Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Re: Idea for coats if a closet isnt available?

This is one of the things that makes me crazy too, I hate visible coats.

In a rental, I "hid" the coats a tad by putting the coat hooks on the wall in between 2 bookcases. I don't know if this is feasible in your space, but it sort of "framed" the coat area. The bookcases hardly held anything ... I kept the shelves widely spaced with lots of "open" area. On one shelf each person got to have 1 pair of shoes. Then they each got a shelf with a spot for a backpack, and then a very small "catchall" bin ... when they forgot to clean up after themselves, I'd put the stuff in their bin, which they had to empty often.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
This is one of the things that makes me crazy too, I hate visible coats.

In a rental, I "hid" the coats a tad by putting the coat hooks on the wall in between 2 bookcases. I don't know if this is feasible in your space, but it sort of "framed" the coat area. The bookcases hardly held anything ... I kept the shelves widely spaced with lots of "open" area. On one shelf each person got to have 1 pair of shoes. Then they each got a shelf with a spot for a backpack, and then a very small "catchall" bin ... when they forgot to clean up after themselves, I'd put the stuff in their bin, which they had to empty often.
I have seen this done before too, and they went a step further and put a curtain between the bookcases so you couldn't see the coats.

What are your space restrictions? I am assuming you can't put a freestanding armoire there, and we don't know if a hall tree would fit.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we bought a coat rack from ikea, 6 hooks plus cubby space for the kids. they only have one coat, plus snow pants and school bags and church shoe bags. their mitts/hats/etc go into the cubbies.

we also have 4 hooks (came with the house) just inside the door that dh and I hang our coats on. I have one coat, he has like, 4 or 5 (drives me crazy) so I try to move the coats he's not actively wearing upstairs to our storage closet periodically.

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we bought a coat rack from ikea, 6 hooks plus cubby space for the kids. they only have one coat, plus snow pants and school bags and church shoe bags. their mitts/hats/etc go into the cubbies.

we also have 4 hooks (came with the house) just inside the door that dh and I hang our coats on. I have one coat, he has like, 4 or 5 (drives me crazy) so I try to move the coats he's not actively wearing upstairs to our storage closet periodically.

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
I have seen this done before too, and they went a step further and put a curtain between the bookcases so you couldn't see the coats.

What are your space restrictions? I am assuming you can't put a freestanding armoire there, and we don't know if a hall tree would fit.
This is the space:

012 by harmoni247, on Flickr

I've cleaned up the top of the dresser and the things on the wall, and all of their backpacks are in that dresser now. I can fit the shoes in the dresser as well if the boots stay out and slippers stay by their beds. I could probably fit an armoire, but it would be crowded and I don't want to spend that. I don't think a coat tree would fit everything? I tried moving the chest in our bedroom and DH threw a fit because it stops our blankets from falling on the floor at night. Hes a weird one. I'm still trying to convince him though....
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IDK if you saw the pic of the entryway I put in the mudroom thread:

And I hear ya on not wanting a big armoire in that particular space. The shoe drawers above are $30 for three (and there are six in the pic) at Ikea, but they are plastic. BUT, you could maybe do a short bookcase with doors (like what they have in the closetmaid sections of big box stores) to put boots in, or don't put the shelves in, add a real board to the back and put hooks for coats in it.

You could also do a storage bench there, but IME those can be pricey. It's possible to recreate one with a thrift store coffee table with baskets underneath.

Does any of this appeal to you at all? I know most of it is the visual appeal to you, and I'm afraid I am more comfortable with coats and shoes showing than you are.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #17
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh nice topic! We don't have any closets in this house except for the tiny ones in the bedrooms, and this has been on my mind. Luckily it's not too bad since it's just 2 adults and a toddler here.

There's a small basket for the baby shoes on the floor, and 4 hooks on the wall for coats we use regularly. I leave my one pair of shoes by the door. Everything else that isn't used often gets decluttered or is stored in the bedroom closets for winter or whatever.

Although having the hangers by the door does annoy me, and I think I'll have to borrow an over-the-door idea for the hall door. That way it would be out of sight, and when the baby slams the door in to the wall it would have something to soften the hit! That door is only about 15 feet from the door, so I think it's do-able.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Indymomof3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do not have any closets on the first floor of my house. Our house already had hooks at the top of our basement stairway and I also use an over the door 6 hook towel rack in my first floor bathroom for coats. I have a storage bench by my front door for shoes. We have 7 people in our house.