Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: Do some babies just self wean early?

My first weaned at about 9-10 months. She would clench her mouth shut and shake her head no. I was pregnant again, and my milk had definitely changed, and apparently, she didn't like it. And now, she is 11, and has always been my most independent child. So, I also wonder if it was just in her personality.

My others have all nursed until 2 or past 2. My 2.75 year old (lol) is still nursing but only nurses 1-2 times a day. My 13 month old still nurses multiple times a day. I love nursing, and it gives me comfort as much as it does them I think. So I'm definitely one of those comfort nurser people. Oh, I do have to say that my 13 month old nurses for very short sessions. She has no attention span, so she will want to nurse, latch on, nurse for a minute, but then if someone comes in, or says something, or a light flickers, or someone turns on music, or if the cat comes up, or....you get the point...she will latch off and want to play. But then she will want to go back to nursing 5 minutes later. When she is tired she will nurse longer bc she nurses to sleep. Dh thinks she will wean earlier than my other dd, but I don't necessarily think so. It's just the age/stage. My 2.75 year old looooves nursing and doesn't want to stop. Nothing distracts her because it's her treasured time lol

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #12
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

My middle daughter weaned around 8 months old. But she also didn't like cosleeping or being held all the time. So she was always a little more independent. My oldest I nursed till 17 months and my youngest is 3.5 and still nursing. Yeah I know, all over the board! LOL

I will say though that around that age some babies go on nursing strikes. My oldest did that and it was tough to get her back to the breast but I was able to do it. Just a thought.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids always got SUPER distracted at that age, and went on sort of mini nursing strikes. I say "mini" because we don't use bottles, and don't replace nursing with table food, so after a day they were hungry (still very distractable) and went back to nursing.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I think so.my mil said all hers did at different times. few were over year old and few under.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #15
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only made it to 6 and 7 months with the boys. Once they discoverd table food the could care less about nursing. I don't comfort nurse and so far (3 for 3) sleep all night (9pm till 7am) by 3 months with no encouragement from me.

While I would love to make it to a year with DD, my main goal is 9 months.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #16
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
Yes, many do self wean at 9-12 months, especially common among babies for whom nursing was never a primary source of comfort or emotional attachment. We schedule as do most of our closest friends. Among our 37 children, 35 of whom were formula and supplement free, there were 8 who were didn't self wean until after 13 months. The vast majority lost interest in nursing as their interest in solids increased. Save the flames, please. I'm aware of all the claims of how solids are a waste under a year and how nursing to 3 is the best thing for babies. I'm simply responding to the op, that what you experienced with your children is very common in some circles, just less so among the ap crowd.
No flames from me either. Your views seem to line up with mine. I have always liked your posts.

I nurse for nutrition only and have no desire to nurse past 1.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

One weaned at 3 months, 1 at 9 months with pumping till a year, and the other till 11 mos. Currently BFing #4 and he does not appear to want to wean yet and is almost 9 mos.

Last edited by l_Kimmie_l; 01-02-2013 at 08:46 AM.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #18
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the babies that self wean early are the ones who don't nurse a lot for comfort. I think if supply is good and baby is dependent on nursing for comfort or getting to sleep, it is unlikely they will wean before a year. But, if baby doesn't really care except to get food then it's likely they will self wean before a year.

I've done it both ways. My first 3 were mostly for nutrition and my last 3 (including my 3 month old) were/are nursed for both nutrition and comfort although I don't purposely nurse my babies to sleep because I don't like associating it with sleep.

As long as you don't care if your baby weans before a year, it's fine. I didn't want mine weaning before a year. Plus, my body doesn't keep up my supply if I don't have a lot of stimulation (more than what is needed for nutrition). That is why I now demand feed and nurse for comfort as well as nutrition. If my body could handle only doing it for nutrition, I would be more scheduled about it because that is what I prefer.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-02-2013 at 09:08 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I think some do. Mine weaned at 11, 13, and 12 months. My supply decreases as I approach a year, so I have to supplement. I would've nursed them all longer if they had been willing, but they were content to stop when they did.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's actually not very common for a baby under 12 months to self wean. A lot of times it is a nursing strike, which can last a month or so, and then the supply decreases so much that the baby can't get back on. However, if one is able to keep up the supply the baby likely goes back to the breast and continues past 12 months. Majority of my clients, most are mainstream parents, will let their child self wean and it's usually between 18 and 24 months. Many toddlers do go longer though.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote