Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
fostermommyJ
Registered Users

Anyone successful in domestic infant adoption when you already had children?

I am doing lots of adoption research today, and I was very surprised when I spoke to a domestic agency that said they couldn't work with us because we already have children. We have 3 children ages 4, 4, and 5 adopted through foster care.
I'm just wondering, is this typical of domestic programs?
I'm quite discouraged after talking with this agency.

Advertisement

fostermommyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
We did! We have two bio DD's and then adopted our son. We didn't have any of the several agencies we worked with have a problem with this. Our sons birthmom also liked that we had children as she wanted Abraham to have siblings.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone successful in domestic infant adoption when you already had children?

The agency we were with (we are no longer adopting) had a cap of 2 children, I've heard of some having limits but I'm sure you can find one that doesn't.
amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
practicingjoy
Registered Users

Re: Anyone successful in domestic infant adoption when you already had children?

Do you mind sharing what area you live in? I'm just now looking into domestic infant adoption in the Seattle area after having a biological son and three miscarriages, and hadn't even considered that as being an issue.
practicingjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
fostermommyJ
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by practicingjoy View Post
Do you mind sharing what area you live in? I'm just now looking into domestic infant adoption in the Seattle area after having a biological son and three miscarriages, and hadn't even considered that as being an issue.
I am in NC. From what I understand, many agencies have restrictions with regard to how many kids you can already have but it is definitely possible to find an agency that will work with you if you already have kids.
fostermommyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never ran into this personally when I was looking so it isn't an issue with the larger, national agencies. You will find it with some smaller, local ones. I know of one near me where you have to have no more than one child already.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Pea_inthepod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ours doesn't care if you have children. We have 2 bio kids and are in the process of adopting an infant. It is a local Christian outreach ministry tho, so a lot of things are different with them (plus a LOT cheaper...about $12k total)
Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My agency doesn't care if you have other kids but the wait tends to be longer. The majority of birth families at least with my agency tend to pick couples without any children. I waited 18 months for my son and have been waiting 4 1/2 years for the second baby. Used the same agency for both.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
NSB
Registered Users
seller

No problem with our agency. We had 2 bio DDs (7 & 9) when we were picked by our DS's birthparents. They loved the fact that he would have older, doting sisters
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
~Snoopy~
Registered Users
Formerly: cvj****
seller

My Mood:

Our agency that we did our homestudy through said they didn't have a problem, however when it came down to it they put up a fuss with us adopting so close in age to our youngest bio (they are 13 months apart). However, our birthmom loved that her daughter would have siblings close in age and her agency had no problems at all!
~Snoopy~ is offline   Reply With Quote