Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #641
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
I'm hatching a rainbow! Obligatory pictures:

The second dark one up looks purple in real life!

And the two light ones on the bottom are pink with brown spots! The person I got these from doesn't know who is laying those.

Beautiful!!! Mama, what is your name? I feel silly calling people by their UN.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #642
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Sarah I wondered why you bought chicks! Same reason I wound up with the silkie. The first AM hatched about 48 hrs before all the others. She was just screaming and I knew if I didn't get her a buddy she'd never sleep. The silkie is about a week old by my guess but she's very good with the littles. You won't regret having those reds, they're great layers!
I know! I really love our rsl! LOVE!!! Most have whiteish wings and red fluff, so I believe those are rsl? The others are red/white mottled colored wings. SUPER curious what they are. It said either rir, rsl, or nhr. Squeal!! I'm so excited. They all appear to have single combs. It's allready driving me bonkers!!!
If I take pics, anyone up for a guessing game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
I'm hatching a rainbow! Obligatory pictures:

The second dark one up looks purple in real life!

And the two light ones on the bottom are pink with brown spots! The person I got these from doesn't know who is laying those.

Quote:
Early I know, but the heat comes fast around here and I was thinking about summer. Does anyone feed only morning and evening during summer and take the food away for the rest of the day? I'm wondering if it might cause boredom issues in my flock due to being penned.
My br's lay eggs like the spotted one. the spots look purple when wet. NICE!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Hehe, me too! I really have wanted to ask all the Momas their names, just too !
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #643
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I bet they are cinnamon queens Sarah! Ugh, I swear someone is picking Peanut's butt fluff again. I ordered more peepers and EVERYONE from last summer's hatchery flock is getting them. I dunno what is going on but it seems like all my hens from that place have had a pick problem at one time or another. I'm getting really tired of dealing with it and I think some of them are simply going to start being replaced. GRR.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #644
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

So I'm on modified bed rest for the next 3 weeks(I'm 33 weeks pregnant), so lots of bonding time with my chicks Thats all thats going on here. I want to get those EEs, but I'm thinking I might need to wait.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #645
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Hehe, me too! I really have wanted to ask all the Momas their names, just too !
Hi, I'm Chelsea

Dh's friend's wife is the real chicken owner and was there this time so she told me who all the eggs were really from. The green ones are from a buff EE, which is what I thought as soon as I saw her but her husband said they came from the one that I was right again is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. Her big rooster (the super friendly one) and one of her hens is a Barnevelder. I think one or two of the dark eggs are theirs so I'm hoping one is a roo that is like his dad. The other roo is a small Wyandotte so I'm not sure he's tried anything with that hen. She's twice as big as him.

The rest of her flock are columbian and SLW, RIR, a Leghorn, and various mutts.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #646
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

all righty... incubator update. i set the eggs from sarah last sunday, and just candled them tonight.

so far, out of 18:
11 are looking good -- definite veins and development
2 are looking iffy, but on the promising side
5 are probably a no-go -- including most of the ones marked as full cochin

we shall see. i'll candle the iffy's and no-gos again on wednesday or so. i think that's a pretty good start for shipped eggs, though! they were definitely packed with loving care. and that usps box...cracked me up. the bottom was my favorite, "whoops! turn me over!"

hey, denise! i'm pregnant too! 27w, and thankfully not on bedrest. although truly, an entire hyperemesis pregnancy could be considered modified bedrest. since it's that or the hospital... best of luck to you.
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #647
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
are you kidding me? call her squeaky! i think that'd be hilarious.
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #648
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyjoy
all righty... incubator update. i set the eggs from sarah last sunday, and just candled them tonight.

so far, out of 18:

we shall see. i'll candle the iffy's and no-gos again on wednesday or so. i think that's a pretty good start for shipped eggs, though! they were definitely packed with loving care. and that usps box...cracked me up. the bottom was my favorite, "whoops! turn me over!"

hey, denise! i'm pregnant too! 27w, and thankfully not on bedrest. although truly, an entire hyperemesis pregnancy could be considered modified bedrest. since it's that or the hospital... best of luck to you.
Oh my word, yep I had HG my whole pregnancy with DS, this one it was not quite as bad and it let up around 22-24 weeks and now I feel great! Definitely basically on bed rest with HG!

Glad your eggs are looking good!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #649
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Early I know, but the heat comes fast around here and I was thinking about summer. Does anyone feed only morning and evening during summer and take the food away for the rest of the day? I'm wondering if it might cause boredom issues in my flock due to being penned.
I'm curious as to why? We do that with our show lambs, but never have with any of the other animals. Our chickens have the grain feeder with thier layer feed 24/7 but they get fed twice a day (kitchen scraps, vegi peelings, ect...) and usually eat it all up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
So I'm on modified bed rest for the next 3 weeks(I'm 33 weeks pregnant), so lots of bonding time with my chicks Thats all thats going on here. I want to get those EEs, but I'm thinking I might need to wait.
So sorry. By the time we got home from church and got dinner all prepped ( I had sweet pork in one crockpot, pinto beans in another, and I had to shred the pork and get the cilantro lime rice into the rice cooker), got the invites written out for DS party this week, and up to my greenhouse so DH could help me fix a few things and I could spray for white fly it was late. While I sprayed DH and DS went and delivered invites. We're just doing a little party with a few kids from the neighborhood. So the chicks didn't get moved out to the Turkey COOP. Hopefully tomorow we'll have time. This actually works out well, I'm not sure why I didn't think of putting them out there. I was just so worried my house was going to stink like this for weeks because we got them so much earlier than usual. I Probably didn't think of it because we are usually doing chicks at the same time as we have turkeys in there, I'm not used to starting chicks quite this early. And we probably won't get our turkeys for another month or so. Then They'll spend a few weeks inside and hopefully we can have these girls moved into the big coop by then. That's the plan anyway. Thanks for helping me think it through. I sometimes get in my little rut and don't think of all my options.

Last edited by slimy72; 03-03-2013 at 09:29 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #650
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post

so far, out of 18:

11 out of 18 is excellent for shipped eggs (eggcellent? ) Take it easy pregnant mamas!

Chelsea, that sounds like it's going to be a fun surprise!

Laurel, I just read in an article that their body heat goes up by 45-50% when they are eating and taking the food away during the midday heat can help them stay cool. Mine only get modified free-range so that wouldn't be hard to do. Just don't know what could possibly entertain them otherwise. That's all chickens think about, right? Food? I think I must have been a chicken in a past life.