Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
Vax Question...Multiple shots or multi-shot

Quick question...

I asked Dr. Google, but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

From my (limited) understanding, it is more beneficial to have individual shots(measles, mumps, rubella) instead of the MMR if you choose to have less strands at one time. ALTHOUGH, you are puting the body at more "risk" for taking 3x the amount of preservatives and additives in each indvidual shot. Correct?

My SIL was told by her doctor that many pediatricians are now recommending the single shots in ONE visit. So her son(who has mitochondrial) had 5 single shots(M, M, R, D, P) in one visit because "there are different chemical make ups in the multi shot opposed to individual shots, thus less chemicals at once for the body to handle"

Which confused me, because if you're going to do them individually, why do them all at the same time? She said the nurse said "different makeup to the shot" But I can't find information backing this up?

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vax Question...Multiple shots or multi-shot

Hm. I've never heard that.

And from what I understand, you're going to have a difficult time finding the individual shots. Pharmaceutical companies don't make them in small lots. Unless the doctor is willing to buy a lot and use it, you may be on the hook to buy an entire order. Insurance won't cover that purchase either.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Maybe it was something specifically to do with the mitochondrial issues, and not applicable to the majority of people??
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Maybe it was something specifically to do with the mitochondrial issues, and not applicable to the majority of people??
She said it was an office thing, where they only offer it that way now. As far as his mito, its just that he breaks down things differently and that less chemicals is easier. Hmm..

Ignore typos...probably nursing, typing with one finger on my left hand while wrangling two toddlers. yeah, I'm that good.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

MMR is no longer made as individual shots. Nor does Merck plan to restart production.

https://www.merckvaccines.com/Order-...s/SupplyStatus. - if you look at the heading monovalent