Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #111
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

What do you all think about paleo and kids who mainly eat fruit? My kids each seem to be eating about 1\2 cup of veggies a day and CHOWING down on fruit (seriously and 5 year old will eat like 10 servings of fruit a day). And they aren't eating much protien either...maybe 2oz of cheese and 2oz of meat each day. I really don't want to limit fruit but maybe I should.

Advertisement

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #112
hlbrown
Registered Users
seller

We are a 100% paleo family!! DH has a gluten allergy and my DS is lactose intolerant... DH has been doing it for 7 yrs. I started full-time after DS was born and in the past 4.5 months I've lost 40 lbs... it just keeps shedding off.
hlbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #113
hlbrown
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
What do you all think about paleo and kids who mainly eat fruit? My kids each seem to be eating about 1\2 cup of veggies a day and CHOWING down on fruit (seriously and 5 year old will eat like 10 servings of fruit a day). And they aren't eating much protien either...maybe 2oz of cheese and 2oz of meat each day. I really don't want to limit fruit but maybe I should.
Our rule is that whenever anyone eats a peice of fruit, they must have a form of protein with it to balance the blood glucose. We don't limit it otherwise
Ex: apples with a nut butter or strawberries and a deviled egg
hlbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #114
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 3yo is mostly a fruit eater. He will eat ham or salami and sometimes almond butter on an apple. Every once in a while he surprises us by chowing down and entire chicken breast or pork chop at dinner or eating half a bag of mini carrots LOL

I am going to finish up what we have in the house and then not buy bread this weekend. We'll see how long I last I am going to stock up on expensive, out of season fruits instead LOL I will eat pineapple and strawberries until my lips fall off.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #115
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlbrown View Post
Our rule is that whenever anyone eats a peice of fruit, they must have a form of protein with it to balance the blood glucose. We don't limit it otherwise
Ex: apples with a nut butter or strawberries and a deviled egg
Thats a good idea to makethem pair or alternate at least.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #116
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

How about just offering veggies instead of fruit? My kiddo (she just turned 2) will always go for the fruit but will tolerate the veggies if no fruit is given. She especially likes them when I'm enjoying them myself. Haha.

Cut up in the fridge we always have bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, Tillamook Cheese, roasted turkey breast, and wholly quacamole (since its often cheaper than buying avacados). She can have her pick. :-)

Don't get me wrong, we eat tons of fruit but we have to keep the veggies convenient.
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #117
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieSeeking View Post
How about just offering veggies instead of fruit? My kiddo (she just turned 2) will always go for the fruit but will tolerate the veggies if no fruit is given. She especially likes them when I'm enjoying them myself. Haha.

Cut up in the fridge we always have bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, Tillamook Cheese, roasted turkey breast, and wholly quacamole (since its often cheaper than buying avacados). She can have her pick. :-)

Don't get me wrong, we eat tons of fruit but we have to keep the veggies convenient.
Most of the time, my 3yo would rather not eat than put a vegetable or meat in his mouth =/ We were going to try that-- taking out all of the fruit-- and he didn't eat all day and then cried at bedtime because he was hungry, but still wouldn't eat what we were offering =( It was awful.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #118
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What is for dinner tonight?

I put some potatoes au gratin in the crockpot and I am going to regret it later and I have some bourbon street chicken tenders thawing and broccoli ready to steam. I'm skipping the chicken and eating broccoli and potatoes.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #119
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieSeeking View Post

There is always mini cukes, mini sweet peppers, baby carrots, cut celery, cheese, peeled hardboiled eggs, and lunch meats in the fridge that they can grab. I also always put a plate out on the table of raw veggies with dip for them to graze if they want. Usually they just lick the dip off...if I dont give dip they just ignore the veggies, lol!

Beyond meal time they forage for them selves (even the baby who is 2). They climb to get whatever they cant reach, and just bring it to me if they cant open it/peel it. I cant remember the last time I fetched /prepared a snack, lol! They know everything in the house is ok to eat whenever they want.

Maybe I should start limiting their access.....but thats a lot more work for me!

Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #120
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Dinner tonight is easy.....sliced trader joes natural hot dogs (they taste like sausage, not hot dogs...I was so dissaponted, lol!) A bag of frozen broccolli, handfull of shredded cheese.

Cook sliced hot dogs in about an inch of water until heated through. Drain water. Dump broccolli into the pan and heat until cooked. Turn off the heat, topp with cheese and cover until the cheese is melted. Serve with spinach salad.

I used to make it with polish sausage but I havent found a paleo brand yet.