Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #191
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
Is anyone trying a vegetarian paleo diet? I did come across someone who is trying it and was wondering if there was anyone else? I'm not exactly a vegetarian, but not a huge fan of meat and the quality meats are pretty expensive for us (and I'm not against getting quality stuff at all; we get a lot of better quality stuff for other foods...but I'm not keen on eating more meat; I'd rather eat less) I'm not paleo either, but I see a lot of valid points in the paleo mindset. I'd be curious enough to do a whole30 pescetarian ( ? ) style - I do eat eggs, though less than I used to, and occasionally fish and chicken.

My husband was also curious if on paleo, meat/eggs should be eaten every day and in what amounts? He is a meat eater but was wondering what paleos thought of doing say a meatless Monday?

Also, something I've been curious about... I've enjoyed baking some paleo treats on occasion, but most of them call for raw honey as a sweetener. To me,
cooking the honey defeats the purpose of buying raw honey (which is also kinda expensive), and if I'm going to use honey to cook, is it really that much more beneficial to use raw honey in baked goods? Curious to hear your thoughts on this!
I've been eating mostly paleo vegetarian with chicken and turkey now thrown in. I am really tired and bored with the diet and thinking about adding beef. I NEVER thought I would be talking about possibly eating beef again. I found it was most difficult to be veggie and paleo when visiting other people's houses. I don't want to explain all my various nutrition and dietary needs every time I am out because I think I will sound like a nut. So, I would just eat what I could in various settings (veggies with no dip, salad, etc.) and feel really hungry and deprived.

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #192
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

I have some random questions..

Can I freeze pulled chicken?

Can i Cook then freeze spaghetti squash?

What do you drink? I drink alot but its all terrible for me stuff :/
Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #193
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC

How do you flip your banana pancakes? I have tried making them a couple times hut can never flip them in the pan without destroying them. I have taken to baking them instead.
Thanks for reminding me about this recipe! Totally forgot about them. Made some thia morning on the griddle. I have to use 2 spatulas to flip.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #194
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Is there a paleo friendly dressing?

That I can buy and not attempt to make?

Also how much meat will two people.go though?

I plan to make a whole chicken ( chili cilantro lime) http://paleopot.com/2013/01/chili-ci...-lime-chicken/

And this pork shoulder. http://the21daysugardetox.com/three-...r-pulled-pork/

Heres what im thinking for meals
Breakfasts- for liam bacon or boiled eggs with fruit. For me nut butter and fruit.

Lunches- cuke sandwhiches or lettuce wraps. With fresh fruit and veggies.

Dinners-
chicken with grilled veggies
Pulled chicken on a salad.
Pork with sweet potato and frozen broccoli.

Snacks
Banana pancakes
Pumpkin pancakes
Raw veggies

I need more dinners :/

Last edited by monkeymama07; 02-24-2013 at 01:57 PM.
monkeymama07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #195
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have not found a paleo premade dressing. I LOVE this recipe from penniless parenting...its really easy to make and amazing.

Zest italian dressing
http:// http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2010/07/perfect-homemade-italian-dressing.html

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #196
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Re: Banana pancakes

First, I don't make them in a blender. I just mush up my banana like I would for banana bread. I make them tiny--like mini pancakes. They still scrunch up a bit. I also had 1T of almond flour to them. We use hard anodized (non stick) skillets and a silicon/metal spatula.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #197
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
How do you flip your banana pancakes? I have tried making them a couple times hut can never flip them in the pan without destroying them. I have taken to baking them instead.
I just tried them and they are so easy - but I made them tiny - like about a dozen pancakes worth for 1 banana + 1 egg. I also just mashed the banana and mixed it with the egg, plus added cinnamon and raisins. I tried baking them too; they definitely fluff up a bit more when baked though. The first one I tried eating was slightly eggy but I didn't really mind. I used butter and a cast iron skillet to keep them from sticking and I also use a thin metal spatula to get underneath the edges just before flipping them all the way.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #198
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnsmom View Post
I've been eating mostly paleo vegetarian with chicken and turkey now thrown in. I am really tired and bored with the diet and thinking about adding beef. I NEVER thought I would be talking about possibly eating beef again. I found it was most difficult to be veggie and paleo when visiting other people's houses. I don't want to explain all my various nutrition and dietary needs every time I am out because I think I will sound like a nut. So, I would just eat what I could in various settings (veggies with no dip, salad, etc.) and feel really hungry and deprived.
I stopped eating beef a bit ago and my husband made chili with beef and I was actually thinking of eating it too even though I didn't really want to, but ended up not eating it. I sort of have the opposite problem though - due to being interested somewhat in both vegan or vegetarian and paleo lifestyles, there are so many recipes I want to try - too many! But I can/should only eat so many bananas etc. in one day, lol. I love baking and cooking and experimenting with all kinds of recipes. If you have fb I came across "My Vegetarian Whole30" and found her page interesting, though I already eat similarly to her (but I do also eat fish and chicken sometimes.)

Totally know what you mean about having trouble at other people's houses! I was reading these tips for eating out at restaurants, about even calling them up beforehand etc., and it seems like too much work to me. I'd rather just eat at home. At other people's houses I don't really feel deprived when I don't eat something, but so far I do end up eating some stuff I'd rather not eat, just b/c it's there and I don't have my own stuff, or I don't want to seem rude or something, as well as also being a little reluctant to explain dietary choices. Not that you should just eat whatever is there if you feel like it's bad for you but I don't think it's good if you're feeling hungry or deprived.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #199
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

Hi everyone! New to the forum... I've been paleo since may 2012 because of newly found health problems/symptoms... Wondering if there's anyone out there who is on the "autoimmune paleo protocol"??
I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant and because I get reactions to most non-paleo foods, I don't cheat much.
Nice to see a paleo forum on DS!!
maddies.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #200
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddies.mom View Post
Hi everyone! New to the forum... I've been paleo since may 2012 because of newly found health problems/symptoms... Wondering if there's anyone out there who is on the "autoimmune paleo protocol"??
I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant and because I get reactions to most non-paleo foods, I don't cheat much.
Nice to see a paleo forum on DS!!
I have a chronic autoimmune/neurological condition. I am wondering if my yeast flare ups are all related as well. I truly want to just eat sugar and carbs and get on with my life, but apparently I can't. I would love to learn more about paleo and autoimmune connections.