fred will let me. Jerk rooster always gets up in our faces and blocks us from the hens if we're trying to take a pic. Worn out his welcome, that one. grrr...
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #128
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lol!

I'm seriously wondering if our blue, Harmony, is going broody. Yesterday I had to kick her out of the coop. She was in there on the eggs all day. Then stayed out! Today, she's been in all day again. She's due for an egg today. I keep finding broody poos, but Not Elly May was just broody, could still be her. Good grief, Harmony has gotten super aggressive in the boxes too. Snatched out a mouthfull of feathers from a poor rock laying next to her. Then the dumb butt switched nests 3 times, laying on the rock and then the aust, then back again. Well I had to take her off the poor rock. It's not uncommon for my girls to do that, just not over and over. It's too cold to put her in the dang broody breaker without heat of some kind. I have no more coards, lights, or plug-ins! No space to put a cage up there either. The heat would defeat the purpose, so would the cage in the coop. We are frozen, letting the boys eat and warm up and then back out we go. Have to put clean shavings in the growout pen and check on them. The feeder prob could use a topoff, so could the one at the main coop.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #129
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

uh oh, sure sounds like she's getting there. Tilly was trying out the broody thing the other day which I found really bizarre considering she's right in the middle of a fairly decent moult. She'd planted herself on some eggs and I had to put her on the roost twice. She finally went.. but ... weirdo. LOL

I haven't heard from Sarah C. yet about whether she got the eggs. She said she'd let me know. I don't want to message her again but I'm...
Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #130
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She must be super busy because she hasn't gotten back with me either? She's always fast to respond. Must have something going on.

She's broody alright! I put her in the dang pen and covered her really well. Stinker! She's also moulting, really slowly. Not Elly May is moulting too, just faster. Weird gals!