Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #521
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Alrighty, day 7 and we have 16 beautiful developing eggs. The other 4 were clear. Now we wait. LOL! Oh and good news, I have 3 EE's laying. I got 3 creams and 1 green and 3 blue. I love colored eggs! And the chickies are fantastic too. I will post pics of them soon. I love your babies Denise! Awww.
YAY!!! I can't wait to see pics of your fluffies! YIPPY for laying eggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
It does seem like the silkies are hard to incubate. I was thinking about seeing if there's locals that have them. I'm not far from Norco, CA where there's quite a bit of farming. I could pick up some babies when I visit my BFF!

This is what I got, It's really well made! I know you can make them from pvc and the big rubber tie thingies but what can I say, that sounded like way too much headache and then the cap splits really easily from what I saw watching vids on youtube when you're drilling for the rubber things.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230834477980...84.m1439.l2649
You need to tell us all how it works out
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
And she's gone. I'm probably pregnant and extra emotional but I'm glad I atleast got to hold her when she went. I really think that lady just gave me whatever she had because I wanted more even though she knew it maybe wasn't doing well. You think I should email her?
Oh mama, so sorry. She should have never given you that baby, especially since she was not well from pick up
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
So sorry you lost her, it's so rough to loose our critters.
Had a lovely egg burrito tonight. I've been sick off and on (pretty much just on though) for three weeks now. I really haven't felt like eating much. Nothing sounds appealing to me. Tonight I made up the burrito, and wow did it hit the spot. Maybe if I had thought to eat more eggs I would have gotten better quicker. Maybe not, but at least I would have been full. So thanks to my hens for making my tummy happy after a long spell of it being unhappy.
I am glad you are on the mend and your tummy is feeling better
Quote:
She basically just said 'it happens'. :-/
UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!! She should replace said baby and also make well on the actual arrangement!

AFM: We set Liz and Sarah's eggs last night, so candling will happen next Sunday, and hatch day is stated for St Patty's day, here's to hoping a lucky hatch with more than 50% hatch rate!
We are not able to go to the farm to cull our flock today, it is too cold to do what we need to do, so maybe next weekend, YAY, culling the flock the day after my b-day....lol, oh what fun, right

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #522
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
So sorry you lost her, it's so rough to loose our critters.
Had a lovely egg burrito tonight. I've been sick off and on (pretty much just on though) for three weeks now. I really haven't felt like eating much. Nothing sounds appealing to me. Tonight I made up the burrito, and wow did it hit the spot. Maybe if I had thought to eat more eggs I would have gotten better quicker. Maybe not, but at least I would have been full. So thanks to my hens for making my tummy happy after a long spell of it being unhappy.
Glad you're feeling better! Eggs are supposed to be one of the easier proteins to digest.

Quote:
She basically just said 'it happens'. :-/
Are you KIDDING me? Yeah, it happens but not that quick and she should be guaranteeing her chicks as a breeder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Gotta show Ray!!!!!

Oh sweetheart! I'm soooo sorry!

I didn't know you were so sick hun. Eggs are great at keeping down. After Cayden's stomach surg, that's what he got after the liquids. Stay well Moma!!

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!! BS-pardon me. Silkies very fragile so I just found out, but that's what she summed it up as! I bet anything she sold before you got there thinking you may not come, had some weak ones left and pawned them onto you to care for. That's unethical.

I have decided no silkies! They are too hard to hatch, care for, and bring to breeding age. I'm not ready for that kind of challenge! I really wanted some of Rachaels, but I can't. CJ's won't even ship them untill they are older because of being so fragile, and now Heather and Rachael say the same. I thought it was to sex them. I misunderstood. it was a life issue.

I dunno.

Today we finish the coop and keep my mind occupied I guess.
Yeah I've really been shocked how fragile they seem to be. It would seem (via a bit of research) that short of a crow or an egg they can only be DNA sexed. DNA SEXED! Good grief. I guess I won't be having too many of those either. Everything I've read makes them sound so hearty.

Today is lockdown!!! Dh gave me the thumbs up to buy a brinsea eco glow brooder I just can't pull the trigger on that. $80 shipped! Good grief!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #523
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yea, I feel like I did my due diligence, checked her out, she's active on a chicken forum, there was pictures of her flock and coops and they looked great. I think she honestly just didn't have healthy chicks but wanted to sell me something. I paid $12 for the 6 chicks. She offered me other breeds but I knew I wanted silkies and EEs since they seem like they'd get along well and hadn't researched any other breeds.
DS took it ok today when I told him she passed, almost lucky she was so sick the whole time so he wasn't attached to her like the others. However if his buff that had the crusty butt dies he will be very upset. Thats his fav little chick and our only buff.
How much do you handle your chicks? Is it good/bad?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #524
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

How old are the chicks Denise? The first 2-3 days I try not to handle them a lot, but after that we handle them as often as we can.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #525
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
How old are the chicks Denise? The first 2-3 days I try not to handle them a lot, but after that we handle them as often as we can.
They're 6 days today
Old 02-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #526
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

you won't hurt them a bit handling them, just be extra cautious of their scull because silkies can have weak spots but the more you hold them and let them eat from your hand the tamer they'll be.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #527
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
you won't hurt them a bit handling them, just be extra cautious of their scull because silkies can have weak spots but the more you hold them and let them eat from your hand the tamer they'll be.
I didn't even think of letting them eat from our hand, the kids will love that.
We are snow tubing with 4H today, I for some silly reason thought at 8 months pregnant it was a fine idea. I made it down the hill once and realized it was way too bumpy and not a good idea. So now I'm waiting in the car next to the hill so kids can pop into the car to warm up!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #528
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

oh no, ha ha! I'd save that one till April.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #529
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hey ladies

I'll be joining you soon! Someone's custom making us a coop and on the first we are getting 8 chicks from the local feed store

So excited! We've wanted this for years but finally love somewhere we can have them free range

Ignore typos...probably nursing, typing with one finger on my left hand while wrangling two toddlers. yeah, I'm that good.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #530
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelinoad View Post
Hey ladies

I'll be joining you soon! Someone's custom making us a coop and on the first we are getting 8 chicks from the local feed store

So excited! We've wanted this for years but finally love somewhere we can have them free range

Ignore typos...probably nursing, typing with one finger on my left hand while wrangling two toddlers. yeah, I'm that good.
Welcome!!!