Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #321
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
Thank you, I am beyond excited, I could squeal. I just got an email from him saying he would not charge any extra delivery since I ordered one more coop. At first I was thinking I would just buy one, but when I ran the idea of getting a second to DH he jumped in the idea because he thought the run was a lil dinky in the first place.

So, I emailed the builder to see if he still had the second one available, which thankfully he still did. We are finally going to have 2 nice safe spaces for the girls.
I'm so happy for you! This will be great for you having the extra space, and feeling safe!
This reminds me of the age old question: "Which came first the chicken or the coop?"

I am NOT going to lose another bird to these stinky hawks.

Seems I miss so much on here, had no clue you were having to go to such lengths to keep the babies safe. What we do for our birds!
I know they are just chickens, and most meat birds. BUT I can't allow any suffering and I just want the life they do have to be as happy as possible.
Totally off topic, but I started Zumba this week. Went to the night class last night, my calves are feeling it! My mom has been to 3 classes, last nights, this mornings and tonight's. She is 65 and runs circles around me. I thought the night class was too full with 33 ppl (the room they do it in is not much bigger than my living room!) so I told her I would take the morning class with her. But, I did not mean I would get up this morning and take it. LOL. That would be 2 classes in just barely 12 hrs. Um, she is psycho. Anyway, I will start morning class, supposed to be less ppl. It is actually really fun.
So cool! Great your mom is so fit. I hope you enjoy the extra time with her. And the exercise should be fun once you get in the routine of it all. I'd take that break today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotmywings View Post
I had to comment. I take body pump and body..something classes (cant remember the name!) 4 times a week and the little 65 year old ladys use more weights then me. LOL Its reallly really sad.
Isn't it wild how some of our elders can literally run laps around us! My G-parents that live in Ca are that way. Healthier, and even great looking! Of course sh'e has a face lift and tummy tuck, but imo she didn't even need it.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #322
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Heeeyyy, ladies! I don't have time to catch up right now, but I am in DESPERATE need of advice!

Will my free-rangers make their way back into the coop when the snow starts getting bad? They're all chilling in their favorite spot in the woods right now (just a few yards away from the coop). I just don't want them to get stuck out there!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #323
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my experience mine have stayed out to play in the rain and snow, even in freezing conditions and sopping wet. BUT, when they get tired of it, they go back into the coop to warm up and dry off. I don't think mine would make it without the lights the way they love to play in the freezing rain. They go in and it looks like they are on fire with all the steam coming off of them, lol. Their instincts will kick in. When they get cold enough, they should go back in!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #324
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Bekki mine are dumber than Sarah's chickens, I'd shoo them in. They'll stay out there till they are soaked to the bone and then can't get dry!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #325
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah, I tried to tilt the eggs a little this am, but the AM ones are really too big. I'm kinda at a loss. I didn't candle them because I just wanted them to be able to stay still and rest. THe silkie eggs were easier to tilt. I'm so lost trying to figure this all out, and I want the Am's to hatch SOOO badly!! The rest from Sarah C. should be here today, at least I hope so because we're due for snow tonight. It's 34 degrees out now and the storm is supposed to hit midday. My roos are pitiful. Sitting on the porch looking mournfully in the house. LOL

Michelle those coops are gorgeous, I LOVE how it opens fully for cleaning! Wow! Congrats on starting your workouts, keep it up! I started p90x a month ago now and while it was VERY hard for me at first I can at least finish or get close to finishing all the reps now. At first I couldn't do more than 5 pushups in a row even on my knees. Maybe if I get brave I'll post pics eventually but I'm 2 days from finishing phase one (30 days) and I have lost 12 lbs and 2" all the way down my body from my chest to my hips and almost 3" from my thighs!! I have a long way to go but I'm really happy with how far I've gotten.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #326
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm still reading, enjoying just learning from everyones posts
So it'll be about 3 weeks now until our chicks come, anything I should be preparing? I'm getting a dozen silkies, what should I keep them in to start with? My friend suggested a kiddie pool as long as the bottom is covered so they aren't sliding all over.
I've also been looking at different coop plans, I'm thinking we might turn one of our machine sheds into a coop, that way it still matches the rest of our farm and won't cost as much. I think we'll fence in a run but hope to let them free range. A neighbor told me that they have a problem with mink getting their chickens. I'm hoping our dogs keep most of the predators away but I'm thinking we should maybe be prepared just incase the free ranging won't work.
My IL's had a coop, but I guess when they were done with it they just put it in the woods behind our house(along with all the boulders and everything else they didn't want!) So I might be able to use parts of it still.
My parents live in the city and my Dad told me the other day he'd be happy to come out and spend a weekend working on the coop, he's a great carpenter and that way it's less for DH to do.
Hoping to have it all settled and done by my due date! As long as spring comes soon we'll be fine!

Last edited by MrsCrafty; 02-08-2013 at 10:26 AM.
MrsCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #327
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

other eggies are here! 7 lavendar ameraucanas and 2 wheaten! I just went ahead and set them because the air cells looked good and with the cold, I am assuming potentially weak embryos and waiting one more day might not be good. 28 eggs in my incubator!

I'm thinking since the two groups of eggs are just about 12 hours apart that I may stop turning the second group a day early and then do a slow rise to lockdown. Like 50-55% humidity for the first 12 hours and then up to 60-65%. Thoughts Sarah?

Oh and sarah I wanna see your Am babies now!

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 02-08-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #328
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

They are IN!!!

When it snows, I usually put a tarp over the coop and run (well, what's left of the run). I set out the tarp, and just waited them out.

It took SEVERAL tries (every time I went out to close the door, they ran out, looking for more treats!). But they are finally safe and sound inside. I then took a really BIG tarp, and laid that over a much bigger area that covers the coop and run. This will make post-storm cleanup much easier.

I just feel better now, knowing that there is a barrier between them and the hungry coyotes.

Now I'm second guessing my free-ranging. I can't believe I lost two chickens in one week!

Liz - I can't wait to see chick pics!

Sarah - How is Patience??

I've been way out of the loop lately. Crazy busy, but the remaining four chickens are doing good.

We're getting a bigger coop in the next several weeks. Someone local-ish builds some nice ones, for really good prices, too! http://coops4u.weebly.com/

We will use our current smaller coop as a grow-out for chicks down the road.

A friend of mine is planning on placing an order for chicks soon. I'm gonna get in on it so I can get some more - definitely silkies, EE's and frizzles!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #329
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Thanks Sarah, I will take pics after we get the coops delivered, we can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
I'm still reading, enjoying just learning from everyones posts
So it'll be about 3 weeks now until our chicks come, anything I should be preparing? I'm getting a dozen silkies, what should I keep them in to start with? My friend suggested a kiddie pool as long as the bottom is covered so they aren't sliding all over.
I bet you are anxious to get them!

Make sure whatever brooder you use has high sides and is not drafty, a kiddie pool sounds too big for right away if you are getting day olds. We usually use a small cardboard box with paper towels on the bottom with the heat lamp shining in a corner. They can get chilled easily and that is your enemy in those first few days. Also we do not hold them a lot in the first week, we heard it can stress them. After a week or two of everyone doing fine, we give lots of cuddles.

Oh and look for a digital thermometer to place in the bottom of the brooder. We normally shoot for 95 the first couple weeks then going down 5 degrees a week til they feather out.

I had to grind up our chick starter to tiny granules, almost powder like in the food processor because the silkies mouths were too tiny to fit the normal starter crumbles in their mouths. I would also offer them their processed food mixed with hot kettle water and sometimes added a tablespoon of yogurt. They loved that the most. I fed them this powdered crumble for many weeks, they are thriving and eating normal chick starter now at 8 weeks and live outdoor full time in the coop.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 02-08-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #330
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Um, they play the music WAY too loud at Zumba. My mom brought ear plugs today. I don't think I will go back. My ears are still ringing and my left ear actually hurts!

The worst part is they had babies in strollers against the walls and I know that the incredibly loud music is damaging their ears, it was certainly damaging mine. It is louder than any concert I have attended. I refuse to wear earplugs because they won't turn the music down, and I cannot sit there and watch the kids ears bring ruined...oh well they lost me!

Looking into buying the videos.

Liz, congrats on your success! Are you doing videos?

Oh and ya'll don't be too impressed with my mom, she modifies big time, as she should! But she is pretty amazing!

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 02-08-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote