Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Getting Baby to STTN

i havent read much of the op comments but up until last night my son was waking four times every night. until his teeth came in and it was every 30 minutes for 3 weeks. we co slept to help us all get more sleep. after sobbing in my morning cereal and feeling like total crap on top of realising that he had his first tooth dh and i decided to give him a nice full bottle of expressed bm right before bed. we were also letting him cry it out for 5-10 minutes each night for about a week then would rock him in his pack n play to sleep. after the nice full bottle and no more teething problems he slept from 9pm- 5 am. nursed at 5am then slept until 8am. i woke up at 1am to pump so i have another bottle to offer him tonight.

so far it seems to be a very gradual process to avoid extreme discomfort on both ends. good luck and i hope you find something that works

pround young SAHM to Owen 5-21-12 married to my soul mate bill
cassie.sattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
Registered Users

You have had a lot of great suggestions so I second all of those! I think breaking the nursing to sleep habit is the first thing to try. I would read Dr. Ferber's book as well. Even if you don't want to let him CIO according to his guidelines he has some great insight as to how to break sleep habits.

I didn't have the nurse to sleep habit to break, but instead had the pacifier habit to break. I did let my LO CIO for a few nights and it worked like a charm. He still wakes at night for one feeding, but he his 26 lbs. at 11 months and eats SO much that I don't think I'm going to be able to break him of that for awhile. After that feeding he goes right to sleep with no intervention. So our schedule is 7-4 and then back down until 7 so I am up for maybe 15 mins tops. No diaper change. I think breaking that habit would drastically help your situation.

Also, in Dr. Ferber's book as well as Healthy sleep by Dr. Weissbluth they suggest a bedtime between 6-7pm. I know that seems early, but it is a good time for most little ones because it is before they get overtired and therefore are able to go down on their own.
Loving wife to my gaming, sports loving hubbie. Sahm to J 2/12 and L 10/13
UVASahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
My Mood:

Here's what finally worked for us at around 12 months with DD2:

Firstly, she was already in her own room.

Secondly, I got her two important things - a lovey (just a piece of fabric she attached herself to that she stole from my fabric drawer), and a toy that sings bedtime songs. I was trying to get her to attach to something else at night other than me. Any time she would wake up, we would wrap her in her "blanky" and turn on the music.

Then, most importantly, DH was the ONLY one to go into her room. So she would wake up fussy, he would go in, wrap her up, start her music, and sit in the rocking chair with her until she got sleepy. If I wasn't there, she didn't need to nurse and was content with daddy.

At this point, she was already pretty much done nursing during the day, so we were also weaning her from her bedtime nursing session. I changed up her bedtime routine slowly. Our initial routine was change diaper and into PJ's, then do devotions with big sister and pray, then nurse (usually to sleep). So I started nursing with the light on and not turning the light off until she was in bed first. Then we switched it up so she was nursing before devotions and prayer. Then eventually nursed before changing diaper/PJ's, and then eventually dropped the nursing session completely when she weaned at 14 months.
Krista , wife to Bobby, mom to Rosie (5), and Ellie (3) and Olivia (1)
The Fancy Pansy is offline   Reply With Quote