Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
LittleLifeSize
Registered Users
Formerly: ****lberkeley
seller

K-Cup Coffee Maker

What's your opinion on the kcup machine. Is it more wasteful or less wasteful. I know for many its a taste and convenience thing. I have considered buying one for years, but I usually justify not doing it. Since I have attempted to become less clutter some, more streamline and helpful to the environment, I would love to gage some opinions on the Kcup machine from others.

Advertisement

LittleLifeSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:
Re: K-Cup Coffee Maker

I think they are horribly wasteful. (since you asked =D) The machine itself is very expensive and so are the cups, and the used cups can't be recycled as far as I know! You can get a reusable filter for the machine and use any kind of coffee you want, but if you are gonna do that you can just buy a $10 one-cup coffee maker from the dollar store. I have one of the cheap $10 ones and I use it with a reusable filter. I do like all the varieties of coffees that are made with the K-cup makers and my BFF got one, partly because I love to drink coffee and she keeps coffee I like around. I got her a reusable filter but she mostly uses cups. It is like you said, for convenience and taste. It is not resourceful at all.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with PP that they are extremely wasteful because the cups are not recyclable, but I absolutely love mine. I only drink one cup a day so it works great for me!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
mammato2
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree they are wasteful, but, i love mine, i don't use most of the k-cup varieties, only speciality ones like chai latte and such. For regular coffee and tea i use the "my k-cup" to save the garbage. I got my machine as a gift and would probably never have bought it on my own, but i really do love it.

Like me on facebook for a free discount code to the Etsy site!

Last edited by mammato2; 01-02-2013 at 10:06 AM.
mammato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

I'm another one who thinks they are very wasteful but love mine anyways. It is virtually zero mess and easy to use. I always feel guilty using it though.

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammato2 View Post
I agree they are wasteful, but, i love mine, i don't use most of the k-cup varieties, only speciality ones like chai latte and such. For regular coffee and tea i use the "my k-cup" to save the garbage. I got my machine as a gift and would probably never have bought it on my own, but i really do love it.
Ditto!! Mine was a gift and I love it, but I use the reusable filter for coffee and I'll sometimes buy the specialty k cups, but pretty rarely!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

They can be pretty wasteful depending on the model. The new vue has recycleable cups but is more expensive to start up. Like pp's mentioned you can buy the refillable cups and use any grind. I just consider it one of my splurges to buy the k cups. Dh and I waste FAR less coffee now. Seemed like I was throwing out 1/2 a pot every other day because either I'd make it and he didn't drink it or I never went back for the second cup I brewed. Brewing a cup at a time has been easier for us and admittedly, nice because we have different tastes.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Foxsma
Registered Users
seller

It's less wasteful IF you use the "my k cup" thing where you pour in your own grounds IMO
Foxsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Pea_inthepod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is wasteful...but I loved mine! We have the little filter cup that we use often, but I also love some of the k-cup flavors that I love too so we do will buy those! I actually open them up and keep the grounds for our compost pile/garden so I feel a little better about buying them. lol When I have friends over or on the weekends when we drink more coffee, we use our french press, so the Keurig only gets used during the week
Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you should check these out

http://www.solofill.com/

looks inexpensive and you can use regular coffee whatever brand amt you want