Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Does everyone wash their baby clothes before they use them?

I am just wondering if anyone uses them straight off the rack. I mean, what are some of the reasons people have for washing them first?

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does everyone wash their baby clothes before they use them?

I always wash all new clothing before anyone wears it. For me with my babies, it is definitely a cleanliness issue...you don't know what those clothes came in contact with from the time they were made until they reached the store shelves, plus all the different people touching them. There's also the issue of some clothing having bugs or mites (I forget exactly what kind), I know some people that just throw their new clothing in the dryer to kill any bugs. I just feel a lot better washing everything and knowing it is nice and clean, and like I said, especially for my babies.
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do - & not just for babies!

My top 3 reasons:
1. Wash off any residue from manufacturing and/or packaging
2. I don't know how many hands have touched it & don't trust their hygiene practices
3. Make our clothes smell like home - more comforting than store smells
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
We do - & not just for babies!

My top 3 reasons:
1. Wash off any residue from manufacturing and/or packaging
2. I don't know how many hands have touched it & don't trust their hygiene practices
3. Make our clothes smell like home - more comforting than store smells
exactly!
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I do, I'm a stickler about that for newborns. now with my DD I prefer to wash them but if they get worn right off of the rack I don't mind, she comes in contact with more germs just going to my sisters. But newborns are so susceptible to new bugs I don want to risk it.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Always for everyone. Gets rid of excess fibers and anything that may have come over from china, etc.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Hmmm...I never really have because I like how new they look when they are off the hanger. KWIM? When you wash them they just don't look the same. I am always sad that first wash, lol. I guess I figure that what are they really going to get from clothes. good points though, maybe I will have to consider washing them first. My mom is a nurse and she says she washes everything first because bed bugs is big where she lives.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
papoosecaboose
Registered Users
seller

I don't think I ever used to then I read an article (sorry I can't remember where) that made me think differently. This lady was on vacation and had forgotten underwear. She bought some and wore them right out of the package w/o washing. Within a day or two she started getting sores and feeling sick. Turns out she developed a sensitivity to whatever chemical the underwear was coated with. I believe she still has health issues because of it. I never realized our clothes could contain chemicals, but it makes sense - they're in everything nowadays.
And I've always been careful to wash resale or garage sale clothes. Bed bugs scare the heck out of me!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
tricia17lee
Registered Users
seller

DDC, I'm a June mama but wanted to comment

I wash all new clothes for sanitary and chemical concerns. Baby clothes are less likely to be contaminated from try ons and returns with tags still on, but they've been handled by many hands just getting to the shelves.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=9482373

The biggest reason I was is here:
They treat fabrics for the manufacturing and shipping process. Flame retardant pjs , especially brand new, scare me...same for bedding.

http://m.naturalnews.com/news/037038...s_washing.html
tricia17lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

hmmm...well I have been itching for something to do since I have nothing to keep me busy with nesting. I guess I will wash and refold all her clothes Better safe than sorry and they will smell like lavender so that's nice btw anyone using the target brand pristine clean detergent? I am so in LOVE! It has a great scent that isn't overpowering and my diapers have never been so fresh and clean!