Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Broken ankle?

Okay Amelia hurt her foot. I am not sure how. I was making dinner and they were playing in the other room. All the sudden she started screaming, when I went in she was laying on the floor, she crawled over to me. I tried to stand her up and she wouldn't put weight on her left foot. She cried for awhile and wouldn't stand up. So I went to the doctor. Our ER was swamped and while we were in the waiting room she got off my lap and walked. The doctor saw her walk and said if she started not wanting to walk again to come back.
Well we went home, she ate supper, had a bath and still is being weird about her foot. She walks but sometimes she cries, sometimes she doesn't. I am still concerned.

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Broken ankle?

Emmaleigh broke her foot when she was 4yo. She would not walk AT ALL! The thing about fractures especially with kids though is that unless it is a displaced fracture they may not even be able to see it on an x-ray until it begins healing and they can see the calcification. Here is takes days if not weeks to get in to see an orthopedic so I usually call and make the appt. right away and then we can always cancel it as it gets closer. The ER here would maybe take a film and splint her then tell us to take her to an ortho.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

If you are worried, I would take her to the doctor (an orthopod). DS broke his ankle last year at school and could walk at first, but then it got progressively worse. I woke him up that night to use the bathroom an he screamed when he put his foot down. We took him to te ER first thing when he woke up and sure enough it was broken and he was splinted and given crutches and instructions to see an orthopedist. He ended up being in a cast for 4 weeks.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I was entirely sure that I had broken something in my foot last winter. I had jumped off the couch and not realized my foot was asleep. I heard a crunch and everything. I could put a bit of weight on it so thought i was good. By morning it was huge and I couldn't put weight on it. After 5hrs in emergency I was told I had a sprain. Apparently you can hurt yourself REALLY badly and not break anything, but I don't know what would have been different if I had broken it? I really couldn't walk for days.

Maybe make an appointment for the doc for a couple of days time and see how she is?

As an aside.. those 5hrs I spent in emergency were some of the most pleasant I'd had in ages! I took a book and an ice pack and had DH drop me off at the hospital in the nicer neighbourhood. So sad that that was a highlight of my year but it's true!
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay I am going to take her tomorrow I think. She is asleep right now.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
txmommytobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Even if she is walking it could be broken. My son broke his last year and walked on it for 2 weeks .

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
I was entirely sure that I had broken something in my foot last winter. I had jumped off the couch and not realized my foot was asleep. I heard a crunch and everything. I could put a bit of weight on it so thought i was good. By morning it was huge and I couldn't put weight on it. After 5hrs in emergency I was told I had a sprain. Apparently you can hurt yourself REALLY badly and not break anything, but I don't know what would have been different if I had broken it? I really couldn't walk for days.

Maybe make an appointment for the doc for a couple of days time and see how she is?

As an aside.. those 5hrs I spent in emergency were some of the most pleasant I'd had in ages! I took a book and an ice pack and had DH drop me off at the hospital in the nicer neighbourhood. So sad that that was a highlight of my year but it's true!
I wanted to "like" this!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #8
lovebear
Registered Users

Get her checked up just to know if there's really a problem with her foot before it progressively get worse. I am guessing that she's afraid of the doctor when she began to walk like there's no pain in her foot.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She wasn't afraid of the doctor at all, she walked toward him and smiled.

She woke up this morning, no swelling and is walking okay. I think she might have just twisted it.