Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Parents who selective/delay vax: a vent

I have to vent about my doctor, and thought you ladies might understand.

My mom is a nurse, so we never questioned vaxes until it popped into my head around the time ds was 18 months after reading several threads on here. I thought my doc was equally holistic and modern, understanding each has its time and place, since that's how her visits seemed to trend with us.

Anywho, I remember asking if I needed to worry about any shots at his 1 year check in October of 2011, since DS's aunt has aspergers (a form of autism). She said no, but since we were doing a flu and chicken pox shot, she wanted to wait a month on MMR. We went in a month later for MMR. Again, this was before I had read up on which vaccines did what and how.

Fast forward to DS today, a happy healthy 2 year old. I keep getting notices from our state that say he hasn't had his MMR shot yet, even though he got it last year. So at his 2 year well-check I asked doc about it. She said since chicken pox is a live vaccine, and he got his MMR three weeks later, his immune system wasn't strong enough to form immunities to MMR and he needs another one. Let me say, now that I've read up, MMR is one we are delaying until 4 with our next baby since there are both autism and autoimmune issues in our family, which seem to be big red flags for the MMR shot. She pushed me to give ds another one, I said no, and he didn't get it. He SHOULDN'T have gotten the first dose. THEN I read up, and it says those with histories of autism OR autoimmune illness in the family should wait till 4 and SHOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN A LIVE VIRUS VACCINE IN THE LAST YEAR!!!!! He had the live pox vaccine three weeks prior. And I asked her about it right there in the room. It wasn't like she forgot. She didn't KNOW!

I am beside myself. How does a doctor not know this? I'm so happy he seems ok, but he's only two. And there's no way he's getting it again before 4! His 5 year booster will be plenty. And have you read the side effects??? I should expose him to all of that again, why???

Ok, vent over. I need some lovin'.

Advertisement

I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Parents who selective/delay vax: a vent

That is incredibly frustrating! I like going through an immunization clinic better, they know all the ins and outs and it prevents any conversations I don't feel like having with my doc.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Where did you read that he shouldn't have a live vax before 4? The current recommendation is that MMR can be given the same day as other live vaccines. But, if it isn't given the same day, it should be separated by 28 days. Your doctor's awareness and the stock he puts in what you read would depend on the source of your information. There is no link between autism and MMR. The one "doctor" who posited a link was completely discredited and his research was fake and has not been replicated.

As for possible side effects, you have to do what you are comfortable with. But the potential side effects of any medication can sound horrendous.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids
Where did you read that he shouldn't have a live vax before 4? The current recommendation is that MMR can be given the same day as other live vaccines. But, if it isn't given the same day, it should be separated by 28 days. Your doctor's awareness and the stock he puts in what you read would depend on the source of your information. There is no link between autism and MMR. The one "doctor" who posited a link was completely discredited and his research was fake and has not been replicated.

As for possible side effects, you have to do what you are comfortable with. But the potential side effects of any medication can sound horrendous.
Dr. Sears? And his shots were 24 days apart :/

I know about the whole study with autism, but the autoimmune bit IS founded by science. Many of the side effects are auto immune in nature, and if you body has a predispensation toward autoimmune illness (which ds's does, since everyone in my family has some version of), it should be put off until the body is stronger.

I mean no sarcasm, but your response kinda made me sound like a crazy. I'm thinking this is because of the medium of your comments (message boards are sometimes hard to read for emotion and tone), and I simply misread your thoughts?

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry. That would annoy me, too, that she had you come back within 28 days for the MMR. I am now a delayed vaxer with DS2 since DS1 has a serious speech disorder and related motor planning issues (and may have other issues not yet diagnosed, like Autism, in my opinion). I don't think it likely that the vaccines caused these issues, but when I think about how basically he is brain damaged in a certain part of his brain, it scares me enough to not want to expose DS2 to the same. And I was a huge pro-vaxer before.

I was able to find a pediatrician who is very laidback about vaccine timing - there is no "deadline" on any of the vaccines (except Rotavirus), so there is no rush for DS2 to get any. I think we may begin at 2 years old. (Of course, hopefully he does not contract any diseases in the meantime).

Also, maybe look into opting out of your state's vaccine registry if you intend to selective/delay vax.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSWmama
I'm sorry. That would annoy me, too, that she had you come back within 28 days for the MMR. I am now a delayed vaxer with DS2 since DS1 has a serious speech disorder and related motor planning issues (and may have other issues not yet diagnosed, like Autism, in my opinion). I don't think it likely that the vaccines caused these issues, but when I think about how basically he is brain damaged in a certain part of his brain, it scares me enough to not want to expose DS2 to the same. And I was a huge pro-vaxer before.

I was able to find a pediatrician who is very laidback about vaccine timing - there is no "deadline" on any of the vaccines (except Rotavirus), so there is no rush for DS2 to get any. I think we may begin at 2 years old. (Of course, hopefully he does not contract any diseases in the meantime).

Also, maybe look into opting out of your state's vaccine registry if you intend to selective/delay vax.
This is a good idea. Our state does allow it based on personal wishes (or however it's worded), so I might look into this! Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post

I know about the whole study with autism, but the autoimmune bit IS founded by science. Many of the side effects are auto immune in nature, and if you body has a predispensation toward autoimmune illness (which ds's does, since everyone in my family has some version of), it should be put off until the body is stronger.

I mean no sarcasm, but your response kinda made me sound like a crazy. I'm thinking this is because of the medium of your comments (message boards are sometimes hard to read for emotion and tone), and I simply misread your thoughts?

Actually she always makes comments like those in these kinds of threads, so it's not just you.

I totally agree with you. Also I think that it's known that babies born by c-section are at greater risk of auto-immune issues (particularly digestive), and that would also make me vaccinate very carefully (or not at all, but that's up to you).

I also understand how hard it is to speak up with a doctor when you're there in the office. I went into my daughter's first few appointments knowing that I wanted to delay or opt out of vaccinating completely, but somehow I got talked into giving her one of them. I just got the "white-coat" fear when I was there and forgot about my own research and convictions. I went home and did more research to make sure that I was sure enough about my decision that I wouldn't be manipulated again into doing something that I wasn't comfortable with for MY child.

And actually Dr. Wakefield's research has been replicated. Anyone who can't see that the mainstream media is constantly manipulated by big business, pharma, and the government, has no credibility imo.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
I also understand how hard it is to speak up with a doctor when you're there in the office. I went into my daughter's first few appointments knowing that I wanted to delay or opt out of vaccinating completely, but somehow I got talked into giving her one of them. I just got the "white-coat" fear when I was there and forgot about my own research and convictions. I went home and did more research to make sure that I was sure enough about my decision that I wouldn't be manipulated again into doing something that I wasn't comfortable with for MY child.
Ugh. This happens to me too. I always second guess myself when the nurse freaks out about my kiddos being "behind on shots". Luckily our ped is on board with delayed vax, so now I know I can just tell the nurse I'll talk to the Dr about it.

OP, you've educated yourself on the risks/benefits. Don't let anyone make you second guess yourself (unless they're a doctor and can sit down and discuss the research with you outside of a rushed appointment!!)!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post

I don't intend to offend by my posts. I am a straight forward writer and rarely couch my posts with emoticons or other "emotion." Vaccines tend to be a hot topic. The fears surrounding them are real, but are often annecdotal or based on twisted science.

You LO should not have received the 2nd shot only 4 days after the first. Personally, I would consider having the doctor check his immunity with titer levels next time you do bloodwork. Given that the 2nd MMR isn't a booster, but is meant to increase the percent who are immune, I would check for immunity first if you are concerned.

I am curious about the research you have that says to delay if there is autoimmune disease on your family.

I am not sure I understand what mainstream media has to do with Mr. Wakefield (he lost his license due to his fraudulent research). Mainstream media spent years on the Wakefield bandwagon publicizing what turned out to be a fraud.

Last edited by z2akids; 01-03-2013 at 03:36 PM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote