Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #241
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****January**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

I just got the OK to buy some duck hatching eggs! Yep, those are going in the bator as soon as these chickies hatch. I love ducks, had them when I was about 10yo and wanted some ever since.

Advertisement

Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #242
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

cool! the lady I just sold my pullet to said she had duck eggs, lots of roosters and different variety hens, and drakes for sale. I'd love a couple ducks, it just seems so unfair to keep them here in the heat.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #243
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is why you build a little pond for them to cool down in, with a waterfall to kepp the water circulating. *winkwink*
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #244
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Ha... I think my dh would institutionalize me... I've already given dh orders for 2 movable pens for meat birds and turkeys and told him I'm making a "pasture" for my birds.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #245
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think you can build a pond by yourself LOL! I am going to attempt to convince the hubby we need a pond as well, preferably a larger one. Which, honestly I don't think he will fuss about because he already wants one for wild ducks (so he can shoot them :rollseyes. And I think maybe a couple goats this spring as well. Now all we need is a cow and horse and we will be full fledged nutcases *ahem* I mean "farmers".
Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #246
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
I think you can build a pond by yourself LOL! I am going to attempt to convince the hubby we need a pond as well, preferably a larger one. Which, honestly I don't think he will fuss about because he already wants one for wild ducks (so he can shoot them :rollseyes. And I think maybe a couple goats this spring as well. Now all we need is a cow and horse and we will be full fledged nutcases *ahem* I mean "farmers".
Nope, still don't think he'd go for it.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #247
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lol, hey can't say I didn't try. Maybe someday you will convince him. They are very sweet, used to follow me around my yard.

ETA: Looks like I only have 11 viable chicks, I blame it on newbie hatching and my 2 yo who thinks eggs are fun to play with. Crap, well at least next time I will have a better idea what to do.

Last edited by Nielsen6; 01-31-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #248
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Liz, I have sq bubkeyes and bcm's.

Concrats on the eggs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Lol, hey can't say I didn't try. Maybe someday you will convince him. They are very sweet, used to follow me around my yard.

ETA: Looks like I only have 11 viable chicks, I blame it on newbie hatching and my 2 yo who thinks eggs are fun to play with. Crap, well at least next time I will have a better idea what to do.
Sorry to hear that Fodie. I ended up tossing half of mine last night.

Have you thought about ducks yet, breed that is? The ones we are getting don't come till spring when they lay again. 250 average is the egg count. I just can't wait. They are the size of geese! YUM!!! Who can afford duck nowa days anyhow.

Sorry for the mia. Been finishing up that box and all sorts of other things.

I think I'm gonna make this thread a rest of winter chat, unless it starts to malfunction.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #249
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Aw, I'm so sorry about your eggs, mamas. I admit when our power went out for an hour the other day I wondered how I would deal with that during a hatch situation. Dh wants a generator for our camper though, so in the future it should be ok. I think we've unanimously decided that heritage meat birds are for us and we'd gladly wait the 20weeks to butcher for the quality. So I need to consider possibly making a bigger incubator from a cooler to allow for that, turkeys, and any egg hens I raise because this obviously isn't going to be as "every once in a while" as I originally thought. A "coolerbator" would be much easier to sanitize between hatches also.

So today is coop cleanout day and I'm dragging my feet. Bought my hay and sack of feed last night. 50lbs of turkey grower mash was $19.. not bad considering what it HAS been. I'm going to cut the little rooster's portion of the grower feed in half with scratch to help fatten them. They're 9 weeks now and we'd like to butcher them at 16. By then I should be looking at putting the little babies out for transition. And yes, I've been feeding the gals grower. They are absolutely RAVENOUS right now and I think the extra protein and corn is helping tame their appetites and behavior and hopefully keep them warmer. I've just been feeding them back their eggshells and it's been fine. I just rinse and leave them in a grocery sack till they dry, crush them underfood and toss. I read several sources that said to pulverize in a food processor though, do you all do that? Is it really necessary?

one last thing, I'm getting my grass seed hopefully today, gonna mix a small amount of wildflower seed with it so it's pretty to look at (and chickens love eating flowers LOL) and seed out my "chicken pasture" on the side of the house.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 02-01-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #250
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Aw, I'm so sorry about your eggs, mamas. I admit when our power went out for an hour the other day I wondered how I would deal with that during a hatch situation. Dh wants a generator for our camper though, so in the future it should be ok. I think we've unanimously decided that heritage meat birds are for us and we'd gladly wait the 20weeks to butcher for the quality. So I need to consider possibly making a bigger incubator from a cooler to allow for that, turkeys, and any egg hens I raise because this obviously isn't going to be as "every once in a while" as I originally thought. A "coolerbator" would be much easier to sanitize between hatches also.
Haha!! It's official, contagious! I was thinking how awsome a broke-down freezer would be, lol. A smallish one. I'd live one of the huge coolers to convert, but they are so expensive! We have one for camping, something like 100 gal? It'll have to wait.
So today is coop cleanout day and I'm dragging my feet. Bought my hay and sack of feed last night. 50lbs of turkey grower mash was $19.. not bad considering what it HAS been. I'm going to cut the little rooster's portion of the grower feed in half with scratch to help fatten them. They're 9 weeks now and we'd like to butcher them at 16. By then I should be looking at putting the little babies out for transition. And yes, I've been feeding the gals grower. They are absolutely RAVENOUS right now and I think the extra protein and corn is helping tame their appetites and behavior and hopefully keep them warmer. I've just been feeding them back their eggshells and it's been fine. I just rinse and leave them in a grocery sack till they dry, crush them underfood and toss. I read several sources that said to pulverize in a food processor though, do you all do that? Is it really necessary?
I'm finding the flock adores the mix in of the sweet-feed. I mix layer pellets with crushed corn and the sweet feed. I use the lower protein. I think it's the perfect mix for right now.

I never crush my shells. I just toss them out daily. I give whole eggs too, just toss on a rock. So nutritious. Never had anyone mess with any eggs. I dropped the basket once and they only went for the smashed up ones. Didn't touch the unbroken ones.

one last thing, I'm getting my grass seed hopefully today, gonna mix a small amount of wildflower seed with it so it's pretty to look at (and chickens love eating flowers LOL) and seed out my "chicken pasture" on the side of the house.

I bet your pasture is going to be so lovely.

AFM- spent the day in the out-building working on the framing of the new double breeder coop. I'll update with pics soon. most of the gals like the new nest boxes. Daisy takes up one all day though, errrr. i knew she would.

We have aprox 1" of snow, played some today. Supposed to get around 3-4 tonight. We'll see, lol. Got some pics. Just have to get the time to upload.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote