Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #601
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Good news - YESSS!!! I have a lavendar with a pip!!!

Bad news - the silkie was a quitter, looks like about the last time I candled maybe day 15?

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #602
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awww, fluff pics! Makes it harder to have to wait a few more weeks~!

Liz, YAY for the pip......maybe you will get one more after that one!

Sarah, thanks for the humidity tip.

What humidity do you guys run your bators at for hatching, then at lockdown?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #603
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

me- 35-40% days 1-18 then 55-60% lockdown.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #604
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Liz Can't wait to see more pics!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #605
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Well more good/bad news. Wheaten baby is working it's way out chirping like crazy. I noticed that the membrane looked dry on lavendar baby, so I pulled it out to wet it and baby wasn't responsive. Candled it, baby actually never pipped internally. Tried to pip externally and never made it thru the membrane. It also had an unabsorbed yolk. Candled lav egg #2, it was rotten. That was the one I was never quite sure on because it was so porous and dark. So one more baby probably.

I'm going to replace my hygrometer. The face of it got wet when I took it out of the bator and the water container splashed it and I think it may have been reading wrong the whole hatch. I had such a great hatch the last time I don't think this could possibly be "all just shipped eggs". Too many late quitters with unabsorbed yolks, never pipped or really gooey inside. I'm leaning toward my temps being too high or low and maybe the thermometer never read right.

I'm getting more mottled eggs next week to try again, and I might be able to bargain some more lavender chicks too. The little lav. was so sweet.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #606
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So I found a jar that will fit in the incubator with two of the turning trays removed and it keeps the humidity at 40%....but having it in there makes the temperature go up to 102

In other news, we get our eggs tomorrow! My 4 year old has already decided that one of our future chicks needs to be named Star

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.

Last edited by Squeaky McMurdo; 03-01-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #607
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
So I found a jar that will fit in the incubator with two of the turning trays removed and it keeps the humidity at 40%....but having it in there makes the temperature go up to 102

In other news, we get our eggs tomorrow! My 4 year old has already decided that one of our future chicks needs to be named Star
You will have to adjust the temp down. Adjust a teeny tiny amount and then wait an hour to see what it does. Keep going until it holds about 99-99.5.
Congratulations on the eggs!

AFM, we have our last chick. The little wheaten AM is out and screaming his or her little lungs off in the bator. When he's dry and not trailing his umbilical I'll put him in with the other 2. Pics later when he's dry.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #608
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sorry, heat lamp pic... here's the newbie sleeping it off in baby purgatory while the other two dig to China. LOL Can you see him/her? She blends into the shavings perfectly!

Incubator is clean and sterilized. Waiting on more eggs! Thinking of setting some of my own with the next batch as a test to see if it's the incubator or the eggs. I'll just sell those.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 03-01-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #609
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great pics!

My lavs were late hatchers due to size. Sorry for the loss Liz!

As for humidity, I try to keep at 30, max 35. Then day 18 I place in the hatcher that I keep at 60, or as close as possible. I keep both at 100 deg because of the fan. I keep reading with a fan should be close to 101, but that makes me nervious.

Just sold 11 pullets and Grace. They got a top notch loving home though! $100! Woot! That is going towards the dang excrow for our insurance. They forgot to add the diff on insurance last year so now we own the $750 for last and this years! :bandhead:

Now with this awsome snow we are headed out for the day again! Boy we have gone through just about ALL of the lumber and cut wood we have! Time to clear the mess on the other side of the fence. That's mostly pine though, ugh. Gotta get the coops cleaned again. It's turned into a daily must with the weather. I was doing every other day.

Off to work and freeze my hump off, lol.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #610
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah that stinks but I'm so happy for you that you have found something that you LOVE that helps keep you afloat. There's nothing better than that! Do we get to see finished pics of the breeder pens with babies in it or what? LOL!