Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #591
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Alright, I'm glad I let the Hovabator run all week before setting eggs. I don't know if it's that the last person that had it lost the plastic liner or what but the humidity in this incubator is really high even with all the vent holes open. It got up to 95%. I can't imagine what filling both places would do.

So instead of filling that little reservior, I put a sponge in there. Fingers crossed it works.

And the only sponge I have is a little yellow duck sponge from my daughters' bath crayons so these chicks will be incubating and hatching in style

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #592
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Ha ha cute!! That is really high, you might try not adding any water for the first part of the hatch and see how you do. Drier is actually better. Depending on your climate it may hold at 20-30% without any water at all.

OH my... Kojo the baby roo has decided he wants him a woman if he has to take one by force! Unfortunately he has eyes for only one, Greta. He chased her all over the yard, her screaming and carrying on all the while! She's never been mated as Fred will not mate her or her sister. If he manages to pull it off I'll be watching her eggs. If they turn fertile I'm hatching some! She's easily my prettiest hen!

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but I ordered more mottled AM eggs, and I'm trying a drier hatch this next time. I really wanted to start a breeder pen with these babies.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #593
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It was 15-17% with no water at all. Is that all right? Will 6-12 eggs boost the humidity a bit?

ETA: My visiting teacher from church brought me the prettiest pink eggs to eat. I was going to try to hatch them but she doesn't have a rooster.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.

Last edited by Squeaky McMurdo; 02-28-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #594
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

No that's a bit low, you will need a little water.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #595
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

poor lonely chick. Hoping some more babies decide to appear soon! Feel so bad for him cuddling up to the eggs.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #596
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have our first chickies!! We wanted to special order a variety of breeds but got inpatient so we went to the local feed store and all they had were white plymouth and red sexlinks. Might try to swap for a different breed or two at the next swap in a month Now to read up on what to do next
Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #597
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Oh they are so cute!!!!

Nothing from the rest of the eggs yet, I saw the wheaten AM egg rocking, so there's still life in there. I hope. The Mottled Am was getting lonely and very loud.. and with the liklihood that nobody else would hatch for at least another day (if at all) I went and bought her a friend. A black silkie my kids have dubbed Miss T. LOL I hope it's a Miss! I'll get pics of her tomorrow, trying to let them settle down and get used to each other and new surroundings.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #598
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on the new cuties everyone!

Liz!

About the humidity, I use a container for my water or it's too high in the hova. The eggs may add a bit, but I am unsure if it will be enough. Try and find a deep container with not much surface area, like a cordial cherry jar? It's the surface area that matters. But if you use something like a spong, it dries out fast and humidity may drop too fast for you to see and lead to problems. It's best to have something that will hold water for a cpl days. I have a yoghurt cup in that one. GL!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #599
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Aw Liz, glad she at least has a little friend
Beth they are adorable!!!!!

Nothing new here. Need to start getting the barn/coop ready It's now less then 8 weeks until my due date and I just feel like I'll go early, DS was born at 37 weeks. I want to have everything ready for them just incase! Next week the farm store will get their chicks in and we'll get a few EEs. I think they've finally got the hang of the water bottle(like the big guinea pig one that someone had suggest I get) I had been keeping the water dish thing in there too but have been noticing that they aren't going through nearly as much of it, and the bottle is emptying. So that's good, I saw somewhere getting a 5 gallon bucket and putting the nipples on the bottom so hopefully that will work for us once they move out to the coop.
So excited it's Friday, with no plans all weekend!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #600
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Congrats on the new cuties everyone!

Liz!

About the humidity, I use a container for my water or it's too high in the hova. The eggs may add a bit, but I am unsure if it will be enough. Try and find a deep container with not much surface area, like a cordial cherry jar? It's the surface area that matters. But if you use something like a spong, it dries out fast and humidity may drop too fast for you to see and lead to problems. It's best to have something that will hold water for a cpl days. I have a yoghurt cup in that one. GL!
good advice. I wasn't sure if there was space in there for a cup so I didn't want to say it without knowing. I have found a sponge inserted in a 1/2 cup of water really useful for lockdown though, it helps keep the humidity up so you can open the max amount of vents, the ventilation is important for the hatched babies that are waiting for the others.

AFM, this morning the babies are getting along well, Mrs. T (the black silkie) is teaching little Cara (the Ameraucana) how to eat. I'm glad to finally feel something in her crop. I know she really doesn't need it yet but she had a tough hatch and I can't help but feel like she's still a little weak. She got a chick-bath this am to get the rest of the sticky goop off her. She's a cutie. So tiny! I'll get pics in a bit.

The wheaten AM in the bator has pipped, please say a little prayer for him/her. I would be ecstatic to see the lavenders do anything but I didn't really see any movement from them yesterday like the wheaten was, so I'm not counting on it.

ETA: I egg-topsied the last mottled am egg that had not pipped. Baby did not internally or externally pip, looks like a day 19 or 20 quitter as the yolk was not absorbed at all but baby was fully formed. I feel a little better knowing that. Means it may not have been something I did at all. Still waiting on the wheaten baby. Nothing from the lav's yet and I've given up on the silkie and expecting another day 20 or so quitter.

Here's the promised pics

"cara" (Riley named her) is a mottled ameraucana. First attempt at vent sexing was a little iffy, but it appears she is indeed female. Woot!

"miss T" (Connor named her) is a black silkie, bearded I think?

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 03-01-2013 at 11:39 AM.