Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Homeschool "intervention"

My family had an "intervention" with DH over Christmas. They (my parents and siblings) think we should put our kids into public school. Their reasoning? I'm too tired with this pregnancy, and my sister's is even better. She is afraid they won't be "cool." Seriously?!? That's your big concern? I don't want my kids to be what she considers "cool." Somehow that's not what I'm going for. She's almost 30, has no kids and no plans to have kids. She may be "cool" but it took her 7 years to graduate from college and she works part time at Macy's in shoes. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but she does spend all of her money on alcohol and clothes. Hmmm, not exactly what I want. I guess we'll just be weird, unsocialized homeschoolers, cause I'm not ever going public school. Did I mention I have a degree in Elementary Education? I have taught in public and private schools. Apparently I'm not qualified though Just thought I'd share I can't keep it to myself!

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschool "intervention"

Oh wow! I just got a 'talking to' tonight also. My dad REALLY wants to see James in public school. Despite the fact that he's thriving in homeschool and actually doesn't WANT to do public school His ONLY reason for wanting to go to public school? Recess.

When I say "You realize you'll be at a desk for like 6 hours a day and only have 45 minutes (total) of recess in a day." he says "Oh...well never mind."
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Nobody but you knows what is best for your kids. I am in the same boat with dh parents. I have a ba in elementary education but they don't think I can teach my kids.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
His ONLY reason for wanting to go to public school? Recess.

When I say "You realize you'll be at a desk for like 6 hours a day and only have 45 minutes (total) of recess in a day." he says "Oh...well never mind."
LOL, that cracks me up! Good job with the reality check
Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
Nobody but you knows what is best for your kids. I am in the same boat with dh parents. I have a ba in elementary education but they don't think I can teach my kids.
Isn't it funny that one can be educated enough to teach classes of 35+ kids, but not qualified enough to teach a few of their own? My parents are the ones with the problem, but they are too chicken to tell me. They have to take it out on my DH, who is totally pro homeschool. I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
omahamama731
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm really sick with hyperemesis with Baby #4, and I'm already getting "don't you just want to put her back into school until you feel better?" from my mom & MIL... o_O Um...no. She's 6. In Kindergarten. She will be fine another month or so just being a kid while I vomit & gestate & then we'll be just fine. She was ahead anyway.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow! I know my IL's were skeptical at first, but I think they've gotten used to it. Now they are planning family vacations that we're invited to during next school year since they know we're not tied to a school calendar like everyone else. I think they're also come to realize that once I'm set one something you won't change my mind, and they know I have no desire to be "mainstream" on anything.

Oh, and our good friends who are a Public School Principal (husband) and PS Teacher (wife) now have their kids telling them they want to come and homeschool with us and let me be their teacher. LOL!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
R055ANA
Registered Users

I also have a teaching degree and how scratched my head about the whole can you really handle it. It is so interesting we can be pregnant and teach @ a brick and mortar school and that is fine. We can even have our own kids in the classroom, they are our students and that is fine. The moment we aren't in the brick and mortar school is when people think things will fall apart.

Renae, to your dad who wants your DS to experience recess I just heard a radio show about how schools are cutting down on recess time and some schools don't offer recess @ all.

Yrs ago before I started homeschooling I thought why do that to kids (homeschool), they will miss out on so many fun things like gym class and other specials. When my ODD was 4yrs old we went to visit the local PS. I ask where the gym is and was informed they didn't have a gym and did gym in the classroom??!!! You know this room is crowded w/ desks and everything else and I think to myself where can 25+ kids do gym in here? So much for gym being a reason to send kids to school : )
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahamama731 View Post
I'm really sick with hyperemesis with Baby #4, and I'm already getting "don't you just want to put her back into school until you feel better?" from my mom & MIL... o_O Um...no. She's 6. In Kindergarten. She will be fine another month or so just being a kid while I vomit & gestate & then we'll be just fine. She was ahead anyway.
I hope you are feeling better soon! I figure it will all even out. Some years we will get more done, some years a little less, but they will still be fine.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
Oh wow! I just got a 'talking to' tonight also. My dad REALLY wants to see James in public school. Despite the fact that he's thriving in homeschool and actually doesn't WANT to do public school His ONLY reason for wanting to go to public school? Recess.

I had this EXACT same conversation with my ds1 that and ride the bus! I told him even IF I ever had to put him ps I'd never let him ride the bus lol (not in this city at least
Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just started homeschooling this year. This week my dads girlfriend said to me, "it's you we're worried about. About your future. And your income". Seriously? I put my college on hold for my kids. I'm 34 and this is my 3rd time in college. Either I'll finish or I won't. Nit to mention that i've never asked then for help. My kids are the most important thing right now.

And then I called time4learning about a technical issue. I told her the phone number on another page wouldn't work...and she asked if I dialed 1 first. I hope I can dial a phone since I'm teaching my daughter lol. Sorry a little off topic but thought it was funny.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote