Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #631
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Oh, and I"ll go add shavings to their tote until we figure out what to do and see if that helps. I only have sawdust though from the wood shops saw not actual cedar shavings. Will that still work? We use it inthe bottom of our lambing barn and then cover it with straw.
I personally would be leery of sawdust. Not only is it very fine and could cause a blockage if they decided to eat it, but it holds moisture a lot longer. I got a bag of shavings from the feed store a while back that was still slightly damp. It stunk even when clean. I wound up tossing it in the rooster pen outside. I know sarah uses cedar shavings with good results but there's some question of whether the aromatic oils in cedar with a heat lamp could be toxic to very young chicks. Being that yours are older, that might be ok.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #632
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I deff would avoid the dust. Is it from natural wood or pressure treated? Either way though, chicks love to nibble on the small shavings. Cedar would be best for inside, but if they arn't in the home, pine is ok. I get mine for about $4 a bale. Straw or hay will be a matted up mess also. Do you have a mill close you can get a truckload of shavings from? We have a cpl and it's around $10 for the truck, one loader bucket. LOVE their stuff. The window in the truck is busted though. Is the coop large enough to section them off an area temp? I wouldn't let the hens mix with them though.

As for the egg issue. Deff what liz said. IMHO though, I'd butcher the main eater. She could have them all cracking eggs soon. It's like broodiness, contagious. I rarely hear of it being reversed and you don't know how long she has been doing it. I'm so sorry to hear that hun, what a thing to deal with now.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #633
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BYC had an article that said that blowing out some eggs and filling them back up with dish soap can help

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #634
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
BYC had an article that said that blowing out some eggs and filling them back up with dish soap can help
I read that, but they said mustard. I think I'd feel better about that then my birds eating soap.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #635
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's what I was thinking on the shavings too. The reason we cover it with straw is similar. If they're straight on it and breathing it they can get pneumonia. So I'll skip it with the chicks. Talked to DH about it. He said running a light out to the turkey coop would be easy enough. The turkey coop is just as weather proof as the chicken coop so I think that would be easier than sectioning off par of our chicken coop. We're leaving for church in a few min. but he said he'd try and get it done tonight. We'll see how that goes since I still have to go up to work and water and fix some stuff in my greenhouse. They may just have to stink until tomorrow. The days just aren't long enough to get it all done.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #636
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You sure said that right! I wish there were more hours in the day so things could get done. BUT, my back couldn't take it. I'd prob at least get a day of rest hear and there though, lol. I forgot you said the turky pen! Ah! Sorry, that sounds perfect. Once they are feathered in, it's time to go out, haha. Have fun at church hun!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 03-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #637
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, forgot... The reasion I needed to buy the 6 assorted reds is only 1 chick hatched out of the batch where Ray turned the fuse off. It's been with the lo that hatched just before it. it crys all the time. Now they are all playing and having a great time. I couldn't see it lonely anymore.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #638
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah I wondered why you bought chicks! Same reason I wound up with the silkie. The first AM hatched about 48 hrs before all the others. She was just screaming and I knew if I didn't get her a buddy she'd never sleep. The silkie is about a week old by my guess but she's very good with the littles. You won't regret having those reds, they're great layers!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #639
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm hatching a rainbow! Obligatory pictures:

The second dark one up looks purple in real life!

And the two light ones on the bottom are pink with brown spots! The person I got these from doesn't know who is laying those.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #640
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Early I know, but the heat comes fast around here and I was thinking about summer. Does anyone feed only morning and evening during summer and take the food away for the rest of the day? I'm wondering if it might cause boredom issues in my flock due to being penned.