Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do some babies just self wean early?

I think some babies do. My oldest self weaned at about 9 1/2 months. She completely lost interest, and never regained it. I was sad about it for a while, but I'm not going to force a baby to nurse if they are done. She has always been super strong willed, lol. My boys weaned around 13 and 15 months.

Advertisement

I am a child of God.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
blackberry75
Registered Users

I always let my kids comfort nurse, though they where never big on it past 6m. Little Girl would only do it past then if she couldn't fall asleep or got a booboo. Both kids are pretty good about going to bed while awake (just barely ) and sleeping through the night. Nursing to sleep was only if their schedule was disturbed or they where sick, and Weeman not so much. He'd rather you just left him alone.

With Gman, I could barely pump an ounce a day and nothing at all for Little Girl once they stopped nursing. If they're not eating or nothing comes out for the pump, I'm not even sure how to tell if there's any milk at all. I didn't have any breast changes during pregnancy and never got engorged or anything after they were born. Heck, I barely produced any milk at all. There was a brief period where I was able to pump 4oz a day for Little Girl, but that only lasted a week. After that, I couldn't pump anything, so she had to have all formula while I was at work.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My middle son quit at 9 months. He bit me every time and refused to latch on. I had never supplemented and he went to a cup. He never even took a bottle. I had people give me a lot of grief over it, but I kept offering for six weeks and he screamed, arched his back and bit me. He never wanted to comfort nurse and has always been very independent. I think it is easy for people who haven't experienced it to call it a nursing strike. I didn't want it to happen and was sad when he did.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise
My kids always got SUPER distracted at that age, and went on sort of mini nursing strikes. I say "mini" because we don't use bottles, and don't replace nursing with table food, so after a day they were hungry (still very distractable) and went back to nursing.
Exactly. The age is super distracted so if they are getting bottles and lots of table food people think it is weaning. We don't do bottles here either but my DD is just about 10 months and I can understand why people think babies are self weaning if they are using bottles too.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98 View Post
My middle son quit at 9 months. He bit me every time and refused to latch on. I had never supplemented and he went to a cup. He never even took a bottle. I had people give me a lot of grief over it, but I kept offering for six weeks and he screamed, arched his back and bit me. He never wanted to comfort nurse and has always been very independent. I think it is easy for people who haven't experienced it to call it a nursing strike. I didn't want it to happen and was sad when he did.
My son was the same way with the biting, screaming, and refusing to latch. I also agree it's easy for people who haven't been through it to assume it's just a nursing strike; heck that's what I thought while going through it myself the first time. Gman is very independant, has been from day 1. He's the only baby I've ever know who was quite happy to play on his own as soon as he could roll front to back (he could roll back to front the day he was born). It kinda bummed me out because I wanted a cuddly baby, he had his moments, but for the most part he was happier on his own.

I was then and am now, sad that nursing ended so soon. My goal was a minimum of a year, but the fates decided otherwise.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #26
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry75 View Post
My son was the same way with the biting, screaming, and refusing to latch. I also agree it's easy for people who haven't been through it to assume it's just a nursing strike; heck that's what I thought while going through it myself the first time. Gman is very independant, has been from day 1. He's the only baby I've ever know who was quite happy to play on his own as soon as he could roll front to back (he could roll back to front the day he was born). It kinda bummed me out because I wanted a cuddly baby, he had his moments, but for the most part he was happier on his own.

I was then and am now, sad that nursing ended so soon. My goal was a minimum of a year, but the fates decided otherwise.
It is nice to have other moms who have been through it. I wanted to do at least a year too. It was also painful for me because he quit cold turkey. I still had a full milk supply. I do believe some babies just wean early.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #27
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I pushed nursing until about 13 months. The day I quit, she didn't notice or care. By then we were only nursing once a day anyways. She probably would have been fine to quit by 9 or 10 months but I tried hard to keep it going.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #28
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My last two children both stopped nursing at 10 months. They had both been taking one bottle a day from 6 months of age (easier to give them a bottle when out and about than try and nurse a wiggly distracted infant IMHO). I'm not in love with breastfeeding though, I do it because it's the right thing to do for my children, but when they're done, I'm usually quite relieved. So when they refuse the breast, I give them a bottle instead.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #29
vivid
Registered Users
seller

Oh wow I am so happy I found this thread. My baby is 9 months old and has been refusing the breast for about a month. She will BF overnight and first thing in the am but otherwise she arches and bites and fights me. I have been giving her bottles of pumped milk when she has refused to nurse all day and she takes those but only when she is very hungry.

She was never ever a comfort nurser (her choice, not mine!) and she loves solids (baby-led weaning). I thought I was crazy thinking she could possibly be weaning. Nice to see I am not alone! I have been struggling with such mommy guilt that I was starving her or something!
vivid is offline   Reply With Quote