Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #501
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Here's my sad little one.

And some pics of the others

I read that silkies can't be sexed until they're older either. The buff one seems a little aggressive though? I wonder if it hatched earlier then the others?

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #502
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Aw, hope the blk one is doing better. Didn't the kids want a black one? Glad they didn't peck it. Mine always do that, hence starting the trimming thing. Just glad it worked out. I second chick vits/electrolytes. I have even given last chance chicks a tiny sprinkle of sugar in their water too. Prob not the best, but it's helped a cpl times for us as a last resort. Gave the chicks just enough enerdy to get moving and rehydrate. Same as you get dextrose in iv fluids. You can grind and offer chick starter as well if it's up for eating. Like a liquidy paste.

The ladies doing my specialties trade said the sq ones are impossible to sex. She said she would have to wait a while to send them. I need one blk and one lav roos, the rest hens. I just figured some were? I bet she just meant that the more sq, the more impossible? I dunno. I havn't learned much about them yet. Oh the hens will be lav and 1 white.

Anyone know the egg count, aprox, that a hen will produce yearly?

I've been up since 2:30. I went ahead and put together the new bator. LOVE the size!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #503
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DS wanted buff but my nephew(the littler darker boy in the pic) wanted the black ones you can't see then well they are in his arms. DSD was scared, and then one pooped on her dress and she was done with them she'll get over it.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #504
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So my little black one(I really need a name, was thinking Grace for her) seems maybe a tiny bit better. I took her out to give her water and when I put her back she made it over to the overs and cuddled up to them. They don't seem cold, they will spread out but don't seem to be hiding from the light.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #505
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you have the temp perfect. They move when they need to.

I noticed your dd, ! You looks georgious! <3

I'm so happy it seems better! I think Grace is perfect. That's my first cochin's name. She's one big black sweetie! She was the first in that trade from the hoarder. The worst deal I mentioned, malnitrition, anemia, cocci, scaley leg mites, food hoarding, fear of open areas/grass, I can keep going! It was a perfect name pic for us. Sound the same for you'r lo! I did simular names for all the cochins from him.
I just spent an hour and a half pooper scooping the shavings in the coop. I need a bigger scooper. Wonder if they make one bigger, haha? I have a huge one. it traps the tiny pieces too, but I have to get fine shavings.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #506
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Sarah. It's funny, DS is definitely our little farmer. When we have the chicks out they all head to him, even when my nephew or I were holding them, they wanted to go to DS. With my little Grace, is it best you think to just leave her in there? Or hold her to keep her warmer and give her more frequent water?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #507
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Aw they're so sweet! Congrats Denise! I would mix up a little sugar-water to give the weak one. Have you observed her eating and drinking? Keep an eye on the poopy butt one, IME it re occurs with the ones that are prone to it and like sarah said if that one has a ton of butt fluff, I'd trim VERY carefully or pull out the fluff a bit around the vent. I had to do that with my brahma when she was a baby. She had so much butt fluff that it would drop onto her fluff and then clog her up.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #508
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Aw they're so sweet! Congrats Denise! I would mix up a little sugar-water to give the weak one. Have you observed her eating and drinking? Keep an eye on the poopy butt one, IME it re occurs with the ones that are prone to it and like sarah said if that one has a ton of butt fluff, I'd trim VERY carefully or pull out the fluff a bit around the vent. I had to do that with my brahma when she was a baby. She had so much butt fluff that it would drop onto her fluff and then clog her up.
Thanks I will try the sugar water. I tried soaking some of the food in water so maybe some nutrients would get in her through the water. The buff with the caked butt I saw pooping today so thats a good sign right? I read you can dab vasoline to help it from getting crusted?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #509
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yes, and yes that's a great idea.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #510
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Tomorrow is lockdown for my egglets.. eek! I need to prep a brooder! Got some chicken related mail the other day, one was the chicken waterer nipples, I'm going to try it with a coke bottle with these babies to see how they do, if it's good I may try it with the whole flock! Also ordered a chicken plucker attachment for the drill. Yeah, I know we could've made it ourselves but neither of us really wanted to try. We're lazy like that. LOL It's nice, I hope it works well.