Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
Khaag55
Registered Users
seller

Talk to me about softbums :)

Do you like them? Difference in the Omni and Echo? What do you stuff/lay in them? Do you have to use their stuff? The whole system is a little confusing to me purchase wise lol

Advertisement

Angela~mama to B(5/09) M(11/11) #3 6.11.13
Khaag55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
mamaspice
Registered Users

Re: Talk to me about softbums :)

I have an Omni. It is a really nice diaper. I don't use their stuff, I stuff it with a Thirsties Hemp Prefold for nighttime. Or I use it as an AI2 by trifolding prefolds in it. Or I throw it over a GMD Workhorse as a cover. It is really versatile, trim, and has a nice fit.

I hear the Echo is trimmer through the crotch- I may try it if I have another newbie but I have a toddler right now and like the pocket option so I will stick with the Omni. The Echo has no pocket opening.

It looks very nice and clean with the elastic sizing system instead of rise snaps and is very easy to use. I have the aplix.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:
Love these! Omnis are pockets, but you can also use it as a shell with pods. The best thing about these is that they are the only true one size diaper I have seen. You can get them really small for newborn and also use them on a 38 lb toddler.

Sent from my iPhone- forgive the craziness
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
Khaag55
Registered Users
seller

Do they adjust pretty easy? I currently have a 13 month old and a new baby coming in June. Would be great if I can switch between sizes kinda easy.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
Khaag55
Registered Users
seller

So I could pretty much use anything in them? Flip organics, flats, prefolds, and so on?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After trying DOZENS of styles of diapers, I use ALL Softbums all the time.

I prefer Echos for daytime and Omnis for nighttime. My 14-month-old is around the 10th percentile, so the Omni crotch is a little too wide to be comfortable for him when he's playing, but it's fine for sleeping. I have more success with Omnis at nighttime because I'm able to stuff bamboo (more absorbent per oz of fabric, but not stay-dry) into the pocket.

You can use anything you want for absorbency, but I really love their pods. For a newborn I'd suggest one mini pod, and for 4+ months, I'd suggest two mini pods (or one big pod). When we travel, I bring all of my shells and 12 flats. We usually stay at hotels that have a laundry room (I have only handwashed a couple of times) but I love how FAST flats dry so I don't have to pay for the dryer. Just hang them up in the hotel room and they're ready to go by morning.
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
kefm
Registered Users
seller

Softbums is our entire stash! I CD'd my daughter using them from 4 months (about 16 lbs) straight through to PLing (she was about 35 lbs when she PLed). I loved everything about them. The fit was great -- DD has always been in the 95th percentile, and they were very forgiving on chunky thighs and belly. We used Echos and Omnis, and the Echos were much trimmer, but the Omnis worked well too, especially as she got to the toddler stage. We have a pretty big selection of the dry touch, super dry touch, and OBV pods, but with DD we only used the OBV pods. She was a big flooder and the OBV pods were best with absorbency on that side of things. We never used them as a pocket -- just snapped in the pod. They worked great for everyone, including our daycare.

They are very adjustable, but I don't know that I would want to adjust them every time I put on the diaper -- if you decided to use them maybe some colors could be for your older child and some for your younger, and you just set them to the right fit?

I'm due with #2 (any minute), and we plan to use our Softbums right away. I didn't stock up on mini pods, so we'll see how KL0s (rental) fit under them for the time being, and then switch to our regular pods as soon as they're not crazy bulky on our little guy.

Hope that helps!
kefm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaag55
Do they adjust pretty easy? I currently have a 13 month old and a new baby coming in June. Would be great if I can switch between sizes kinda easy.
They fit my 2 year old equally as well as my 2 month old. It was a wash for us though when my dd figured out Velcro. My 2 yo ds didnt both with it. dd thought it was a great new skill.

Out of the 2 I prefer the omni. The echo is really trim on a newbie though. I used flats and prefolds laying them in.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Khaag55
Registered Users
seller

That's it! I'm buying an omni and echo come friday you talked me into it. Love that they will grow with my babies and they really sound like a true on size out of all the things we tried.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaag55
I don't think you'd want to adjust at each change, unless you were in a pinch. I agree with having a set for each kiddo preadjusted and designating color/prints for each.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote