Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #651
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post
are you kidding me? call her squeaky! i think that'd be hilarious.
Lots of people really do call me Squeaky. And I'm a moderator on a kilt forum so what's even funnier is that at highland games a bunch of grown men call me by my user name.

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #652
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
Lots of people really do call me Squeaky. And I'm a moderator on a kilt forum so what's even funnier is that at highland games a bunch of grown men call me by my user name.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #653
RJ6Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My name is Erin and im a chick horder. I have 11 laying hens and 1 rooster in my flock. In my brooder I have 23 chicks now. Most of these are pullets because they cam like that to our feedstores. Their are some that were straight run. Anyways I do not know how I will get through this chick season if I keep seeing all these cute chicks at the feedstore. Everytime I go to one their is another breed and I just have to have 2 or 3. I am actually ok with the straight runs because I only buy large breeds and I can justify the roosters because we need meat. But the pullets just mean more layers and how many eggs do I really need. I have neighbors I can share with and I did say I was gonna get rid of my first hens that are only egg layers not good for a dual purpose. Also the new ones are all purebreads and the nicer ones my four kids will show in 4-h. I am a chick horder and I need a 12 step plan because I don not need 60 chickens laying eggs this fall after I have bought everything in site.
Erin married to Justin since 3/2/02 , EBF, CDing, BWing, vaxing, SAHM to 7 Kids, 6 on earth and 1 in heaven. Ruben James 9/10/99 , Robert Justin 10/5/02 , Rebecca Joy 12/5/03 , Raychel Jolee 3/30/05 , **Russell Jack RIP 12/14/06**, Rylan Josiah 7/3/08 , Ramsee Jayce 4/24/11
RJ6Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #654
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Welcome to the flock. As for suggestions, I have none and I don't think you'll find many here. We're all suckers for the little peeps!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #655
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Take it easy pregnant mamas!
we can't! we're nesting!!
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #656
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post
we can't! we're nesting!!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #657
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

LOL! touche!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #658
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Moved the 'babies' into a new bigger brooder to make room for the new bitty's due in 5 days! Simple set up, just an old dresser turned on its back. Not fancy but they really seem to like it. I am going to make a hinged lid for it later today too.

Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #659
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay please don't flame me.
Is there any small voltage electrical fence I can put up to keep chickens away from house and front yard. They have destroyed our flower gardens, our diet along the foundation of such out. All around the house and poo is every where on drive and sides and the go to the street and get hit. They have more than 2 acres behind us and acres to each side but they only want to be best the house . And destroying clean clothes on . The line jumping on them out getting on the trampoline. I can't afford to build an entire fence across back of house to the north and south fences so it needs to be along the lines of cheap and not ugly so low wastage electrical line is all we can come up with
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #660
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctj101502 View Post
Okay please don't flame me.
Is there any small voltage electrical fence I can put up to keep chickens away from house and front yard. They have destroyed our flower gardens, our diet along the foundation of such out. All around the house and poo is every where on drive and sides and the go to the street and get hit. They have more than 2 acres behind us and acres to each side but they only want to be best the house . And destroying clean clothes on . The line jumping on them out getting on the trampoline. I can't afford to build an entire fence across back of house to the north and south fences so it needs to be along the lines of cheap and not ugly so low wastage electrical line is all we can come up with
I won't flame you, I understand the frustration. Chickens are messy. I would avoid that entirely, go the cheaper/safer route and simply build them a large "run" which is a covered gated yard attached to their coop. It will be easier for them and for you. Mine have a run, they only go out for a couple hours a day supervised.

This is not my coop/run but an example of a nice pretty one.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/foru...icken_yard.jpg

Sarah, can you tell me how you mark a hen for egg gathering (your method). I think you said something about food color? I want to collect my brahma's eggs. I *think* I know which ones are hers but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 03-04-2013 at 02:08 PM.